Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    949

    Arizona & Data Centers

    Well I'm thinking of going to UAT (University of Advancing Technology) in Arizona and I was wondering if Arizona has a good deal of Data Centers out there? Around the Tuscon area since the school is right outside of Tuscon or so I'm told. I'm looking into taking Networking Engineering and LAN / WAN Design and Security and I wanted to get a job possibly while in college at a Data Center.
    Edrick Smith
    Film Production

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    602
    there are a few in phoenix I dont have exact addresses though do a google search on arizona data cewnters it should turn something up

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Castle Pines, CO
    Posts
    7,189
    CCBill is out there and a few other larger companies as well have some in Arizona

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,299
    Both Google & eBay have offices out of Tempe. While I don't know if they have actual data centers there, both places would be a good place for a student to work at. As well, Tempe has a number of financial institutions with offices there. You may be able to get an actual IT internship, which I would prefer over the reboot monkey position that you'd probably get stuck with at a data center. I wouldn't immediately go after the position though; your professor's, and colleagues will probably be able to put you in a much better position than if you were to go on a job search your first week there.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fleet Street
    Posts
    3,243
    Limelight has several datacenters in Arizona as far as I know.

    www.llnw.net

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    949
    Well that's good atleast theres a few things out there. I'll probably end up going out there over Wentworth because I've been here my whole life and I despise the winter not that we've had much of one it's like November / October here.
    Edrick Smith
    Film Production

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    171
    We use Tempe Limelight... I might visit them before I see the game Monday

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    949
    Anyone have any pictures of Limelight in Tempe? I only found info about streaming media on their site.
    Edrick Smith
    Film Production

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    171
    I don't use them directly. I go through Rackmounted.com to provide and house my servers. You could ask them. They're extremely friendly.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fleet Street
    Posts
    3,243
    They're extremely friendly.
    Yeah, but they take ages to grant IP requests ^_^

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by nocebo
    Yeah, but they take ages to grant IP requests ^_^
    You aren't supposed to use that tool that comes in Modernbill... I checked with them and it's easier if you just submit a support ticket.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fleet Street
    Posts
    3,243
    You aren't supposed to use that tool that comes in Modernbill... I checked with them and it's easier if you just submit a support ticket.
    They actually have a form for filling out IP requests - they acknowledged receiving it and then it took around two months to get it filled.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by nocebo
    They actually have a form for filling out IP requests - they acknowledged receiving it and then it took around two months to get it filled.
    That's the form I'm talking about. Submit a support ticket and it'll be hours.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fleet Street
    Posts
    3,243
    That's the form I'm talking about. Submit a support ticket and it'll be hours.
    I've sinced moved providers - but I don't remember the form being part of MB, unless it just linked to that page from inside MB?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Smith
    Well I'm thinking of going to UAT (University of Advancing Technology) in Arizona and I was wondering if Arizona has a good deal of Data Centers out there? Around the Tuscon area since the school is right outsidet or so I'm told. I'm looking into taking Networking Engineering and LAN / WAN Design and Security and I wanted to get a job possibly while in college at a Data Center.
    DakotaCom.net is in Tucson (I used to work for them) and has a fairly nice datacenter (the nicest in the Tucson area).

    But if you reach up to the Phoenix area, there's tons of places, limelight, internap, Qwest, etc.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,512
    Quote Originally Posted by nocebo
    Limelight has several datacenters in Arizona as far as I know.

    www.llnw.net
    PHX3 is pretty nice. You won't be disappointed there in terms of facility quality.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,920
    Yeah I'd imagine that any citiy with a population over 1 million is going to have corporations with a datacenter.

    On the flip side, any military base will have one, but they aren't public so they don't really count.

    By far the biggest and most would be found in Dallas.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,046
    Quote Originally Posted by fastnoc
    Yeah I'd imagine that any citiy with a population over 1 million is going to have corporations with a datacenter.

    On the flip side, any military base will have one, but they aren't public so they don't really count.

    By far the biggest and most would be found in Dallas.
    You obviously haven't been to California let alone Los Angeles or Silicon Valley/Mountain View.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Smith
    Anyone have any pictures of Limelight in Tempe? I only found info about streaming media on their site.
    We're here in Tucson (but sorry not hiring), as for limelight, we have a OC-12 from them and good experiences so I would say getting a job for them would be very rewarding, their NOC staff always sound upbeat and such , Good luck in your search!

    Quote Originally Posted by interactive
    DakotaCom.net is in Tucson (I used to work for them) and has a fairly nice datacenter (the nicest in the Tucson area).

    But if you reach up to the Phoenix area, there's tons of places, limelight, internap, Qwest, etc.
    We provide connectivity to them , they are directly next door to us (formerly UltraSW).
    Last edited by LoginTech; 02-05-2007 at 06:20 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •