Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did hostgator buy futurehosting?

I tried accessing futurehosting.com because it was recommended. But instead that little gator comes up and is linked to hostgator.

They have probably bought them out.
    Alex Maleki -/- 1.866.596.8401
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.
    http://www.iteraweb.com | 24x7x365 Phone/Chat Support

All the references I see on Google go to futurehosting.biz not futurehosting.com

The former is probably still owned by the original owners.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

No, Host Gator did not buy us. The owner of futurehosting.com has refused to sell the domain to us for several years and we have stuck with .biz.
    http://www.futurehosting.com
    Managed, Unmanaged VPS, Dedicated Servers, CDN
    Available locations: Australia, Amsterdam, Detroit, London, Santa Clara, Miami

Hm!
    Is the link on there an affiliate ad by any chance?

Appears to be. Smart owner of the domain (although I despise squatters myself).

Quote Originally Posted by futurehosting
    No, Host Gator did not buy us. The owner of futurehosting.com has refused to sell the domain to us for several years and we have stuck with .biz.
    At least you've destroyed them on Google
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

If you look closely, the HostGator logo at futurehosting.com is linked to a HostGator affiliate link. Crafty little devils they are!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Man that must be a pain! BTW nice site! reminds me very much of softlayer nice
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

Smart owner of the domain (although I despise squatters myself).
    Well, if there was no "futurehosting" company at the time when he got the domain, I see nothing wrong with him holding the domain.

Well, if there was no "futurehosting" company at the time when he got the domain, I see nothing wrong with him holding the domain.
    Lots of things wrong with it -

futurehosting.biz, you have legal recourse if you are so inclined:

According to the U.S. federal law known as the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, cybersquatting is registering, trafficking in, or using a domain name with bad-faith intent to profit from the goodwill of a trademark belonging to someone else.
    Just make sure you cross your t's and dot your i's. If you get your paperwork in order, you can get that domain name back - especially if they are using your name to derive revenue from an affiliate link from an exactly similar company...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

I'd agree with cartika, however wht is hardly the place to seek any kind of legal advice, if you decide to persue attempting to gain your gtld I'd definitely seek legal counsel.

Lots of things wrong with it -
    Well, again, if the guy simply thought it was a great name back when futurehosting wasn't a trademark/company yet, we (or at least I) can't really think bad of him. There would be no "bad-faith".

But I'm open to heed any counter arguments.

But I'm open to heed any counter arguments.
    LOL - no arguements Dan - we have all learned alot from your insights over the years ...

However, counter perspectives

Well, again, if the guy simply thought it was a great name back when futurehosting wasn't a trademark/company yet, we (or at least I) can't really think bad of him. There would be no "bad-faith".
    It doesnt matter on timeframe - a company can have an established trademark 8 years after a domain was purchased and still be able to get that domain name back. The intent of the legislation is to prevent an organization purchasing domains which can impact a companies identity, then profiting from it through activities which do not represent "goodwill" (ie affiliate ad to a direct competitor or a redirect to a company offering competitive products/services)

for example - you purchase gidgets.com today and 3 years from now someone registers a trademark on selling gidgets, yet you are redirecting searches for gidgets to their direct competitor - this would be considered domain squatting (assuming proof of claim could be verified)

I am obviously no expert, and certainly professional counsel should be sought - i am only speaking to personal experiences - either directly, or indirectly through those experienced by customers ...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

They are pointing to a competitor, they would totally have a legal issue with it,

I dunno, it's just bad business that futurehosting.biz did not secure the .com before branding the inferior .biz. If the .biz owner wants to go after the .com owner, seems the .com owner refuses to sell, then good luck. I don't like your chances. The .biz is at least 3 steps under the .com and you should never brand a .biz without owning the .com.

Seems the .biz was registered after the .com.

FUTUREHOSTING.BIZ - Creation Date: Dec 16 2001
    FUTUREHOSTING.COM - Creation Date: 10-jul-2001

This is another example of bad branding, and mistakes made early on will come around to bite you in the rear end later.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Why would you brand a .biz when you couldn't secure the .com? I don't understand the reasoning there, because the bigger your .biz brand gets, the more brand spillage you lose up to the .com.

