Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about dryer hoses before I burn my house down...

Are there any dryer experts at WHT?

I was renovating my laundry room today and noticed that my dryer hose is ridiculously loooong. My dryer sits right up against the wall but the hose is over 3 feet long! It is squashed and twisted in all sorts of ways. I feel like whatever needs to be exhausting from my dryer is getting stuck in the squashed together hose.

Does anybody know if I can cut the pipe to only 12 inches long with scissors and then re-attach it? Is that not good to have such a short hose though?

I googled this but am still not sure if I can cut it to only 12 inches? I've never seen a drier with such a short hose... want to get second opinion before I cut it too short.

You should be able to trim it to whatever size you need - I know that is what we did when we moved here to Denver with no problems. Just make sure that the hose is not crimped. If you can, you might even see about blowing (anything) out - sometimes lint can get caught in there.

Most women home-owners prefer a long hose. Be careful with these scissors! Measure twice and cut once. It's best to keep the hose long as in its errrm flaccid state it releases heat and keeps the temperature low by spreading it over a larger aluminum area. If you shorten it, it will be stiff and you won't be able to move your appliance around much, e.g. when trying to reach a fallen sock or piece of lingerie. I would also recommend getting one of these long scrubbers that are meant for cleaning the filter compartment on occasion. It reaches areas your hands cannot.

Hah Acro...

The main thing that is exhausted through the hose is heat, the lint remains in the lint trap in your dryer so nothing should be getting caught.

Is your vent that crappy white vinyl hose? If it is, it is likely a fire hazard. It will not be able to handle the high temperature generated by most modern dryers. Your best bet is the UL-approved accordion or the rigid aluminum hose. Make sure it takes the shortest path possible to the wall vent, and be absolutely certain it does not crimp or crease anywhere along the way.

And make absolutely sure there is no leak in the hose inside the house. That is definitely a health hazard.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Acroplex View Post
    Most women home-owners prefer a long hose. Be careful with these scissors! Measure twice and cut once. It's best to keep the hose long as in its errrm flaccid state it releases heat and keeps the temperature low by spreading it over a larger aluminum area.
    Yah just like with men, erect is better. BTW that post had a sexual connotation
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Are there any dryer experts at WHT?

I was renovating my laundry room today and noticed that my dryer hose is ridiculously loooong. My dryer sits right up against the wall but the hose is over 3 feet long! It is squashed and twisted in all sorts of ways. I feel like whatever needs to be exhausting from my dryer is getting stuck in the squashed together hose.

Does anybody know if I can cut the pipe to only 12 inches long with scissors and then re-attach it? Is that not good to have such a short hose though?

I googled this but am still not sure if I can cut it to only 12 inches? I've never seen a drier with such a short hose... want to get second opinion before I cut it too short.
    As long as it's properly vented [reaches the outside vent], you should be fine.
    Last edited by Justin M; 02-27-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Billy View Post
    Yah just like with men, erect is better. BTW that post had a sexual connotation
    Maybe you just have a dirty mind.

Maybe you just have a dirty mind.
    Or maybe it's your mind telling you, you're lacking some

So I guess when it comes to dryers... size does matter

My dryer's hose is the cheap plastic which looks like it could melt. It's also way too long and all twisted together. I will either chop it in half or I will go to Home Depot and find a better hose tomorrow.

Vito,
    Where would the fumes seep into the hose? You mean if I don't clamp the hose tightly enough to the dryer and wall vent it can seep harmful fumes... I thought the fumes were harmless and just hot air?

Backyard Billy,
    How's it kick'en?

What kind of dryer do you own? I would get on the phone first thing tomorrow morning to the manufacturer's support line and ask specifically what type of hose they require. I remember a few years ago that we bought new washer/dryer and I installed that cheap white hose. When I finally got a qualified appliance guy to come in, he told me to immediately replace it with the aluminum type because the heat generated by the dryer we bought was way too high for the plastic hose.

As well, I recall we all had headaches for several weeks and didn't know why. As it turned out, it was because of the improper hose, and because one of the clamps was a bit loose, exhausting the air into the house. And no, it is not just "hot air" venting into the house.

