Thread: Best CD-Rs?

Best CD-Rs?

I know this might sound strange, but what would you say is the best CD-Rs? Not the actual drive (which is Plextor as far as I'm concerned), the cds

Memorex. Outside of a few mistakes I've made, I haven't lost a single one yet due to failure of the disc. Verbatim also had some good discs but I haven't used theirs in awhile so I can't comment on their newer products.
    Mark Blair

Verbatim, hands down. Memorex is good, but after switching to Verbatim I can't imagine switching back.
    Jay » [email protected] • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

I vote Princo. Not only I haven't lost any discs (due to disk errors), but it actually burns at the rated speed - very important.

I used a few other brand before, where the rated speed might be 8x (or what ever) and when I start burning at 8x, the speed drops down to 2x because the media.

I use Memorex and would recommend them, don't get many coasters. You can get them in slimline cases too
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Originally posted by voxtreme-matt
    I use Memorex and would recommend them, don't get many coasters. You can get them in slimline cases too
    Cases?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spindles.jpg  

I use TDK and Sony myself. Always had quality results from both of them

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

I use Imation and Memorex.

All CD's are pretty much the same quality: However, it is dependent on your burner - some work better.

I always use nashuas, fomr 50 pc spindels. . never had any problems with them, and they can also be used at 24x
    Alexander

I almost 100% of the time use Sony's CD-Rs.

Sony & Imation

Originally posted by Fiber
    I use Imation and Memorex.

All CD's are pretty much the same quality: However, it is dependent on your burner - some work better.
    Not really.. What determines the quality of CD-R's is how long they last and how compatible they are with burners. The cheap ones, i.e. memorex, don't last as long as more expensive ones, ie sony & imation.

You think Sony sells their cds for twice as much as Memorex just because they are Sony?

Check out www.cdmediaworld.com if you don't believe me. THey have lots of articles there

Originally posted by aragon
    ...The cheap ones, i.e. memorex, don't last as long as more expensive ones, ie sony & imation.
    I have never had Memorex discs go bad over time and I've been using them for years. I believe the biggest difference between discs these days is whether or not it has a label on the disc. Ones with no label (which make is nicer for one to create custom labels) are usually more expensive.

Originally posted by aragon
    You think Sony sells their cds for twice as much as Memorex just because they are Sony?
    Yep, I do. Sony usually has higher priced products just because of the name. In my opinion, the quality is the same or very, very close yet theirs are higher priced.

Just my thoughts...
    Mark Blair

These days it doesn't matter as much, but back in the day, Verbatim was the most compatible. I've found that most dark green, gold, or silver colored CD-Rs are cheap, so avoid those. Also, Imation floppy diskettes TOTALLY suck, so I don't really trust them for CD-Rs. Right now, I'm using Memorex without any problems.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Verbatim -V.Good
    Imation - Never had a lost burn.

I think though I lean towards Imation.

I don't think Plextor is as good as they say. I'm using Lite-On which has been very good so far.
    What would be the difference between cd's that cost around .5 - $1 (such as memorex) vs cd's that you can get for about 10 - 25 cents? Such as the ones that come in 100cd spindles that have no brand marked on them.

Quality of Sound?
    Brian White - [email protected]
    High Bandwidth Reseller Hosting
    http://www.acunett.com/

Most of those with 'no brand name' actually are being made by Memorex, Verbatim, or other companies like those. I noticed that CompUSA (a local computer store) sells no-name CD-R's which are actually made by Memorex. Somehow they must be getting a deal out of those because the only difference I've noticed is they aren't labeled with a name and there is no label on the CD's. The quality of the CD's, in my opinion, are the same.
    Mark Blair

Originally posted by markblair
    Most of those with 'no brand name' actually are being made by Memorex, Verbatim, or other companies like those. I noticed that CompUSA (a local computer store) sells no-name CD-R's which are actually made by Memorex. Somehow they must be getting a deal out of those because the only difference I've noticed is they aren't labeled with a name and there is no label on the CD's. The quality of the CD's, in my opinion, are the same.
    If they are NO NAME cd's - how do you know they are Verbatim?

Originally posted by mlovick
    If they are NO NAME cd's - how do you know they are Verbatim?
    Well, in the instance I came across at the local computer store, there was still a sticker on the spindle that (in small print) had the Memorex name and copyright information. Unless Memorex also makes stickers for spindles I can safely say that they are CD's made by them. Beyond that it had a CompUSA logo on that same sticker to probably make people think they are buying "generic" CD's.
    Mark Blair

I just use the ones at CompUsa. They are twice as cheap and work fine for me.
    Brian White - [email protected]
    High Bandwidth Reseller Hosting
    http://www.acunett.com/

i use those Monkeymedia memorex ones from jungle, they are ok but ive lost quite a few due to my cd writer deciding it didn't like them.

HP ones aren't too bad i use them 2

Originally posted by Brin_AcuNett
    I don't think Plextor is as good as they say. I'm using Lite-On which has been very good so far.
    What would be the difference between cd's that cost around .5 - $1 (such as memorex) vs cd's that you can get for about 10 - 25 cents? Such as the ones that come in 100cd spindles that have no brand marked on them.

Quality of Sound?
    I say Plextor is the best in cd-writers because I recently bought a Plextor 40x12x40 drive (PX-W4012TA) and it is a fscking dream. I replaced my HP CD-Writer Plus 9100 because it died unexpectly one night while I was making some backups (after 2 years only)

Re: Best CD-Rs?

Originally posted by secludo
    I know this might sound strange, but what would you say is the best CD-Rs? Not the actual drive (which is Plextor as far as I'm concerned), the cds
    IMHO they're all the same. I got a 100-CD spindle back at Staples a while back for $10 and they work perfectly fine. I've never had a CD fail because of the brand, usually just from excessive scratching
    Get your web design questions answered: Web Design Forums at http://www.turtletips.com/forums/ ; vBulletin Board of the Month.