hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Computers and Peripherals : How to block computer from accessing network completely...
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

How to block computer from accessing network completely...

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Computers and Peripherals Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 01:41 AM
Web Hosting Master

How to block computer from accessing network completely...

Here's the issue - one of my roommates's girlfriend is leeching our internet daily. She has her own place but doesn't pay for cable/internet there because she gets it for free here. The router is a Linksys WGT624 v3 router. I've asked repeatedly for him to not allow this, but it continues, and I'm at my wit's end. My first thought was to disable the DHCP server and enable static IPs, but the roommate knows enough that he would probably be able to get around that. Looking at the administration area, I was able to restrict the WIRELESS access to specified MAC addresses, but she usually plugs in. Router can be changed or upgraded to accommodate me and my plans for it - but I need a resolution soon (today/tomorrow)

I basically need to know how to configure this router to either A)allow only specified wired mac addresses or B)disable network connectivity for a certain mac address OR I need to know of a router that can handle my requests..

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Sorry to not jump on your side immediately but what is wrong with your roomates gf jumping on the web. It honestly sounds like you have bigger issues with her and or him than the network usage.

[theBleeber@wht01] ~ $ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory

Old 01-03-2007, 02:52 AM
Web Hosting Master

Yes I do - Issues that in no way relate to the current problem at hand. Because it is a dually signed lease, I cannot kick him out, and nor can I leave the house. Therefore, she will be paying for her share of the bills or she will stop using them. She is not a casual visitor. She is here..every night...every day..taking showers, using my washer and dryer, and so forth. She has the apartment because her parents are paying for it.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with me, I need help with this. I have offered her plenty of chances to make agreements on utility usage and she has declined all. It is time to take action here.

If you don't want to help, that is fine. No further comments are necessary.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2007, 07:55 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnband
Yes I do - Issues that in no way relate to the current problem at hand. Because it is a dually signed lease, I cannot kick him out, and nor can I leave the house. Therefore, she will be paying for her share of the bills or she will stop using them. She is not a casual visitor. She is here..every night...every day..taking showers, using my washer and dryer, and so forth. She has the apartment because her parents are paying for it.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with me, I need help with this. I have offered her plenty of chances to make agreements on utility usage and she has declined all. It is time to take action here.

If you don't want to help, that is fine. No further comments are necessary.
sounds like your just right. i wouldnt like that if someone done that to me

Old 01-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Community Leader

Linksys WGT624 v3?
That model number appears to be Netgear, not Linksys..

Old 01-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Web Hosting Master

I'm an idiot (I've been so tired lately). It is a netgear. My old Linksys died on me a couple of weeks ago and I had had it forever, so I guess I'm still referring to it. It is a Netgear router, but like I said - if it can't perform the required functions, I will spend money to get one that can.
Kevin

Old 01-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Managed Hosting Expert

Tried adding a route to the route table to null route the connection?

i.e.

192.168.0.5 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.254

That would simply bounce all traffic from 192.168.0.5 back to the gateway of 192.168.0.254 on your network (which doesn't exist - if it does you'd need to use a different IP for the gateway).

I can't see you being able to ban MAC addresses on a Netgear home router unfortunately ...

Dan

█ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Old 01-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Web Hosting Master

I actually did think about that, but then didn't because the IPs are dynamic. Therefore, all it would require is a simple /renew and she'd be back on. Static IPs are out of the question because it's easy to get around....This is so frustrating. I just wish I didn't have to do this..

Old 01-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I dont see a way of doing this unless she has her own laptop or something she brings round.

If she does, then its simple. In you LAN settings on your NETGEAR admin panel, change the IP range your DHCP can distribute to ***.***.*.2 - ***.***.*.4 (if you have 2 computers) then when she connects her's up an ip wont be given unless the lease has expired on one of your machines.

Not sure if that will work, but thats the only way i know of.
Woody

Old 01-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Web Hosting Master

GENIUS! (Yes, she does bring her laptop..usually plugs in but sometime uses wireless..I've got the wireless blocked but not the wired)

I'll set reserved IPs for the 4 computers of the actual housemates..then I'll set the DHCP server to only give out those specific 4 IPs...so when she tries to connect, it will just sit in limbo forever...
I think that should do it.
Kevin

Old 01-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Disabled

under specify mac addresses option u have in the CP
check for something called like: General rule

choose ALLOW THESE ((or similar to this))
and only enter the mac addresses for the machines u wanna ALLOW

so by default all other different mac addresse will not be allowed to even connect to the network

Old 01-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Web Hosting Master

I looked for something like that, but my router does not have that setting. What L-A-N suggested is going to work beautifully.
Kevin

Old 01-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Web Hosting Master Disaster

Another solution would be to have your room mate pay for his guest.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Managed Hosting Expert

Personally I'd add a reservation for the laptops MAC address and null route as I suggested above, else you will end up with constant broadcast traffic from the laptop as it looks for an IP. In actual fact a reservation will probably not be required since a Windows box will always request the previous address when renewing a lease.

Could just be me but unnecessary broadcast traffic is my pet hate and I do everything to get rid of it.

But in all honesty, playing clever games with a router isn't going to solve your problem. You need to stand up to it.

█ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Old 01-04-2007, 05:08 AM
Web Hosting Master

Well, it was stood up to tonight. He resorted to violence. I have a fractured wrist and he has a broken nose.....

I just told him that if she's going to act like she lives here, she needs to help out - just a teency weency bit......He threw a punch..didn't connect..I threw a punch..twice...it hurt, but it got the point across...
I despise violence (but having boxing experience doesn't hurt)..UGH..so essentially nothing was accomplished tonight but having doctors bills...

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web & PHP Conference 2013 Web Hosting Events 2013-09-17 14:48:22
Network Solutions Customers Face Access Issues Following DDoS Attacks Web Hosting News 2013-07-24 15:28:25
Liquid Web Updates Block Storage, Adding Scale, Cross Mounting Web Hosting News 2012-12-14 16:17:44
Web Host Rackspace Introduces Cloud Network Isolation Technology Web Hosting News 2012-10-30 11:35:37
Microsoft Reaches Settlement with Nitol Botnet Host 3322.org Web Hosting News 2012-10-05 13:13:16