Network Access only Server

I am wondering how powerful of a computer/server I'm going to need for a project for work.
    The server will only be accessible over the companies LAN, it will most probably need to be running Windows, because that's what the rest of the system runs. Even though I'd rather have it Linux. The server will be running Apache, PHP, and MySQL.
    It will need be accessed by around 100-200 workstations (200 on the far out side max). They don't need to write to the database. Just read. So possibly only 1 to 2 MySQL queries per page. PHP will be of course used to generate the pages.
    So how powerful of a server that's just dedicated to this would be needed?
    I realize this might not be the right forum for this, but the people here are so helpful

Is everything going to be accessed through a web interface? If so, then why does it need to be running Windows? You are already running the remaining components of a standard LAMP server. Unless there are some scripts (e.g., asp) or services (e.g., smb) that are best served by or only available on Windows, a linux server will work just fine.

Everything will just be accessed through web interfaces, but not for development. And also, the company is scared of big bad Linux.
    We don't have to pay for it? Can't be that good/safe/reliable. And so on.

I'd start out with a simple dual-proc capable (but not necessarily supplied with a 2nd CPU to start) and 2GB RAM with a basic RAID 1 disk set. Go for a dual-core Xeon chip. You'd be able to add RAM and CPU later should you need it, but those requirements don't sound as if you would.
    Matt Bloom
    AngryHosting - Load balanced/redundant shared hosting solutions

Quote Originally Posted by marcus1060
    Everything will just be accessed through web interfaces, but not for development. And also, the company is scared of big bad Linux.
    We don't have to pay for it? Can't be that good/safe/reliable. And so on.
    Well, to follow that same logic, Apache, PHP, and MySQL are also free, so are they unreliable as well? (Not really sure how Apache, PHP, or MySQL on Windows compares performance-wise to Linux/UNIX.) Of course, that line of logic would also have manangement send you down the road of IIS + MSSQL...

make sure you have ample enough of RAM, as with Windows they tend to use memory much more for stuff that are not being used. You can start with 2GB RAM mentioned by optikalus then increase as needed.
    - Increase your imagination dramatically but still learning more knowledge.

I think it depends on how MANY TIMES you expect the 200 workstations to access the database and also how big the database is. The be safe, a Dual Xeon setup as mentioned would probably be a good idea, but if it is a simple database and you don't expect many concurrent accesses, you may be able to get away with a more economic machine.
    H4Y Technologies LLC Check out our new website!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VDS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** Email: askus at host4yourself d0t com