Shared Host, VPN, Dedicated... help!

Wow has this all been an eye opening experience! I'm in the process of looking for somewhere to host our web site (our current host isn't reliable enough).

I keep getting referred to shared sites that offer the moon - but can't deliver reliability, support, or speed (according to reviews on this forum).

We have a vBulletin mysql forum that currently has 20-40 users on-line at a time. Our main web store is soon switching to a Windows based platform (Lagarde Storefront) which will be processing 3000 items with many images (we're in the process of making 360 degree flash movies for each product).

Is going with a shared server the problem here? What would be the advantages of moving to VPN or a dedicated host? I know the cost is more, but if we can get much better reliability and speed it will be worth it.

We're a mom & pop shop, and currently I am the IT guy (but I'm a pastor by day - so I'm no expert). We need to be able to work with people that can manage the server for us.

We also need something that can handle both Server SQL and mysql with php (I've seen a number of windows platforms that can't do that).

Yikes - we're getting into deeper waters ...

Suggestions?

Pete

Well a dedicated platform will surely provide you with more resources to consume. However, 20-40 users really shouldn't matter unless you are just on a over packed server. Have you tried contacting your provider to find out what the problem is?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Yes we have, but the tech support has not been helpful. We constantly get Database errors (can't connect to it) or we get 'web page can't be found'.

We've give them several months to straighten it out, but the response is usually, "When we tried it it worked ok" even though we send them the database error reports. Lame. It's Netfirms we're having trouble with.

Our new web site will be a lot more intensive than the current one we are running - which is why I asked the question about shared vs. vpn vs. dedicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Treefrog2
    Our new web site will be a lot more intensive than the current one we are running - which is why I asked the question about shared vs. vpn vs. dedicated.
    It really comes down to your budget, if you have a good budget then just go with the best (dedicated..).

Quote Originally Posted by Treefrog2
    Yes we have, but the tech support has not been helpful. We constantly get Database errors (can't connect to it) or we get 'web page can't be found'.

We've give them several months to straighten it out, but the response is usually, "When we tried it it worked ok" even though we send them the database error reports. Lame. It's Netfirms we're having trouble with.

Hi Treefrog

I think you mean VPS/VDS (same thing really just said differently) - VPN is networking.

With either a managed VPS or a managed dedicated your costs will increase dramatic over shared hosting - there are many benifits to be had though including more control and resources - plus it is likely support will be more responsive as you are spending more - money makes the world talk.

Just my two cents, hope it helps.

Ian

i'd say go dedicated! it beats any vps or semi dedicated anyday!
    I NEED A GOOD WILDCARD CERT ASAP!!!!!