Question Should I do Shared, Dedicated, or VPS hosting?

Im lost right now.

Right now, I have my companies' website on a shared hosting plan with Godaddy; Its terrible. I don't have a huge amount of traffic, but I need something that loads the site really fast.

I get less then 10,000 hits a month, and transfer less then 10GB of data a month. So the demand isn't huge at all. I do, however, send a mass email to all of our company's members about 3 or 4 times a month and we have about 4700 members.

My question is this:
    What kind of hosting solution should I use? A Dedicated server, Shared Hosting plan, or a VPS, or other?

You people are the experts, so any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Oops! I ment to post this in the WebHosting Forum... If a mod would move this there, that would be greatly appreciated... sorry!

A VPS should be fine. You definitely don't need a dedicated, A shared host may object to the mass mailing.

Post your location and I'm sure people will recommend some good choices.
    John Strong - SolidHost COO
    http://www.SolidHost.com
    SolidHost offers fully managed Linux and Windows VPS's in the Netherlands , with Plesk, cPanel, Directadmin and Helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidhost-John
    A VPS should be fine. You definitely don't need a dedicated, A shared host may object to the mass mailing.

Post your location and I'm sure people will recommend some good choices.
    I'm in Southern CA. Thanks for the reply.

I think you just need a good shared hosting, the prices are very different, and what you should do is make a script thats sends the emails in groups, like 100 mails a minute or something like that.

I have knownhost vps and everything is great, they have vpses in california as well.

But i would go with the shared hosting unless the price is not a big deal for you.

I would suggest you to go for Dedicated Server considering the emails and the speed factor.But it depends on your budget?

What is your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by varshadembla
    I would suggest you to go for Dedicated Server considering the emails and the speed factor.But it depends on your budget?

What is your budget?
    Upto $75/month... or there abouts..

Can you get a dedicated for that price? Sure. Why would you want to though? This seems quite important for your company. You can either be hosted on a high end VPS or you can buy a cheap dedicated server.

You have to look at reliability, a cheap dedicated can't compete.
    John Strong - SolidHost COO
    http://www.SolidHost.com
    SolidHost offers fully managed Linux and Windows VPS's in the Netherlands , with Plesk, cPanel, Directadmin and Helm.

With $75/month you should be able to get a decent VPS package, with up to 1GB guaranteed RAM.

I use a VPS package from FutureHosting.biz. Their price is reasonable, but most importantly, their 24/7 support is fast and excellent.

http://www.futurehosting.biz/vps.htm

wow 75$ a month ! , then forget what i just said, go with the vps.

In case u ask Im currently with knownhost and loving it.

So it sounds like a VPS Solution would be best for my case. What are some good VPS Providers in the Southwest?

Thanks for all the input! This is really helping.

Most VPS providers are in the midwest, seems like mainly in texas and chicago.

I would recommend getting a VPS that fits your needs. I have serveral VPS hosted at Myriad Network ( myriadnetwork com )Since about November. I've had no downtime since November 2006. They may fit your budget.
    Patrick Buckner
    INSIDER NODE

VPS may be better, but i think a good shared host will work too.

Your not asking/using a lot, just the mass email.
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

OK, so VPS it is. Do you know of a company that will not have a problem with my email requirements?

And another question...

Could I just setup my own email server at the office to just send the emails out? How would I do this so I dont get bloked by providers for a wrong HELO response? A MX record modification? Im really new to the whole email thing. Thanks.

you could do that..

Quote Originally Posted by daniel981
    Could I just setup my own email server at the office to just send the emails out?
    you could do that.. but a lot of places now will only accept mail with reverse DNS so unless you have one registered for the line in your office, they might get blocked. Ask the provider of the VPS to have a reverse DNS setup for your ip and use that to send the mail out. A Meaty enough VPS should have no problem at all since you control the resources.. just to be double sure that you have opt out info in your email and your site, so you cannot be said to be spamming people.
    Managed VPS - JUSTrackz.com

also you may want to check the openspf proyect www.openspf.org if u cant get the reverse dns working. it worked for me when i was using site5 and lots of my emails werent getting to hotmail correctly.