Thread: 64 bit RHEL?

64 bit RHEL?

Going to order a new server fairly soon, and I'm facing the tough question if I should go with 64-bit or stay with the "classic" 32 bits. My operating system of choice is Red Hat Enterprise 4.

From the research I've done, RHEL 4 (64 bits) should come with dual libraries that would allow running 32 bit and 64 bit applications under the same 64 bit operating system. Sounds great, and if it comes with an overall performance boost I am all for it.

But I've also heard that that's only the theory - in reality, I could end up banging my head against the screen for uncounted hours because compatibility still isn't as good as it's supposed to be. I don't plan to run Plesk or Cpanel, but I still don't want to get into hot water with other applications I've been using on my current 32-bit server.

All in all it's intimidated me quite a bit, so I'd probably go with 32 bits this time around, just to be on the safe side. Then again, I'm still having an eye on the possible performance boost, so dunno. Does anyone have an idea what's the latest on this? 64 bit already safe for the non-experimental-minded, or bleeding edge and stay away from?

What other apps do you need to run? I've been running RHEL 4 amd64 for a while (but really only using MySQL 5), and have been running FreeBSD 6.1 amd64 on multiple servers running apache, php, and just about everything else. I've not noticed any problems due to it and wouldn't consider it bleeding-edge at all.
    Matt Bloom
    AngryHosting - Load balanced/redundant shared hosting solutions

64-bit procs can run 32-bit apps or distros with no problem.

I've been using AMD-64 for the past year or so and RHEL/CentOS is rock-solid-stable. I have yet to run into anything that didn't run well, and lordee have I kludged some things together. The only thing I've found that *hasn't* run right out of the box was Flash on Firefox... but if this is a server, why are you using a GUI?

The big gain is in the amount of memory that you can have in a server. Other than that ... *programmers* aren't taking advantage of the extra 32 bits in many cases so that they don't have to maintain two different branches of their code.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Somehow I still have painful memories of Redhat 9. Was my very first server back then, for a lot of packages there were no RPMs available and when installing from source I kept getting errors because redhat's libraries weren't where the scripts expected them to be.
    Last edited by writespeak; 01-08-2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Edited by request

Quote Originally Posted by karlkatzke View Post
    64-bit procs can run 32-bit apps or distros with no problem.

I've been using AMD-64 for the past year or so and RHEL/CentOS is rock-solid-stable. I have yet to run into anything that didn't run well, and lordee have I kludged some things together. The only thing I've found that *hasn't* run right out of the box was Flash on Firefox... but if this is a server, why are you using a GUI?

The big gain is in the amount of memory that you can have in a server. Other than that ... *programmers* aren't taking advantage of the extra 32 bits in many cases so that they don't have to maintain two different branches of their code.
    how much of memory is necessary to need the 64bits OS?
    * Visit the WHT Brazil: http://www.webhostingtalk.com.br * - * Follow us: http://twitter.com/WHT_Brasil*