Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE

Hello,
    I get the error Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE about this part of my script;
    PHP Code:
    $sql5="INSERT INTO $login_logs_tbl (user_id, ip, logged_date, logged_timestamp) VALUES("$vuserid[0]", "$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']", $date$timestamp)";
    $result5=mysql_query($sql5); 
    Can you see what's causing the error? I've tried but I can't figure out what...

Best Regards
    Oskar

You're missing the string concatenation character (the period) after the quotes.

So either
    PHP Code:
    VALUES(".$vuserid[0]."'".$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']."''$date''$timestamp')"; 
    or, since you're using double quotes for $sql5, this will work too:
    PHP Code:
    VALUES({$vuserid[0]}, '{$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']}''$date''$timestamp')"; 
    Note that I added single quotes around $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"], $date, and $timestamp. Non-numeric values in SQL queries have to have single quotes.

I think its teh quoting you're useing, I don't do PHP, but this looks off..
    Code:
    $sql5="INSERT INTO $login_logs_tbl (user_id, ip, logged_date, logged_timestamp) VALUES("
    It would see that as one string, then the $vuserid...

Unless thats normal for PHP?

PHP Code:
    $sql5="INSERT INTO $login_logs_tbl (user_id, ip, logged_date, logged_timestamp) VALUES("$vuserid[0]", "$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']", $date$timestamp)"
    for:

PHP Code:
    $sql5"INSERT INTO $login_logs_tbl (user_id, ip, logged_date, logged_timestamp) VALUES ('$vuserid[0]', '$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']', '$date', $timestamp)"
    This should work as expected.

If performance is an issue and the page is heavily loaded and the statement executed often you can decrease a little overhead by doing.

PHP Code:
    $sql5='INSERT INTO '.$login_logs_tbl.' (user_id, ip, logged_date, logged_timestamp) VALUES('.$vuserid[0].', "'.$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'].'", '.$date.', '.$timestamp.');';

Nope, not quite there yet:

PHP Code:
    $sql5 "INSERT INTO `" $login_logs_tbl "` (`user_id`, `ip`, `logged_date`, `logged_timestamp`) VALUES ('" $vuserid[0] . "', '" $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] . "', '" $date "', '" $timestamp '")";
    $result5 = mysql_query($sql5) or die("<b>Error</b>: " . mysql_errno() . " - " . mysql_error()); 
    That's by my coding standards anyway, probably other people who would do it differently.

PHP Code:
    $sql5 "INSERT INTO `" $login_logs_tbl "` (user_id, ip, logged_date, logged_timestamp) VALUES ('" mysql_real_escape_string($vuserid[0]) . "', '" mysql_real_escape_string($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) . "', '" mysql_real_escape_string($date) . "', '" mysql_real_escape_string($timestamp) . "')";
    $result5 mysql_query($sql5) or die("<b>Error</b>: " mysql_errno() . " - " mysql_error()); 
    forgot to mention something on my last post. Since this forum seem to be a fan of mysql_real_escape_string, here it is above.

Escaping is for user input. There's no need to escape REMOTE_ADDR since nothing can be injected in it.

Since this forum is a fan of mysql_real_escape_string, some people are escaping strings that don't require escaping. All for the crowd, right horizon?

Oh, I almost forgot

Dyslexics Have More Fnu

All for the crowd, right horizon?
    Yep, that's why I never use them in the first place.

We can use in this way also

$sql5="INSERT INTO $login_logs_tbl (user_id, ip, logged_date, logged_timestamp) VALUES('". $vuserid[0] ."', '". $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] ."', '". $date ."', '". $timestamp ."')";

Quote Originally Posted by horizon
    PHP Code:
    $sql5 "INSERT INTO `" $login_logs_tbl "` (user_id, ip, logged_date, logged_timestamp) VALUES ('" mysql_real_escape_string($vuserid[0]) . "', '" mysql_real_escape_string($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) . "', '" mysql_real_escape_string($date) . "', '" mysql_real_escape_string($timestamp) . "')";
    $result5 mysql_query($sql5) or die("<b>Error</b>: " mysql_errno() . " - " mysql_error()); 
    forgot to mention something on my last post. Since this forum seem to be a fan of mysql_real_escape_string, here it is above.

I knew I would miss something! You forgot to backtick the fieldnames though:

PHP Code:
    $sql5 "INSERT INTO `" $login_logs_tbl "` (`user_id`, `ip`, `logged_date`, `logged_timestamp`) VALUES ('" mysql_real_escape_string($vuserid[0]) . "', '" mysql_real_escape_string($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) . "', '" mysql_real_escape_string($date) . "', '" mysql_real_escape_string($timestamp) . "')";

You forgot to backtick the fieldnames though
    I didn't forget anything. The reason it wasn't there, is because I never use them and it works on anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by horizon
    I didn't forget anything. The reason it wasn't there, is because I never use them and it works on anyhow.
    You only need to backtick the field names if the field name is also a reserved word or (horrors) has a space in it.

Is it me or is this thread a little long for the original question?

Likely, if you wish to remove empty spaces, you can always remove them with trim.

Is it me or is this thread a little long for the original question?
    Yes, I guess it is.

Yes, removing a space from a column that has a space in its name is...just impressive horizon. Truly amazing.

Dyslexics Have More Fnu

Except trim() wouldn't do anything to help having a space in a column name.

Except trim() wouldn't do anything to help having a space in a column name.
    Indeed. Trim eliminates spaces. It does not add spaces.

Right...so why were you suggesting trim() when it has nothing to do with the problem?

I simply replied to this sentence:

You only need to backtick the field names if the field name is also a reserved word or (horrors) has a space in it.

Hence my question, what does that have to do with trim()?

What does trim() have to do with that? Nothing. Trim will not do anything to fix a column name with a space in it.
    Since this topic seem to lead to critisim, I'd rather not reply any further on this subject.

People criticize your code in hopes that you'll read the PHP manual

Heh, people criticize your code in hopes that you'll read the PHP manual one day
    As far as I'm concerned, I'm already doing so.