Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HostGator vs AxisHost

After an extensive search, I got my best choices down to 2 web hosts, Gator and Axis.

HostGator has a lot of more disk space and bandwith available for its price, but they must be overselling of some sort. Axishost I believe it is not and I've heard many good things about, although it has a limited disk space for its price, 9.99$ for 1 GB. Although, yes, thats not all that matters.

The sites I'll be need hosting in will be simple, for now. I'll be doing several.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Grr
    After an extensive search, I got my best choices down to 2 web hosts, Gator and Axis.

HostGator has a lot of more disk space and bandwith available for its price, but they must be overselling of some sort.
    Don't go with someone you are not comfortable with
    $9.99 for 1GB, i doubt you are going to use more than half of it

Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA
    Don't go with someone you are not comfortable with
    Exactly, go with what works for you. If one meets your needs more than another then just go for it, most hosts have a money back guarantee in case you're not impressed!

Be only with those who suit you well.

I agree with "MrRadic". Go with the one that suits you.
    DL Webco
    Low Cost Internet Services
    Reliable Web Hosting & Professional Web Design
    www.dlwebco.com

Yeah, I know, but I was also thinking in uploading my portfolio along with my girlfriend and maybe one of a friend of mine, and my portfolio (design, drawing) is around 400 mb alone. It's a flash animation/site actually. And thus 1GB falls pretty short. But I do not question Tina's service, we exchanged emails a couple of times and I feel like I could get a smooth service. However, HostGator has much more GBs, and who knows, I'll probably make good use of a couple of dozens of it.

Why not using both of them?
    I often combine services form different sources to obtain better overall results.
    And I always use at least two hosts.
    One for mainly production sites, and another for a backup, testing, etc.

But you can use a host with more disk/bandwidth for serving huge file/large quantities,
    and use another for main contents, for example.
    It will allow you to compare these hosts, too.

Axishost I believe it is not
    Not to the same extent anyway. But if you feel more attracted to them, why not contact Tina and see what she has to say about the things that worry/interest you? I infer that you know how to reach her.

You cannot compare the two web hosts because they have no similarities.

If you need more than 50GB+ disk space, then you should go with HostGator. If you only need 1-2gb, then go with AxisHost

Few other things you might want to consider such as HG offers 24x7 phone support and live chat and I do not think AxisHost offers that. It all depends upon your needs.

Decisions, decisions....

Decisions is good one! Choose one that suits yours and they have money back guarantee if you are not satisfy. You can sign up both hosts to testing and ask for money back. Your choice again.

Jen

I signed up with Tina, let's see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Grr
    I signed up with Tina, let's see how it goes.
    Be sure to post a review in a month

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    But you can use a host with more disk/bandwidth for serving huge file/large quantities,
    and use another for main contents, for example.
    It will allow you to compare these hosts, too.
    I would look through the TOS of the company you choose to host the big files on. They often have rules against doing this because it's very obvious that they are overselling and if all their clients do this they will soon run out of space. Also going this route you have 2 points of failure where you would have had one. If the file host goes down then all your files are going to be unavailable and if teh main host goes down, both the files and the site is gonna be unavailable, assuming that no one is directly linking to the files on the file host.

I think you made the right choice choosing Tina as your host, by what I've seen from her posts, she is a very competent individual and knows her stuff!
    The most effective way to host your site

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog
    I would look through the TOS of the company you choose to host the big files on.
    You should always look at the TOS of any host.

They often have rules against doing this because it's very obvious that they are overselling and if all their clients do this they will soon run out of space.
    In fact, obviously most hosts have rules agains many things, because most hosts would soon run out of some resources if abused.
    And some of huge oversellers like servage and DreamHost have nothing against file serving.
    There might be certain tendencies, but better to study case by case.

Now, qualifying other hosts (hostgator?) as an "overseller" (implying it's bad) without rasonable and valid evaluation criteria is a sort of defamation, IMO.

Also going this route you have 2 points of failure where you would have had one. If the file host goes down then all your files are going to be unavailable and if teh main host goes down, both the files and the site is gonna be unavailable, assuming that no one is directly linking to the files on the file host.
    By using free DynDNS, or a service like DnsMadeEasy, you can use one host for a backup of another one, thus increasing the usability of the site.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=574218
    Having two hosts can be very useful in many ways.

