Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    536

    Rack911 is slow... waste of time

    They'll probably reason to this post cause they don't see to have time to answer support tickets or complete them. I put in a support ticket on the Jan 1st, (there system shows the 2nd but my email confirm is the 1st) fast reply back say sure we can do the installation job. I created a login for them and waited. Later I received an email from my server saying someone logged into my server, went to check and it was rack911. Great, they're going to start work ... NOT! 12hrs later account still logged into my server nothing installed. Finally decided to boot the user off and remove the account I created for the install. I did a few security scans and had my datacenter check a few things to make sure nothing was backdoored on my server...

    anyway, wasted 3 days for there supposely highly recommended service when i could of went else where. i don't like bs companies, if your work load is to much make a note of it. people in the web service business always have excuses for something. I don't know what rack911's excuse will be but frankly I've heard them all from programmers, designers and support people.

    You have time to post on here but don't have time to do my install


    p.s. if anyone can recommend a decent admin service that can do an install within 24hr or less please let me know.
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California USA
    Posts
    13,262
    Do you have a ticket id?
    Steven Ciaburri | Proactive Linux Server Management - Rack911.com
    System Administration Extraordinaire | Follow us on twitter:@Rack911Labs
    Managed Servers (AS62710), Server Management, and Security Auditing.
    www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    8,935
    I've worked with Steven on several different projects and haven't ever had problems receiving a response from him via his ticket system.

    Can't say the same for many other providers though!
    David
    Fused
      0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,163
    Must agree, Steven has just decided to completely start ignoring me lately, and he did know me on a personal basis. Interestingly enough this happened just after I'd paid him for some work he did aswell.

    Steven has lots of skill but unfortunately not in the organisation or interpersonal sense.

    Entirely your choice, but sorry to say it Steven, you have offended me.

    Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,782
    Steven has done a good deal amount of work for us. All the work has been prompt. He's on MSN 24x7 more or less and can easily get hold of him if I need anything done. He did refuse payment from us before on several occasions. He always insists on doing the work first, ensuring client is happy and then receiving payment...

    Great guy and surprised to see people having problems. But with all businesses, you are bound to have some dissatisfied customers..

    If you're on a cPanel server, you may want to give PlatinumServerManagement.com a try as well...
      0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    1,146
    ah.....Platinum Server Management? How about using Touch Support? I have used both companies for monitoring and reboots since I am unable to sit in front of my laptop 24/7. Talk to Dave a touch support they'll help you install what you need and take care of you. Not saying Platinum Server Management isn't bad if you’re running a personal server; however, if you were dissatisfied with Steve you might be dissatisfied with PSM.
    Synersis Media | Boutique Technology Marketing Agency
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by acctman
    They'll probably reason to this post cause they don't see to have time to answer support tickets or complete them. I put in a support ticket on the Jan 1st, (there system shows the 2nd but my email confirm is the 1st) fast reply back say sure we can do the installation job. I created a login for them and waited. Later I received an email from my server saying someone logged into my server, went to check and it was rack911. Great, they're going to start work ... NOT! 12hrs later account still logged into my server nothing installed. Finally decided to boot the user off and remove the account I created for the install. I did a few security scans and had my datacenter check a few things to make sure nothing was backdoored on my server...

    anyway, wasted 3 days for there supposely highly recommended service when i could of went else where. i don't like bs companies, if your work load is to much make a note of it. people in the web service business always have excuses for something. I don't know what rack911's excuse will be but frankly I've heard them all from programmers, designers and support people.

    You have time to post on here but don't have time to do my install


    p.s. if anyone can recommend a decent admin service that can do an install within 24hr or less please let me know.

