* WTF - Nocster CPanel4 Demo?!

What the hell is this? I don't need this with
    my server!

http://sample.hostnoc.net/

Yes.. Your pretty much sums up what I was thinking too...

Umm.. your link is a 403 error...

and hosnoc.net is an almost blank page...

What were you trying to show us?

From hostnoc.net
    Network Operations Center, Inc.
    www.hostnoc.net
    www.hostnoc.com
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Talking

I click it and it comes up just fine. haha.. It's a riot!
    I'm gonna grab a screenshot for future use too!

http://www.nocster.net/virtual.shtml

then click the 'Sample Control Panel' link located right
    under the CPanel description.

http://sample.hostnoc.net/ - try it again.

Come on Nocster, fix your demo link, purty please!

This is bad! I don't understand why Burst/Nocster has so many problems keeping their CPanel demo links working. Will the WHManager demo ever work?

This is a pet peeve of mine. Do not control panel writers realize or care that many of their customers strongly depend on their demos for sales? I'm sure that many of Burst/Nocster's customers work hard to keep all links on their own hosting site working and updated while Burst/Nocster cannot even keep the demo link working.

Nick, the CPanel inventor, stated in another thread here yesterday that CPanel will support FreeBSD by tomorrow, so maybe he's working on CPanel, and this is part of the reason. I still don't understand how that should affect the demo though, so maybe that's not it.

Anyhow, this is the kind of thing that makes me eery of CPanel. I hope they get it back working soon.
    Last edited by chrisb; 06-27-2002 at 04:20 AM.

Carpet Cleaning and Upholstery Care ?

Very funny...
    CAS Networks SL | Businesss Solutions Provider
    -> www.cascompany.com, IT Related B2B since 1997.
    -> Premium Dedicated Servers & Private Reseller Accounts
    -> Web Design, Corporate Image Design, Graphic Design

Maybe you need the right url:

http://sample.hostnoc.net:2082/
    Regards,
    Ben

chrisb, why all you guys bother too much, why not just email @burst.net to fix this thing. !

why this thread is in dedicated forum !. In no way i can link this topic with dedicated discussion. This thread should be in Lounge!

just my $0.02 ...
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com

Originally posted by mahinder
    chrisb, why all you guys bother too much, why not just email @burst.net to fix this thing. !

why this thread is in dedicated forum !. In no way i can link this topic with dedicated discussion. This thread should be in Lounge!

just my $0.02 ...
    I didn't start the thread. I do think it is the wrong forum though, and should be in Control Panel forum, not Lounge. I'm also not a customer of theirs so I didn't think it was my place to contact them. I assumed the customer that started this had already contacted them before posting about it.

Originally posted by ben
    Maybe you need the right url:

http://sample.hostnoc.net:2082/
    The demo link on their main page doesn't work and neither does the one above.

Could it be

Could it be the reason they have problems keeping their demo working is the same reason dozens of software providers have had to disable demos except by special requests and passwords? They have become a target for others to attempt to disable. How many times have you attempted to use a demo based on the id and password given on a site, only to find someone previously changed those. Demos are great, but very time consuming to maintain properly.

Probably better criticism is why parts of Burst.net site have been under construction since the 19th or 20th century......lol....but neither of these is relevant to the quality of their service.

Originally posted by Incognito
    Could it be the reason they have problems keeping their demo working is the same reason dozens of software providers have had to disable demos except by special requests and passwords? They have become a target for others to attempt to disable. How many times have you attempted to use a demo based on the id and password given on a site, only to find someone previously changed those. Demos are great, but very time consuming to maintain properly.
    With all due respect, that's an excuse that I just can't buy. A control panel writer ought to know enough about security to know how to secure a demo. He/she also ought to know how to write the demo so that the login info cannot be changed, directories/files cannot be screwed up, etc. If they don't know how to do this, they need to either learn or pay someone who specializes in security to do it for them. The demo is too important for them not to do this.

Also, they should keep their old demo link working while they work on their new demo, and not replace the old demo until they have fully tested the new demo, and are fairly certain that it is secure.

NOTE: Though the thread starting about CPanel demo, I'm not just talking about one control panel here. I'm giving my opinion in general about demos of ANY control panel.

Re: Come on Nocster, fix your demo link, purty please!

Originally posted by chrisb
    This is bad! I don't understand why Burst/Nocster has so many problems keeping their CPanel demo links working. Will the WHManager demo ever work?

This is a pet peeve of mine. Do not control panel writers realize or care that many of their customers strongly depend on their demos for sales? I'm sure that many of Burst/Nocster's customers work hard to keep all links on their own hosting site working and updated while Burst/Nocster cannot even keep the demo link working.

Nick, the CPanel inventor, stated in another thread here yesterday that CPanel will support FreeBSD by tomorrow, so maybe he's working on CPanel, and this is part of the reason. I still don't understand how that should affect the demo though, so maybe that's not it.

Anyhow, this is the kind of thing that makes me eery of CPanel. I hope they get it back working soon.

.... Yea right, thats a good one, CPanel *working* on FreeBSD. Dont get me wrong, i love CPanel, but on FreeBSD? I did that 2 months ago and barely got my server back alive, i dont think i'll be touching that one for a good long time. Our head admin was soooo peeved when he saw i put a panel on our main server esp when CPanel broke everything :emblaugh: