Thread: Hostforweb

Hostforweb

Hi all,

I`ve been searching the forums looking for Hostforweb reviews relating to their VPS packages. They always seem to slip under the radar for some reason.

They certainly offer attractive packages for the cost, and apparantly come fully managed. After searching however, most of the posts seem to be complaints about high server loads, too many VE`s placed on a node etc.

For my requirements the HFW-1 would be perfect, but I would hate find myself placed on an overloaded server, then be told I need to upgrade before even starting!!

Any Hostforweb VPS customers care to share their experiences, especially those on the VPS 1 and VPS2 plans?

Cheers.

What are you going to be using your VSP for? Just remember the Golden Rule for looking for a VPS: If something is too good to be true, it probably is. Providing quality costs money. You get what you pay for despite any advertising claims.

Quote Originally Posted by IllustriousCube
    What are you going to be using your VSP for? Just remember the Golden Rule for looking for a VPS: If something is too good to be true, it probably is. Providing quality costs money. You get what you pay for despite any advertising claims.
    I wish everyone will follow you advice. Especially now that many hosts are overselling there asses off the be competitive.

It was okie before, but recently it seems getting worse with server overload...

I've had a VPS2 for nearly a year now and have been pretty satisfied. Prior to that I used their reseller hosting for 2-3 years.

I did start running into resource issues on the node I was on and they offered to move me to a different one, and haven't really had any issues since. Primarily static sites and a few php/mysql sites, no forums or super heavy use scripts in action.

Support is usually pretty good... can almost always get through on live-chat, sometimes hit and miss but that's probably true of most first level support.

Their managed service aspect has been great... don't recall them ever not do anything I've asked, most of which probably stretched the definition of what is included in "managed."

I think their pricing is fairly comparable... not the cheapest, not the most expensive, and you get a lot. That said, I've only used 3 hosts over the years and until going VPS, have all been reseller hosting or single site. But I've been satisfied enough not to want to risk seeing whether the grass is greener.

I'd also recommend tossing some questions out on the HFW forum. There are private forums for VPS owners, but everyone generally keeps an eye on the open forums as well. It's a fairly quiet forum... not near the post frequency of here obviously, but you'll usually get some answers within a few hours at least.

Sometimes it may take a little extra nudging, but I think you'll find that support is fairly responsive and they want to keep everyone happy and offer the best service they can.
    SEO Focused Web Design - Identity Developments - it's not about websites, it's about your identity.

|| The game has changed..... Internet Marketing 4 Ps 2.0 ||

Question

How did you find HostforWeb's phone support?

My impression is that their chat potential is handicapped by not having enough people to make it work at a reasonable pace. This may be true of other places too.

I think chat's got great potential cause it's got the strength of immediacy like phone, AND the benefits of actual text (for typing paths & commands) that email would have. Hence, it's frustrating when chat winds up being a lot of "sorry for the delay; I'll be right with you" responses.

And if HostforWeb only has Level 1 people on chat, that likely means you're going to wind up creating a ticket for anything complex.

I do agree on their pricing being a competitive medium.

Their site shows a max ram allotment of 12gigs, which I guess is the same as the typical "burst ram" spec? That's much higher than others companies' specs I've seen here. What does the 12gigs spec mean in practical terms?

Wondering if you felt their 256mb guaranteed ram VPS1 account is inadequate to run 20 or so fairly static-page sites? And in any case, did you notice a performance difference in the VPS account, or was it more a question of having more pace?

I've never actually used the phone support. Depending on my needs, I either go through live chat or just submit a ticket. If I think it is going to be a bigger concern, then jumping straight to ticket helps to get it seen by higher level support... I believe anyway.

As for specs and capabilities, I have confess less knowledge in that arena, but I'm sure that some of the local experts here could offer more info.

I went straight to the VPS2 from reseller, but from reading other posts here, have gotten the impression that 256mb is a bare, bare minimum, which may get a little tight with a control panel. But of course everything varies depending on exact setup and sites, so perhaps with just static sites, maybe not as much an issue.

cheers
    SEO Focused Web Design - Identity Developments - it's not about websites, it's about your identity.

When something is too good to be true, it PROBABLY is.

Note the word probably - there ARE exceptions.
    EG :
    - When domains priced under $10 first appeared, it was "too good to be true".
    - When PC prices dropped to be below $1000, it was "too good to be true".
    - When you can actually earn money by posting on the net (Eg. NamePros), it was also regarded a scam.

However, this is not always so.
    Leeware VPSes are a good example - for 15 bucks a month, I've been very statisfied.

Thanks i-dev for your response. Can you possibly elboarate a bit on what were the resource issues you had experienced before you were moved to a different node?

E.g., slowdowns accessing and using WHM?

I didn't actually notice anything in cPanel/WHM initially, and that has always been faster access than when I was on Reseller.

Disk usage (/dev/vzfs) was maxing out at 100% every few days. At that point, cPanel and WHM were getting hard to get into, and at one point, was receiving an actual failed notice. I mainly noticed it though when email starting failing. oomguarpages were moving into the red, although that might have been happening even before these issues.

But since moving to a different node, haven't seen any of those issues. The server was down for a little bit over the weekend, but beyond that it has been without issues.... touch wood!

Just wanted to bump this and see if there are any new opinions of the Hostforweb vps plans. Taken another interest them. Thanks.

Host for Web

To follow up on your question: several months ago I had some slowdowns on my vps with HostforWeb due to one of the other vps accounts on the same box hogging too much bandwidth apparently because of some software that the guy had installed.

I'm not sure how the guaranteed ram/cpu insulate you from things like this. That's something I still don't get.

In my case, I brought this slowdown problem to the attention of Support and after a few repeats, got moved to a different IP. Haven't had any problems since, so fingers crossed, I'd say HostforWeb was responsive and I'd have no reason to leave.

On the subject of support, I'd add that the live chat offered didn't work as well as I'd hoped a number of times early on when I was just setting up the account. The problem was that the support person would obviously be having multiple conversations, hence the response time would get frustratingly slow. Also, it became apparent that the level one staff assigned to chat were not always insightful.

I still think chat, when done right, is a great support tool offering advantages over both phone and email. Unlike phone calls, chat transcripts can be saved for re-reading or future troubleshooting. Email unfortunately sometimes requires multiple passes to clarify a question and answer over a longer period of time, when chat could clear things up about as quickly as each party can type.

Hence, I'm hoping that HostforWeb keeps and improves its chat support option in addition to the support ticket posting which, in my experience with them, has been more reliable than phone or chat.