Question Free OS reload ?

Who is offer free OS reload ?

I know that 1packet, SoftLayer do, but if you guys can share infomation about others DC offer this stuff.

Thanks.

15minuteservers.com - charges $5 last time i checked.. pretty close.

Hi,

FDCServers also offer free OS Reloads, and they're pretty quick about it. I have servers with them and every time I ask for a reload they usually take less than four hours to do it even though they ask for 24 hours.

If it is a complete OS Reload, I think Staminus also offers it for free, since they do it remotely.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by rob5
    15minuteservers.com - charges $5 last time i checked.. pretty close.
    The first one is free of charge. I don't know about doing more than once.

Why do you need to reload an OS on a server you've yet to purchase?

Good question, Jeff. Maybe previous bad experience with a hosting provider that overcharged him with O/S reinstallations as an easy solution to every single problem?
    SharkTECH Internet Services
    http://www.sharktech.net
    DDOS Firewalled Dedicated Servers
    Managed Services / IRC Allowed

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff
    Why do you need to reload an OS on a server you've yet to purchase?
    .... maybe it's a development box that will need to be frequently reset back to factory to test OS level changes?
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    .... maybe it's a development box that will need to be frequently reset back to factory to test OS level changes?
    Talk about taking advantage of your provider.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff
    Talk about taking advantage of your provider.
    It shouldn't be taking advantage if the whole proccess is automated - start to finish .
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    You got it, it will be a dev box...

From what I know, FDC never charges for os reloads. I also know 1paket offers free os reloads and staminus seems to also offer free os reloads as long as it is a full reload from their image server (Please correct me if I'm mistaken). I also have read somewhere that colo4jax offers free os reloads. When they have image servers and can do it remotely, it is fairly simple to do the reload.

Regards,

I'm sure there are several hosting providers with free O/S reload, but the thing is that if you abuse them a lot (i.e 4-5 O/S reloads per day), they'll complain soon or later.

Running a development box at home or a VPS into your dedicated server might be better idea, allowing you to reinstall it yourself as many times as you want.
    SharkTECH Internet Services
    http://www.sharktech.net
    DDOS Firewalled Dedicated Servers
    Managed Services / IRC Allowed

Quote Originally Posted by psyxakias
    I'm sure there are several hosting providers with free O/S reload, but the thing is that if you abuse them a lot (i.e 4-5 O/S reloads per day), they'll complain soon or later.

Running a development box at home or a VPS into your dedicated server might be better idea, allowing you to reinstall it yourself as many times as you want.
    I'd agree with that - but, I think 4-5 reloads *per day* is excessive anyways, any way you slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by eugeniopacheco
    From what I know, FDC never charges for os reloads. I also know 1paket offers free os reloads and staminus seems to also offer free os reloads as long as it is a full reload from their image server (Please correct me if I'm mistaken). I also have read somewhere that colo4jax offers free os reloads. When they have image servers and can do it remotely, it is fairly simple to do the reload.

Regards,
    Staminus reloads cost (you'll have to ask for your specific price if you're a customer) unless you're willing to wait for it to be done on "their time" (eg. not fast). We tell our customers in the Staminus DC to allow 72 business hours even though it's usually a lot quicker.

If you're intentionally causing your server to need a reload on a regular basis Staminus will stop doing them free of charge. I suspect that most providers follow this same philosophy.

reloads

We usually do not charge for OS reloads themselves, so as long as they are not deemed to be "excessive". For us, these reloads can be accomplished during our regularly scheduled maintenance window, so it's not really that big a a deal since much of the process is more or less automated.

We once had a customer request something like 8 or 9 reloads during the span of a month, and it drove us nuts. After the last time, we informed this customer that any further reloads would incur a charge. After that, they stopped requesting them.

Staminus OS reloads are completely free and are performed with relative haste. We have had customers request as many as 5 reloads in one week, although that is very extreme and is frowned upon

We also offer an emergency OS reload service where we guarantee a certain time frame for a small fee.
    Matt Mahvi
    Staminus, Infrastructure DDoS Protection and Appliances
    @ 200+ Gbps global ddos mitigation network. Local or Remote. Proxy, GRE, and direct cross connects.
    @ Available in Amsterdam, New York, Los Angeles and Orange County. Anycast BGP.

Where are the providers that can do a bare metal restore from a backup drive that has a full backup? That's the service I like. Pick up where you last left off without fiddling with re-patching, reloading, tweaking, etc...

- John C.