Get some authoratative advice from the manufacturer, and then do it right, do it once. For the sake of safety and security. Not worth taking any chances when it comes to your family's safety.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Billy View Post
    Or maybe it's your mind telling you, you're lacking some
    My hose fits most appliances. Some cannot take the girth though. I think tools might be needed.

Vito,

Can you cut the aluminum hose with scissors the same way I can the white plastic hose? I want to cut it down to a foot and a half in length as my dryer sits right up against the wall in front of the vent so I need a very short hose.

I just removed my old hose and looked inside... yuck! It is full of a TON of trapped lint and weird looking debris.

Use both hands on the hose, steady with the scissors. You can cut it as desired (although uncut is fine). Just buy a size that fits the distance between your appliance and the supporting wall.

Yes you can cut the aluminum hose. If you use the accordion type that expands in length, it's a bit tricky. Use proper metal cutting shears to make good clean cuts. If you try to use regular household scissors, aside from wrecking the cutting edge of your scissors, you will end up with rough edges on the hose, and will likely end up with a leak. The accordion type has a spiral rod that spirals through the entire length, and you need to make sure you make clean horizontal cuts. The moment you crimp the hose due to improper cutting technique, you end up with a problematic connection.

On the other hand, given you have such a short path from dryer to wall vent, I would suggest you use the solid aluminum vent pipes, and make sure you use a good amount of aluminum duct tape to cover up the seams.

Vito

Great advice Vito

Or better still: LET A MAN DO THE JOB

Photo of hose and pipe cleaner.

My hose fits most appliances. Some cannot take the girth though.
    I have that same problem.

OWM
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

Great advice Vito

Or better still: LET A MAN DO THE JOB

Photo of hose and pipe cleaner.
    I shall get the aluminum hose at Home Depot tomorrow. I really don't need a hose longer than 12 inches though but I shall make sure to also tape up the ends to avoid leaks.

Let a man do the job? Nah, I fix my own toilets, sprinkler system, change my own flat tires, electrical wiring, remodeled my own bathroom (sort of... if tiling and changing sinks/fauctets counts) and everybody at Home Depot knows me on first name basis.

If I didn't look at myself naked every morning I would think I am a man!

I do the same thing and I think you look fine

Also, check the external vent on the outside of your house regularly. If it clogs up with lint, it will block proper air flow. Eventually, you will find that the dryer cuts out halfway through and you don't know why. It is because the blockage in the air flow increases the temp in the vent and eventually the dryer turns off because of the increased temperature.

Frosty, I like your style. Far too few women take the initiative to learn how to deal with problems like this. Kudos to you.

Vito

Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post
    Is your vent that crappy white vinyl hose? If it is, it is likely a fire hazard. It will not be able to handle the high temperature generated by most modern dryers. Your best bet is the UL-approved accordion or the rigid aluminum hose. Make sure it takes the shortest path possible to the wall vent, and be absolutely certain it does not crimp or crease anywhere along the way.

And make absolutely sure there is no leak in the hose inside the house. That is definitely a health hazard.

Vito
    Regarding a leak, I would say it is more of a leak with lets say a gas dryer then an electric.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Regarding a leak, I would say it is more of a leak with lets say a gas dryer then an electric.
    Venting a dryer inside the house could cause mold which is a health hazard. The safety issue could also be that breathing all that lint/dust could cause respiratory problems in a child. The humidity might also contribute to lung problems.

Vito

My hose fits most appliances. Some cannot take the girth though. I think tools might be needed.
    Wrong hole ? You should always check the manual before inserting the hose.

Hey Frosty

We (what am I saying?) I can make the verification for you every morning free of charge. No need to waste your precious time.

The foil kind is also combustible. It's not really aluminum foil, its mylar. And a lint clog in it definitely is flammable. Sheet metal is the best choice.

I'd be more worried if it was a gas dryer because carbon monoxide is deadly.
    Last edited by page-zone; 02-28-2008 at 02:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast