mediatemple gridserver status?

Hello!
    Im one of those who left mediatemple a while back. I had a quite busy site where availabilty was kind of the key to success. So i made quick move.

However. This was about a month ago. I'v read some stories here about mediatemple
    getting their act together and decreasing the errors. And recently (on 01/01/07) we kind of re-launced a magazine that is still on a grid server account with confidence.

But...Even though completly dead connection is almost gone, the mysql errors doesn't seems to have calmed down. In fact, tonight is close to as bad as the peaks when i left. And if mysql is down, the magazine is down.

Did we just went for a very unlucky time of release? Or are the problems still as intensive?

What was december like?

I moved my project to pair, thinking it was worth the money for reability. But my friend who runs this site (non-profit for the moment) want to stay around the $10 mark (he's in college). The funny thing is that most hosts (big, well established...) around $10 seems to be crazy oversellers.

I'd like to have names for some considered rock solid, but not offering crazy much resources host. Like splitting the pair price + diskspace/bandwidth in half, but recieve pair service.

Any suggestions? Hope to not need to look for another host, but just in case these erorrs are permanent-like.

Thanks

What are your needs in space and bandwidth and what's your budget?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Well, most large hosts are large because they can compete in market offerings. Your best bet would be to read about each host you're considering here on WHT, whichever impresses then go with them.

Hi snigel1,

Yes, you can find good providers that dont offer massive packages and have good reputation.

The problem is going to be your budget. $10 is a little low, but, you may be able to pick up a small package for that budget (or at least close to it)

What are you actual space/bandwidth requirements?

The funny thing is that most hosts (big, well established...) around $10 seems to be crazy oversellers.
    Well, the budget hosting providers buy so much advertising (directly or indirectly through their high paying affiliate programs) that sometimes it almost seems like that's the only type of hosting around. Also, for some reason, the $7-$10/month pricing seems to be the unofficial standard of high "value" packages.

I've often wondered why they can afford to be so aggresive in their advertising. For some reason, the hosts not focusing on the budget end of the market, seem to rely more on the (very inexpensive) word of mouth advertising.

Pair isn't as expensive as it once was either. The gap between high end and budget hosting is growing, but the price point of "quality" does seem to be on the move as well. Sometimes I feel like an old fashioned man when I try to judge the market. Maybe it's time to readjust my perspective a bit.

Great observations Dan,

For some reason, the hosts not focusing on the budget end of the market, seem to rely more on the (very inexpensive) word of mouth advertising.
    just another perspective here ....

I think alot of the hosts focussing on the higher grade hosting advertise in other methods other then online directories and such. Alot of alternative advertising channels are actually quite a bit more expensive then advertising in the typical online directories - and it simply is not worth trying to advertise your banner against a company offering 1TB packages (which is what that market segment is shopping for). A well placed ad in a relavent paper or online publication will actually cost significantly more money, but inherently targets a market segment more suited to ones audience (if you are focussed on selling solutions rather the commodity type of hosting)

It looks like I didn't think it through completely. Good points Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by snigel1
    The funny thing is that most hosts (big, well established...) around $10 seems to be crazy oversellers.
    What do you expect from the companies with $10?

It looks like I didn't think it through completely
    Nah - you have always had a good perspective and understanding of the market

- you are just focussed on the typical person doing a google search for "hosting" or "web hosting". That is the largest volume market... I feel that the market is moving towards hosted solutions vs web hosting as a general service... as a rule of thumb, I think you have this bang on - and this is what is driving the market - people looking for service are just looking for the biggest bang for their buck - almost like they are shopping for PC's - eventually they will figure out that services do not work this way, but, in the interim, the amount of net new hosting customers is growing exponentially (which obviously cannot hold out forever) and companies are trying to capture that share of the market (and who can blame them, its a viable business model - not for everyone and not certain what the long term viability is - but, for now, it is certainly viable and profitable).... its all about relative business models and target audiences I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by snigel1
    I'd like to have names for some considered rock solid, but not offering crazy much resources host. Like splitting the pair price + diskspace/bandwidth in half, but recieve pair service.
    Pair has reseller plans, so there must be resellers of pair offering something you are looking for.
    http://pair.com/resellers/

Or, you can buy the reseller account by yourself and split/sell unused portion of the account with/to your firends/family/whoever.