* Godaddy's free hosting policy!

You know, I was in here about 18 months ago worried that I was running out of hosting space for my videos. I then read a post that Godaddy had since offered free banner-supported hosting where I may be able to simply point to my videos files on their servers. Great...except someone jumped in and claimed they just got off the phone with Godaddy and video wasn't allowed.

This morning, Godaddy phones me and asks if I want to consolidate my renewals. When he asks if there are any questions about Godaddy, I asked him about the free hosting and if videos were still not allowed. He then informs me that video...literally any file...IS allowed. After all, this is now my space and I can do anything I wish with it. I again ask him...and he reconfirms...any file. He then offers to double check for me and I say yes...please do. He comes back on the line a minute later re-confirming his statement...any file is fine...used any way I wish...either a whole site on their servers or just storage or pointing to.

It now makes sense. Someone here...a popular member perhaps....misled us all pretending to phone them and report phoney information in the hopes of selling more hosting? Makes sense to me...which is why I cannot ever trust posts on this site again....and I don't recommend you do either.

Always call about your hosting questions in person and do not trust bulletin board site info when it comes to hosting. Lots of people are here to selling hosting...doh!

Actually, I've always liked this site...It's just that I was misled with an agenda.

Oh.. Thats not too good to hear i guess.. I might try out GoDaddys free plan ey!

I know this is a bit off topic but are you using Macs for your video editing?

The fact that he offered to double check should tell you that he was not 100% sure, so who is to say that either a) the person who told you phoned and got told by someone else who gave them false information or b) the policy had changed in the last 18 months?

Your post just doesnt make much sense, you are posting here telling us not to trust any posts here, so what confidence does that give in what you are saying? You seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill here and not seeing that it could have just been a genuine mistake, not everything is a conspiracy.

Thrive - I built my own video editing box...it's not a Mac
    Wullie- Exactly my point...Don't trust my post...Call instead.
    With more success comes more expense!

When they suspend you for using to much bandwidth, please let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by Festus2005
    When they suspend you for using to much bandwidth, please let us know!
    lol..for sure Nothing's free

Just remember to keep frequent backups.
    Afterall you tend to get exactly what you've paid for.

In this case: Nothing.

I'll let you know what happens with some unimportant 15mb wmvs that are rarely viewed. Plenty of BW...but once again...don't believe my posts! Call for yourself.

Punks!
    Bwaha ha ha ha ha ha!
    I should have known better...and now I do

I wonder how long they'd keep up a free video that got Dugg.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

that got dugg?

Quote Originally Posted by zoobie
    that got dugg?

the all new 'everyone is a fanboi' digg.com. It is the newer/cleaner fark.com

oic...thx
    scarey stuff

I don't post my vids on those free sites anymore...too much compression
    what is nice, though, is they make my site(s) video look great
    but i think my vx1000 is overkill for the internet

[QUOTE=zoobie]

This website forum is one of the best boards I have seen on the net by far. Everywhere however you have the bad guys and the good guys.
    May be you are right, someone a year ago or more said that godaddy does not allow video hosting, may be this is what that person was told by godaddy when he/she called and wanted to alert us (so basically that person could have been misinformed) and may be just wanted to pitch his/her service.
    What you should have done since you had an account with GoDaddy, was to clarify it with them since it could have impacted you.... (you could have done it by email so that you had it in a written format) remember GoDaddy is a big company with too many sales reps (you would have to agree they are not the top qualified either as other premium companies) so some can make up rules as they go, all they cared about was getting you off the phone and make a buck or two.

I am not defending WHT, but I am seeing both side of the spectrum

What is the BW and storage you have with them for free.... Just curuios as I never knew they offered free hosting. (I am not trying to sell you my service )
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

We would be very interested in your experiences. Maybe you can come back in a few months time to share with us?

You know, I was in here about 18 months ago worried that I was running out of hosting space for my videos. I then read a post that Godaddy had since offered free banner-supported hosting where I may be able to simply point to my videos files on their servers. Great...except someone jumped in and claimed they just got off the phone with Godaddy and video wasn't allowed.

This morning, Godaddy phones me and asks if I want to consolidate my renewals. When he asks if there are any questions about Godaddy, I asked him about the free hosting and if videos were still not allowed. He then informs me that video...literally any file...IS allowed. After all, this is now my space and I can do anything I wish with it. I again ask him...and he reconfirms...any file. He then offers to double check for me and I say yes...please do. He comes back on the line a minute later re-confirming his statement...any file is fine...used any way I wish...either a whole site on their servers or just storage or pointing to.

It now makes sense. Someone here...a popular member perhaps....misled us all pretending to phone them and report phoney information in the hopes of selling more hosting? Makes sense to me...which is why I cannot ever trust posts on this site again....and I don't recommend you do either.

Always call about your hosting questions in person and do not trust bulletin board site info when it comes to hosting. Lots of people are here to selling hosting...doh!

Actually, I've always liked this site...It's just that I was misled with an agenda.

Actually, I'm already having probs just having glanced at the setup. I made a free hosting account but I think it's going to automatically change my nameservers to theirs...which makes sense...but wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I want to use my own hosting and just point to Godaddys free hosting for hot-linking files/vids.

Halllllllllllllllllllp!

Halllllllllllllllllllp!
    Talk to godaddy or configure a second domain for the free hosting account.
    Simple enough.

Actually, I'm already having probs just having glanced at the setup. I made a free hosting account but I think it's going to automatically change my nameservers to theirs...which makes sense...but wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I want to use my own hosting and just point to Godaddys free hosting for hot-linking files/vids.

Halllllllllllllllllllp!
    So you basically want something for nothing? HA!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRack

This website forum is one of the best boards I have seen on the net by far. Everywhere however you have the bad guys and the good guys.
    May be you are right, someone a year ago or more said that godaddy does not allow video hosting, may be this is what that person was told by godaddy when he/she called and wanted to alert us (so basically that person could have been misinformed) and may be just wanted to pitch his/her service.
    What you should have done since you had an account with GoDaddy, was to clarify it with them since it could have impacted you.... (you could have done it by email so that you had it in a written format) remember GoDaddy is a big company with too many sales reps (you would have to agree they are not the top qualified either as other premium companies) so some can make up rules as they go, all they cared about was getting you off the phone and make a buck or two.

I am not defending WHT, but I am seeing both side of the spectrum

What is the BW and storage you have with them for free.... Just curuios as I never knew they offered free hosting. (I am not trying to sell you my service )
    Yep...that's very true. I've noticed that even eBay makes it up as they go along. The policy also could have changed as someone mentioned earlier. Godaddy's free hosting says 5,000mb space with Bandwidth Allotment: 250,000 MB.

I'm just having fun with it seeing if I can use them for storage right now. I have 4 domains with GD but they're already hosted elsewhere. I assigned one domain their free hosting just to see what happens. They automatically change the NS to theirs but once they finally give me the address, I'll try changing the NS back to my hosts.

I am, however, very very surprised nobody has even bothered trying this yet...or at least reported to this humorous thread.