Email : Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

I think one of my domain is been misused to send SPAM, and last few days I am receiving many emails with the "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)" failure.

Is there any way to check or stop this misuse?

Delivery Status Notification (DSN) is a function of the MTA. There are two different kinds: positive and negative delivery status notifications. Negative delivery status notifications have been available for a long time:

Sorry, your message could not be delivered to:... and hopefully some meaningful explanation. Depending on some implementation stuff, you probably get your complete message back.

You get a FAILURE when the e-mail couldn't be delivered.

Can you mention the control panel and os ?
    Reverse engineering Rocks

I get these quite a bit - and when I look at it, it is on one of my domains that I have had for years and usually it says something like dave@example.com. Of course there is no Dave here (only Corey ) and since it is a catch-all, it catches the NDR.

Basically people are using your email address as the sender. If you can, make sure that they are not using your email server (this could potentially get you on some spam lists).

I found that some SPAMers are using to send email as if it goes from my domain (like xyz@mydomain.com)

My host is shared, Linux and Cpanel

As far as I know - there is not much of anything that can be done. I can send email from scripts saying it is from just about anyone. As long as it is not coming from your mail server / IP, that is what really matters

Make sure the default address is set to :Fail: also, this will eliminate all of those
    bounces coming back to the main account.

It could be someone with a virus on their computer as some worms have been known to attach <user>@domain.com and blast emails out of their boxes and they never know about it.

Enabled the option WHM -> Exim Configuration editor -> Verify the existence of email senders.

Apply the exim deny patch in your server.

http://www.configserver.com/free/eximdeny.html. This is an excellent tutorial from Jonathan Michaelson (cpanel forum moderator
    Last edited by cybersavvy; 01-02-2007 at 11:22 AM.
    Reverse engineering Rocks

How can I know if I have gotten myself on Spam Lists? I am having some trouble getting my eMail delivered, searching for answers, I use a eNom mail server.

You can easily check on the spam database using the sites like :

www.dnsstuff.com

they do check the spam list of most common RBL's and give you the result. Else another method is to sent out messages to common accounts like the AOL's or similar guys who keep regular check on spam database, if you are blocked then you should receive the correspondence.

Al
    It is reliability that counts...