I think you made the right choice choosing Tina as your host, by what I've seen from her posts, she is a very competent individual and knows her stuff!
    I agree with this part.
    I also think the person from hostgator is competent and reasonable, though.

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    Now, qualifying other hosts (hostgator?) as an "overseller" (implying it's bad) without rasonable and valid evaluation criteria is a sort of defamation, IMO.
    I didn't mention any names of companies. The way I said it might have implied that I'm saying that Hostgator are oversellers, I didn't mean it in such a way. I meant more, if you choose a host to host large files as they are oversellers who provide you with huge amounts of space that you should read through the TOS very carefully. I didn't mean that HostGator is an overseller as I don't know and don't really care if they are.

I was merely warning against using some hosts for file serving if you aren't completely sure that they don't have an issue with it. I have read through one companies TOS who give high or unlimited disk space...not sure which one. But their TOS said that you can't host large files, use it for back ups, use it to host files that are served on another site and can't host large amounts or large pictures. So basically they're saying that you can host as much stuff as you want but they have to be static web pages with few pictures. Their TOS is so limiting that it would be hard to run any sort of normal web site using their space.

So for the record, I was specifically pointing at hostgator or any other host for that matter!
    The most effective way to host your site

I feel it's too simplistic to think that "hosting large file = oversellers".
    I don't know how you came to this type of thinking, but it's not clear at all what is "large" file for you and why hosting these "large" files must be "ovbiously oversellers".

Also, again, overseller or not, some hosts have rules against file hosting.
    And overseller or not, you should read TOS before buying.

So, your warning is valid for ALL hosts, small and big, regardless of overselling or not.

ya u must use more than one host it helps u in many ways even getting higher google ranks

i have experienced with both host.

during my time with them, both of their servers are quite stable and speed is great.

for hostgator, their support "response" time will be much shorter than axis, BUT i mean only response time, NOT resolve time. It took several times of communication to get things done.

for axis, you got much more personal service, and almost all times, they got it done in one shot. no need to keep replying the tickets. so even sometimes the reponse time is a few hours, i feel confident that once my ticket is read, it'll be resolved.

I know many don't want to speak up on this but I truly think Axis host is best for your bang. They are a stable company that continue to show many positive strengths about their company. These larger companies that are doing the huge promotions on space and bandwidth are trying to pull in too many clients too fast and generally two things happen:

1) Support time decreases as they don't have enough staff to handle the load.
    2) They are over crowding their servers which mean over all performance of your site will suffer.

I like HostGator but feel they are heading down the Site5 route and it can only mean bad service.

Yeah, I tried HostGator yesterday and the same guy answered me at lightning speed. I've sent an email about a hour ago to axis and I got no reply yet.

This is my first time using a web host and Im finding this to be all to new to me. My control panel looks complicated to me and a couple of errors have already happened when I tried to get an email account created. Also, this may sound completely stupid, but I can't seem to find the place to upload my site(s).

The navigation is not obvious and is making me waste time, one of the things I hate most. There should be a more explicit button to upload my site folder into it and there is none.

And Im surprised because Im use to always be able to go around with new softwares and interfaces but I can't really go with this stuff. And I think the CPs across Web Hosts are pretty much the same.

I hope that in the meantime they answer me back.

I wish you the best. Web hosting takes time to understand.

I believe Tina is using Cpanel so you should be able to find some tutorials or answers in their knowledgebase section.

1) to upload files - you would click on the icon labeled "File Manager". From here you can create folders in your "public html" directory and then choose the upload file option.

I would suggest getting an FTP client from Downloads.com. This is by far the easiest way to do it. Then you can set it up like so:

Hostname: will be your domain
    Username: your cpanel username
    Pass: Your cpanel password

HostGator is excellent.. If I needed shared hosting anytime, it's the only place I go to. Don't forget they are providing from ThePlanet. I love them.

Hi Dan

You'll need to upload your site using a FTP client or dreamweaver (which comes with a FTP client) or Frontpage Extensions.

I can't find it in their site, but usually, almost any host does have Flash tutorials with detailed instructions of how to do this
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Their support website is www.technicalsupportnow.com
    No flash tutorials.
    You might want to read what is there.
    I know most users are itching to get started but reading the "manual" isn't a bad idea if you are a total newbie as you have stated.

Axishost uses cPanel with WHM.
    Important to read the first email they send you. I wasn't used to the WHM part.
    After that it things like setting up email accounts is pretty straightforward.
    If you've used other control panels before it is not that much different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast