Question Need help to select CPU

I want to buy new machine and thinking about Xeon 3060, But I got suggestion from SL sales to go with Dempsey instead, Dempsey costs +$20/month but I'm not sure if Demsey is faster. I think it isn't because it's older CPU with slower FSB.
    They currently have 1GB RAM free upgrade (normally it costs $25/month) on Dempsey machine and I want to get it with 2GB of RAM, so if I'll get dempsey I'll pay only +$5/month if I compare it with 3060 with 2 GB of RAM.
    They said that they can upgrade Dempsey machine to Woodcrest or 2 x Dempsey later if I'll need that.
    The machine will run Apache + PHP + MYSQL on 4 x 10k SCSI RAID10 and will be used for our sites only, about 40.000 uniques/day.

Please advice, is it better to get Xeon 3060 or go with Dempsey ?

That must be one hell of a site, cause 40k uniques on a regular/simple site usually translates to about 160k-200k pagehits...something that a 2.4Ghz P4 should easily be able to do.

Anyway, ontopic: As far as I know the Woodcrest is a lot faster than Dempsey. So it would depend on price and extra's (ram, hdd's and so on)

We do also online stats written in PHP for our needs, and this makes about 350.000 inserts to our DB every day and causes more CPU usage, we clear tables at midnight and make summary but at the night is our CPU usage on about 75 - 85% , it's dual xeon 2.8Ghz from TP, two sites are visited with lot of bots so there are about 500.000 pagehits/day. During the day .e.g. at 2:00PM the CPU usage is on about 25 - 30 %

The 3060 is better than the Dempsey - by a good margin - but the Dempsey servers from SoftLayer can be upgraded all he way to dual Clovertown (8 cores total) and 16GB of memory. So if you need an upgradeable server, they're brilliant.

The XEON 3060 is the same as Core 2 Duo e6600, still faster than Dempsy but your price should be allot lower than any old Dempsy still laying around.