The Planet vs. Softlayer

I currently have a Server at The Planet and am wondering if I should use my imminent upgrade to move to Softlayer. From what I've gathered in the forums, the advantages of Softlayer are (in no particular order):

cheaper
    better service
    unlimited private bandwidth
    paypal

(Needless to say that's a subjective selection. ) On the downside, I've heard that Softlayer had some recent problems with mitigating DoS attacks, and that their nameservers may be less reliable. Anything else I missed, or even any The Planet features I *will* miss when changing the sides? Thanks!

that their nameservers may be less reliable.
    If you've got your own server there is no NEED to use outside nameservers, especially if you have a control panel like plesk or cpanel or something else there. It's already setup for you, a no brainer.

Price wise, you're going to find a better deal over at SoftLayer
    Service wise, you're going to get a better deal over at SoftLayer. From offsite storage to complete ip and server management inside of their client area to any number of things, SoftLayer has what I'd consider to be the best server / service management portal out there.
    Support wise, you're going to find (in my experience) a better setup @ SoftLayer.
    Every time I contact TP, I get the same ridiculously stupid response from them:
    Your firewall is causing problems on this server
    When I know full well that it's NOT the firewall causing the problem. No matter WHAT server it is, or WHAT the ticket is for, it's always the same initial response.
    Network wise, they're about the same. Both are peered with some pretty decent providers, and both handle downtimes reasonably well.

In the end, you're better off going with the staff @ SL. Their service is great .
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

They're both great services in my opinion, I would not say that moving between them would be a upgrade nor downgrade. Personally ThePlanet has that slight edge for me with their established history and network.

My advice would be, if you are recieving a good service - do not change.

The Planet has a better network.
    SoftLayer wins everything else.

Depending on how much cheaper it is, and how much you will use the private network, I would say if its not broke dont fix it.

Obviously if these features are a large plus i would say go for it

....I think thats called sitting on the fence....
    Centation Web Services
    Bristol based web design
    Offering website design, SEO, website hosting, website development and domain registration.

Having a good service is a good reason not to change a hosting company.

Well, my history with The Planet is a bit spotty. Nothing than delighted at first (that was in 2003). Later they dropped the ball on a couple of things (like putting the wrong type of RAM in my server, which REALLY shouldn't happen), but they made up for it on other occasions, so it was still fine. Lately it's been adding up though - last summer they reclaimed a NAS drive that was still in use, and while with a bit of good will that can be credited to a misunderstanding, the fact that it took them over a week (!) to get me hooked up with a backup drive again kinda broke my heart. So I swore that next time I'm upgrading to a new server, I'd take a deep look at the competition, which is now.

Kakashi, could you elaborate on the network quality? How would I notice? Speed? Bumpiness? (Btw. my current server is with Server Matrix, not sure if that's even the same network quality as Total Control.)

linux-tech, I don't use a control panel. Doesn't mean I couldn't set up nameservers myself (I suppose), but of course sparing the work is always preferrable.

Well you've been there some years now, it of course can be spotty in a few places, just like my face.

I'm still good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakashi
    The Planet has a better network.
    SoftLayer wins everything else.
    By what metric? In terms of performance, SoftLayer has Internap's Flow Control Platform in use [in addition to Internap transit], whereas I do not believe ThePlanet is doing any route optimization at the moment.

In terms of capacity, ThePlanet is obviously substantially larger [especially if you include EV1], but SoftLayer has increased capacity tremendously with their new ten-gigabit link to NTT [Verio] - and they are planning to upgrade their other links [notably GBLX] to ten-gigabit soon.

If you were talking about uptime, then they've both had their share of outages, but at the same time I'd say as of late they both have been reliable providers.

I had a server with softlayer for a few months i had no issues what so ever. Only problem is when your company expands they dont offer colocation services :-/ so you will either be stuck with dedicated servers your whole life or you will end up moving back over to the planet or another datacenter.

Only problem is when your company expands they dont offer colocation services :-/
    Yet
    Who knows what their company will be like in a year, a month, or the like. Your company won't expand quicker than SL will I'm sure of that.
    At the moment, it's not really feasible for them to offer colo
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    Well you've been there some years now, it of course can be spotty in a few places, just like my face.

I'm still good looking.
    Since I can't resist a philosophical discussion...

In historical science there's something called "unus testis" theory. It basically says that even a single occurrence of something can allow a great deal of conclusions on the environment it appeared in. E.g. if you dig up a 2,000 year-old Roman kitchen just to find a 2,000 year old microwave oven in it, you won't be able to state that THE ROMANS (let alone all of them) had microwave ovens. But even with just a single artefact you will still be able to say a lot about the Roman culture in general.

Just the same, with a relatively small sample of problems that ocurred at a particular company, you may not be in a position to state that the problems occur frequently (let alone permanently), but by looking at the TYPE of problems you have found you may still be able to say a lot about the company in general.

SoftLayer not only has great service but has superb support! I think you will be much happier with SL.

SoftLayer hands down.
    I've been with them for more than a few months and I'm loving every second of it.

thePlanet has a history sure but not a glorified one.. Besides most all the decent folks left to form softlayer which should speak volumes..

Save yourself the heartbreak and go with softlayer.

I have been a SoftLayer customer for about 4 months now, and am VERY pleased. Was formerly at DedicatedNow, which was disastrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon|Rich
    thePlanet has a history sure but not a glorified one.. Besides most all the decent folks left to form softlayer which should speak volumes..

Save yourself the heartbreak and go with softlayer.
    I can't remember the specifics, but when softlayer was first formed I remember reading a post here: didn't a number of the people who left the planet to form softlayer come from another datacenter before the planet? Which one was that?

i believe it was 7 or 9 former management members, including many prominent ones formed together after leaving the planet, thye just had a different idea of how to create a modern service for customers
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

I'm evaluating ThePlanet as well. Softlayer doesn't look like they have the professional management services that ThePlanet offers with their Total Control service. Anyone know if they offer something similar with their plans, or what features makes SL worth it?

Thanks,

Gabe

I would consider theplanet management myself, I would say go with a third party service. Softlayer does offer $3 per ticket management which may suit you.