Yes, brand does spill upwards, and not always downwards. A perfect example of upwards spillage would be let's say Microsoft branded Microsoft.biz, but did not own Microsoft.com (just an example as this would never happen) - now massive brand/traffic would spill up from the .biz to the .com because .com is King.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

This is another example of bad branding, and mistakes made early on will come around to bite you in the rear end later.
    100% agreed - however, the mistake has happened - no use crying over that now. The .biz domain owner needs to decide on whether to change names or fight for the existing name (only a decision they can make really)

FUTUREHOSTING.BIZ - Creation Date: Dec 16 2001
    FUTUREHOSTING.COM - Creation Date: 10-jul-2001
    Someone please correct me on this or anyone with domain dispute specific experience please pipe in - however, would this only matter if the .com was actually in business under that brand?

isnt the legislation specifically written with the intent of preventing such things?

ie) using a domain name to redirect to competitors or otherwise confuse consumers (ie has hostgator purchased futurehosting) - obviously hostgator has done nothing wrong here, but, I would terminate that affiliate if I was them - though, I do not know if there are any legal requirements/ramifications or not...
    www.cartika.com

Nissan.com is another exmple. Nissan has been trying for many years to get that domain name however they lost in court a few years ago. That was because Nissan Computers is a registered corporation and it’s not in direct competition to the car manufacture.

You can just imagine the brand spillage there.
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.

Nissan.com is another exmple. Nissan has been trying for many years to get that domain name however they lost in court a few years ago. That was because Nissan Computers is a registered corporation and it’s not in direct competition to the car manufacture.
    Exactly !!! and excellent example-

so, what would have happened if nissan.com was owned by Ford and they were directing all traffic to the ford site? or what would have happened if nissan.com was owned by a private party who was getting paid by ford to direct traffic and sales to them and away from nissan?
    www.cartika.com

They would have lost the lawsuit for sure. As I said, the only reason was due to the fact that the company is a registered corporation and is not in direct competition.

I guess it also helps having your last name being Mr. Nissan.
    Last edited by hmalekib; 01-05-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Hmm... I don't know...

let's look at it from futurehosting.com's owner for a moment. Or in fact, from anyone who registers a "good" domain name, not trademarked by anyone. you get it in the hope of starting a business or selling it some someone inetested in developing a site under that domain. (it's a common investment pratice) One, or two, or 10 years later, someone decides to start a company using the domain name you've thought of and paid for all these years.

Now, is it fair to just hand your domain to this company? I doesn't seem that way to me. If things would work that way, one could start a business with the name of a domain that he likes, establish a more of less powerful trademark around it, and "snatch" (maybe a bit too harsh wording) the domain from its current owner, after a couple of months of activity.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Hmm... I don't know...

let's look at it from futurehosting.com's owner for a moment. Or in fact, from anyone who registers a "good" domain name, not trademarked by anyone. you get it in the hope of starting a business or selling it some someone inetested in developing a site under that domain. (it's a common investment pratice) One, or two, or 10 years later, someone decides to start a company using the domain name you've thought of and paid for all these years.

Now, is it fair to just hand your domain to this company? I doesn't seem that way to me. If things would work that way, one could start a business with the name of a domain that he likes, establish a more of less powerful trademark around it, and "snatch" (maybe a bit too harsh wording) the domain from its current owner, after a couple of months of activity.
    I would agree with you had futurehosting.com's owner actually created a business using the domain. An affiliate link to host gator doesn't quite fall into that category in my opinion.

It makes no real difference what he's doing with the domain. The domain could have been empty or just parked. It still doesn't feel right to give it away to a company for free or for a modicum fee, or any fee that doesn't cover the value of the domain. What if the current owner bought futurehosting.com from a previous owner, for $10000? You see my point now?

It still has the same name servers as it has since 2003, so chances are the same owner has had it for nearly 4 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast