Email Clients say "Not an IMAP4 Server", can only get mail through webmail?

Alright, so I apparently messed up my email. I downloaded my email folders from my previous host's mail folder through FTP and then uploaded them to my new server's mail folder thinking it'd be an easy transfer. Yeh... didn't work, now I can't get my email through Outlook 2003 or ThunderBird. Any ideas on how to reset my mail server? I don't know if it's just the mail folder that's messed up or what.

Btw, you cannot simply transfer the mail folder in this way. You need to do a direct control panel transfer as it will pull and restore on the new server.

Anyway, is there any specific full error message?
    tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

"mail.mifbody.com is not an IMAP4 server." is the error. Says that for ThunderBird, in Outlook I believe it says something to the effect of not being able to grab the folders. Works fine through Horde's webmail, though.

Is it a cpanel server?
    Is the server using mbox format or maildir format?

If its a cpanel server ,
    Can you run the following command and paste the output here

ls /home/usrname/mail

ps ax | grep pop
    Reverse engineering Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by cybersavvy
    If its a cpanel server ,
    Can you run the following command and paste the output here

ls /home/usrname/mail
    You might want to mention that in the above "usrname" should actually be replaced by the actual cPanel user name

I typed in usrname and as I was typing the "e" it hit me, "Yeah, that's my username" haha.

6567 ? S 0:01 cppop - accepting on port 110
    16726 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep pop

Since you appear to be running cppop, I believe your cPanel server is still in mbox format. I believe IMAP support was provided with the mbox format but it was limited but is better under the maildir format. Your old host/server might have had maildir format set up and the new one still use mbox format. You should be able to convert from one format to the other or, if you are on a dedicated server/VPS, switch the server over to using maildir format. If you don't have access, you might have to speak to your customer support

Not to state the glaringly obvious - you *are* using port 143, right? 110 is POP3, not IMAP.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Yup, trying to connect on 143. It says that it's connected, then after awhile it times out and says that it's not an IMAP4 server.

I also tried the obvious, since it says it's accepting on the POP3 port, I tried getting mail through pop3 account, and that didn't work either. "Mail server mail.mifbody.com responded: " with nothing after it.

I tried to telnet to ports 143 and 110 to see if it provided any insight, but neither's running at the moment; both SMTP servers are, though.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS