Thread: moving hosts

moving hosts

im trying to move an active site from my old shared host to my new VPS with as little downtime as possible.

i know cPanel/WHM can transfer your files for you but i only have cPanel on one of the hosts. Are there any similar scripts that can do it (using ftp?) as well as the database?

Do you have root on both systems? What one has cpanel the new or the old?
    I always did like the clouds

Check out they may be able to help you.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Alberta, Canada
    You can edit the TTL values on the nameservers to something low (like 60 seconds, wait 24-48 hours for that change to propagate) then update the IP to the new server to reduce downtime.

Not sure how experienced you are, but you could just copy everything manually with FTP. I know it's a VPS, but your hosting provider might also be willing to help you out.

Richmond, VA
    I agree with Jeff. I would screw the whole cPanel transfer (even if both providers had it) and do it via FTP myself. I'd just feel it's more reliable that way.
    Daniel B., CEO - and
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at]

Quote Originally Posted by spulis
    Do you have root on both systems? What one has cpanel the new or the old?
    i have cPanel on the old one and Zervex on the new one.

Ive asked both providers for help and thy said they will. just need to zip the files and the database, and they will put it in place for me.

The reason i didnt FTP the files over is because there are thousnads of files, so would be easier to zip, move across and unzip