Hybrid View

What sort of package should I be looking for

Hi all..

I have some questions if I may..

I have been searching around the site and am getting more familiar with 'VPS' etc etc although it would seem the more i learn, the more confused I get..

Can someone give me a rough estimate on this :

If my website was just simply a vbulletin forum to start with, with say 20-30 active members, slowly increasing to about 150 i imagine, what sort of package would do the trick ?? I was thinking of having an intro page which linked to my forum but I think I'll just start with the forum first. I would probably allow but put a limit on avatars, signatures and pictures - i'm guessing this would be an important size issue.

Is a VPS over kill ?? Does it matter that I live in the UK and most reliable hosters seem to reside in the USA?

How can I ensure I buy enough space to succesfully hold my forum in? Is that bandwidth or gb size ???

I know these are completely basic questions but in all honesty i thought I had it all cracked. Now that I have dipped into the VPS world, my head is all pickled again..

Thanks for your time..

v

As a basic question is this a new site or an existing site? IF its a new site I would suggest a simple, good value (not cheapest) shared account with a decent provider and see how it goes. If you get an established provider they should be able to grow with you and will make you life easier. Space/bandwidth can normally be added on as needed so things should be pretty flexible for you overall
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

V,

Not only would a vps be overkill but generally they do not offer the same performance of most shared packages.

150 members is really absolutely nothing: You shouldn't need to concern yourself with watching your growth unless you plan on allowing it (or helping it) expand beyond the ~1000 user mark.

The number of concurrent users is also a very important point. If the site is active enough even at 150 users it could technically bog down a system.

The only real way to tell is to do it!
    Be sure to avoid the VPS.

guys, thanks !

Ok, so i started with a business package with 1and1 hosting and found that their db space allocations were too small. Apparently alot of people said that their 100mb limit was just too small and didn't allow for any decent forum to be hosted - can anyone confirm or refute this ?? Is 100mb too small for anytime of vbulletin forum you think??

Ok, I think i will stay away from VPS by the sounds of things. I'll keep my investigations to a decent-sized shared hosting package..

..and it will be a brand new site.

I had the package with 1and1 for about 4 weeks, hosting the site fine. When I read between the lines abit more and took advice off other community members, i cancelled my account last night. So right now, i have no package, no website and more questions than I can fathom haha !!

ta'

v

This 100mb limit, what exactly does this refer to?
    Are you talking about space or bandwidth?
    If it's bandwidth then for a forum of that size, I cannot see what the problem would be.
    I agree with David to avoid a VPS, since it might give you less performance than a shared account.
    If your site gets really busy with lots of people online at the same time, then you should look into a dedicated server instead, but that's not something you will be needing right now in my opinion.
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in France and Canada
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

tgl_velocity,

I'm not certain which 1and1 package you're referencing.
    Their 'beginner' package has over 5 gigabytes of space:

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/HostingBeginner

Now if the 100mb you're referencing is a limit on database size then that would be a possible concern: Otherwise the package you were on more than likely was sufficient to get you started.

yeah, it wasn't the space, it was the limited they put on datbase sizes.

They offer lots of space for your web pages but next to nothing for actual databases. If my site was just going to be text with loads of text/pictures/pages then I suppose it would be grand, but as it is going to be mainly a forum, with possibly extra scripts running that track online games servers (stat tracking), 100mb would probably be used within weeks.

When i took out the package with them, it was their business package aswell which has even more allocation than your suggestion David.

From my investigations, hoster's seem to favour the space option rather than db space. I can get 200gb of space, but no-one seems' to tell me what db space i get

Am I looking at the wrong things ?? Could the 'space' offered in a package be converted into how much space the database could offer? Are they one and the same or am I to get the 2 allocations seperate ?

v

This 100mb limit, what exactly does this refer to?
    If I'm not wrong, 1and1 have a limit of 100 MB for Mysql space.

to tgl_velocity: Your site should fit fine in almost any shared package, since your site is still small, you can be hosted just fine in a shared host.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Many does not have the database listed because are counted toward your total space. However, at this moment, how much database space do you need?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

ahh.. the $64,000 question my friend

I am guessing the more the merrier.. I would certainly expect to be receiving 'gb' rather than 'mb' when it comes to db sizes.

As I haven't got it up and running yet, i can't give definate sizes but if you imagine a game like SWAT 4 that can track up to 15 different variables from deaths, kills, arrests, shots fired, fav weapon etc etc - i am definately going to be erring' on the caution side when buying a package..

Do you have already a short list of potential hosts?, if not, make one with those who may fit your needs and then research about them here and inther places.
    I suggest to avoid all those super crazy deals where you get 2908329138 GB of Space 2198293832 GB of bandwidth for $5 per month