    always use the search feature when chosing any provider, Steve does really know his stuff but these threads pop up just about every other month.
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California USA
    Posts
    13,262
    acctman, I am still waiting on a ticket id. I want to get to the bottom of who you are.
    Steven Ciaburri | Proactive Linux Server Management - Rack911.com
    System Administration Extraordinaire | Follow us on twitter:@Rack911Labs
    Managed Servers (AS62710), Server Management, and Security Auditing.
    www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by BHNSupport
    ah.....Platinum Server Management? How about using Touch Support? I have used both companies for monitoring and reboots since I am unable to sit in front of my laptop 24/7. Talk to Dave a touch support they'll help you install what you need and take care of you. Not saying Platinum Server Management isn't bad if you’re running a personal server; however, if you were dissatisfied with Steve you might be dissatisfied with PSM.
    I second touchsupport, awesome support and great tech team.
    » VPSFuze.com - Performance should be noticeable - VPS Hosting at its best.
    » HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    224
    Steven at Rack911 has been great for us in the past, with under 2 min response times (and he had the requested work completed in the next hour).
      0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by wickshosting
    Steven at Rack911 has been great for us in the past, with under 2 min response times (and he had the requested work completed in the next hour).
    guess you were lucky. definitely won't recommend them to anyone. even after complaining in the post today, my install still hasn't been attempt or done. oh well, moving on to a better company.
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    224
    If you give Steven your ticket number like he asked, I'm sure he would be able to provide more details on this.
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by wickshosting
    If you give Steven your ticket number like he asked, I'm sure he would be able to provide more details on this.
    I PM'ed steven the ticket # earier today. He replied back with a reason for the delay, I responded minutes later and haven't heard back since. I could understand his reasoning but he never bothered to update my ticket with a reply after I posted asking why they've been on my server for 12hrs without installing the mod i request.

    my biggest gripe with people in the web service business is that they don't take what the do seriously. anyone can start a net company but you can't just leave a customer waiting around a simple reply is all i ask. it happens with designers and programmers a lot they just feel that its okat to blow people off of not contact them. I can understand if business is doing great and the work load is to much but how about creating a work query so people know how many jobs are ahead and an estimated time before their job starts.
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    367
    Ive used rack911 on a few occasions, always does a good job and does it in a timely manner. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,034
    I don't know guys. Everyonce in a while I need a hand with something and he is usually available and gets it done. You are right that these threads keep popping up. I think its that he is in high demand and right after an install request comes along maybe he got me saying HELP THE _______________ is down and I can't fix the %(&@#(%@&n thing so he moves on to the emergency ticket or something I don't know.

    I do know I have always been happy with his work.
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southwest UK
    Posts
    1,159
    I must say, if anyone contacts me on the 1st Jan, they can expect to hear something along the lines of "ooh my poor head, now go away, quietly."
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,967
    Maybe I am lucky, all the jobs he had done for me are excellent and top notched. From upgrading of kernel to clearing of root kits, he did all of them perfectly, with extreme attention to details.
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    1,333
    I've had Steve do work for me and It's been of the highest order without exception
    Graham Craig

    Mobile Mechanic Darwin

    IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT.
      0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    I can recommend Rack911.
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120
      0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    621
    TS are great, but their price reflects it, if you're on a tight budget for management, go with PSM, I use them and I think they're great!
    █ Tech-Hosts
    http://www.tech-hosts.co.uk
    █ European Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In the office
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by acctman
    guess you were lucky. definitely won't recommend them to anyone. even after complaining in the post today, my install still hasn't been attempt or done. oh well, moving on to a better company.
    How could they possibly complete your install/ticket if you have removed the user account? Things do happen, sometimes there are delays.. do you think its nessecary to make a post about this situation? Maybe another chance would change your mind... Good luck!
      0 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    Try Tom at linux-tech.net - that guy is extremely professional and knows what he's doing. Not just a "read a linux book and messed around with servers for a couple of years" either...he truly knows his stuff.

    --Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Under the sea
    Posts
    4,208
    Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    Try Tom at linux-tech.net - that guy is extremely professional and knows what he's doing. Not just a "read a linux book and messed around with servers for a couple of years" either...he truly knows his stuff.

    --Tina

    I agree, he is a good choice
      0 Not allowed!

  24. #24
    had steve do some work for me a couple years back. he was very efficient and helped me out loads.

    went back to hire him again as i felt comfortable with his work. someone was logged into SSH for a long time, but no work was done, and I never heard back from him.

    luckily we weren't charged for nothing being done, so i wasn't upset, but i did find it odd that they took on the job and abandoned it. it was for server hardening, no malicious cleanup, system was virtually new.

    i think he/they do good work, when they do the work. i suppose communication skills could be stronger.
      0 Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chennai , India
    Posts
    4,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Do you have a ticket id?
    This shows the sincierity of the service, i have not use their service but the reply down here to this thread shows.... i hope so the problems may get solved.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •