eNom - why did they deleted my domain's DNS?

Hello all,
    As I write this my website's been down for the past 48 hours, and things will probably take at least another 2 days to be working again.

Let me explain. Firstly, I don't know too much about domains or DNS, so if something's inaccurate or if I've handled something incorrectly, please let me know. I'm confused and just want my site back up and running!

I recently moved hosts due to the announced closure of Elixant's services. Anywhoo, to complete this move I asked Elixant (who were the registrar of my domain, via eNom, I believe) to change the DNS of my domain (tauonline.org) to my new host's DNS. They attemped this, however after a little while it became apparent (by the lack of access to my website!) that instead of the DNS being changed, they were left blank.

My host told me that this was an issue with eNom (elixant.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=4182&view=findpost&p=24178) - for some reason they'd stopped accepting changes to the domain's DNS, and so instead of simply rejecting the DNS change, they deleted the DNS records?

I'm now moving the domain to GoDaddy.com (I'm on "Pending Current Registrar Approval", only two days until the transfer is complete...! Lol!) where I can then change the DNS and get my site back up and running.

This whole experience has been a real pain though, why would eNom have blocked such DNS changes and is there a way to directly complain to eNom (or someone else?) I've had to pay money to GoDaddy.com for the transfer (which is fair enough, the domain will be extended then), and I've lost money on Google Ads (granted not too much) due to this issue, hence I'd like to be able to complain about this to eNom.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on, if anyone knows why this may have happened, or can suggest what I can do to complain to somebody who would take action, please reply.
    Thanks,
    Tristan Perry

tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

Okay thanks :-)

I've heard only good things about GoDaddy? I have one domain with them and it's okay so far, plus their support is quick.

Anywhoo, thanks for the input. I'll be sure to contact eNom about this.
    Cheers!

same trouble happening to my domain now.

1.tried to modify dns setting to a new one from old an setting
    2.cp shows error message , it cannot update dns setting
    3.domain's dns setting went blank
    4.unable to set it back to old setting.
    5.still remains blank since 30th Dec = unable to access to the domain.
    6.submitted urgeng help request at support center on "30th Dec".
    7.so far no reply yet and inaccessilbe to the domain
    8.waiting paitiently for enom reply to my ticket at the support center

the case is this one

Domain ID76937144-LROR
    Domain Name:OOSUGI.ORG
    Created On:06-Sep-2001 01:26:56 UTC
    Last Updated On:30-Dec-2006 18:32:10 UTC <-------this is when I updated dns
    Expiration Date:06-Sep-2008 01:26:56 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:eNom, Inc. (R39-LROR)
    Status:INACTIVE <------------------------------------------somehow status turned to inactive
    Status:TRANSFER PROHIBITED <-----------tried to unlock but failed

current dns setting is blank as below

Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:

I put one question on the other thread here asking what is the average wating time now, then told 7 days .

think this is no good. enom should respond at least within 24 -- 48 hours timefor any support request . looks like their current support work is far below usual business standard.

What is the quickest way to get them work on this kind of urgent trouble?
    emailing them works no good I think , already submitted suppor ticket at
    their support center and i donot make mutiple ticket, just updating the same ticket.

Ah sorry to hear that, it really sucks!

I've heard the same thing happening to a friend of mine, it's a shame that eNom are like this.

Same thing also happened to me a few years ago, I emailed, left phone message after message, nothing, site was down for over a week.
    Had to file a complaint with icann, funny the next day they called me and fixed it.
    Why they would kill off your record is something they should have to answer !

I like Goddady and namecheap because their changes happen almost instantly.
    Just changed 2 of my names with NC this morning and its in the final stage awaiting transfer. First time doing it with NC, with GD I have never had a site go down during the change.
    Hum why did I try NC for 2 live sites ?

I hope your site gets back up soon, I need my 3 word story fix

I had an abuse complaint against one of my domains and eNom suspended my domain without any notice, had to go back and forth with them for 7 days before I got it restored.

They did the exact same thing, put the domain on registrar lock status and disabled DNS shutting the domain and website down and making it impossible to transfer elsewhere. It wasn't until I spoke with their "legal" team through email and stated I would take full responsibility for it that they unlocked it and restored DNS.

The ad revenue and traffic I lost over that period for their actions has soured me a lot on their service, but unfortnately I don't think highly of GoDaddy either with how they treat their customers either.

Wow that's awful treatment too. Luckily it seems I will be able to move away from eNom, although the DNS being deleted is a huge pain...

Hopefully eNom will listen if enough of us complain about them here

I transfered my names today to namescheap, started it about 11am est.
    It's already done
    I am in shock

Tristan, I looked up your domain name's WHOIS and indeed I saw no DNS records.
    Unfortunately you inadvertently made it "worse" by transferring your domain name
    to another registrar.

Many if not all registrars disable DNS changes during this process to prevent any
    potential DNS problems. You'll have to either cancel the process immediately or do
    complete it ASAP so you can add them once more.

Why the nameservers were deleted is anyone's guess. Only Enom can say.

Hey Dave,
    I was informed that it'd take a while to sort this out and instead it may even be quicker to move to another registrar.

I realise the DNS changes are disabled until this is over, which I realise is a pain, although I never like the idea of battling with bigger companies.

I've e-mailed them... twice, although they haven't replied. We'll see if they do, or whether they simply ignore it.

I'm transferring to GoDaddy and currently the status is "Pending Current Registrar Approval" - hopefully it'll move off of this stage soon enough..
    Tristan

Quote Originally Posted by tristanperry
    Hey Dave,
    I was informed that it'd take a while to sort this out and instead it may even be quicker to move to another registrar.
    Tristan,
    Who told you that information ? Did someone with enom tell you ?

A reseller of eNom I believe.
    Tristan

I see, so it is not a direct information from enom, then.

one strange thing is that just a second ago I modified other org domain I have for testing sake, 100man.org .

Here I have no trouble to update dns setting .

Domain Name:100MAN.ORG
    Created On:02-Jan-2007 12:26:56 UTC
    Last Updated On:04-Jan-2007 13:19:48 UTC <---------------this is done by me
    Expiration Date:02-Jan-2008 12:26:56 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:eNom, Inc. (R39-LROR)

modified the dns setting from original

Name ServerNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name ServerNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name ServerNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name ServerNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name ServerNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM

to

Name Server:NS1.EV1SERVERS.NET
    Name Server:NS2.EV1SERVERS.NET

and suceeded.

however for other org domain, which is just transferred into enom on 28th Dec.
    I cannot update dns setting .

So it looks like the connection between org registry and enom is ok .

Quote Originally Posted by tanfwc
    Well, surprisingly, with godaddy, there are as many good reviews as there are bad ones. So its really a 50-50 chance of success as it seems.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Tristan this just blows, there is no reason or excuse for any of this.

Dave, I read your blog last night, very nice info

I see, so it is not a direct information from enom, then.

one strange thing is that just a second ago I modified other org domain I have for testing sake, 100man.org .

Here I have no trouble to update dns setting .
    Ah right. Nah, although the reseller has used them a lot before.

Hmm that's odd, congrats I guess, though! eNom still haven't replied to either of my e-mails, or the support ticket taken out about this

Well, surprisingly, with godaddy, there are as many good reviews as there are bad ones. So its really a 50-50 chance of success as it seems.
    Ah well, hopefully mine will be a good experience

Tristan this just blows, there is no reason or excuse for any of this.
    Thanks I'm only hoping the transfer doesn't end up taking the 5-7 business days quoted, I think I'd cry if that happened Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by tristanperry
    Hmm that's odd, congrats I guess, though! eNom still haven't replied to either of my e-mails, or the support ticket taken out about this
    I still have problem with oosugi.org of which I have submitted help request on 30th Dec and no reply yet as of today.

dns remains blank , unable to update.

I also faxed the copy of my ticket to them yesterday hoping it may catch their attention.

Yeah, it's great fun isn't it ... That's why I'm trying to move domain name registrars and changing the DNS then, I think that'll be quicker than waiting for eNom's support.

Oh great, it seems this has harmed the site's google ranking - my site used to be top when searching for "Tau" (the key keyword of the site), however now it seems I'm nowhere to be seen? That really sucks... I know this is sort of off topic, although will it be easy to re-gain my site's Google status? (I liked being top of Google for a word that is a letter of the Greek alphabet, it taken ages to get to that stage..)

Okay the domain is finally back-up after 6 days of downtime, which has (obviously) harmed site traffic, revenue and Google ranking.

eNom haven't replied to the support ticket, or either of my two e-mails. I definitely don't recommend eNom... ever.

it seems EPP related matter, not sure why it started to happen recently to domains that stores their whois data on the registry side such as org/info/biz etc..
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi