* Outlook blocks attachments - you can't change it.

This morning I purchased a program that came as an exe file but I found out that last night Outlook blocked attachments with exe files in a recent update.

I don't like this.
    I can not get exe files without hacking Outlook. I have paid for Outlook and want to get exe files. I do not want to have to rename files back and forth just for e-mail to work.

Do you think that I am being a little harsh or do you agree with me? Mabey Microsoft really does know which files I should be able to receive better than I do. Tell me what you think.

There are two levels of attachment security. Access to Level 1 files is blocked and can't be changed.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...850041033.aspx

Please read this article before posting a reply.

Makes perfect sense to me. it's not rocket science to zip a file.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Quote Originally Posted by fastnoc
    Makes perfect sense to me. it's not rocket science to zip a file.
    Then again if your smart enough to zip it you shouldnt be dumb enough to run an .exe

I agree this feature should be able to be turned off but on by default.
    ...loading

Yes and no. I totally understand your frustrations but adding the availablity to unblock those types of attachments can potentially lead to problems. If the layman came across a way to allow those attachments and then receives a virus, he / she would be very upset.

Or if someone who was in a hurry did not bother to look at the attachment and decided to click on an attachment. I do wished MS would have added Email ZIP attachment to their drop down. They had to take the create to PDF and make it an add-in because of the legal issues.

Maybe in the next version they will allow EXE files. It seems they are just trying to protect some people out there.

umm as far as I know (and I support Outlook for end users) there is a way to unblock .exe
    Yes it does block them by default but even MS would'nt impede on its users so much as to 'force' block attachments like that.
    I get exe attachents all the time because I changed the blocking preferences.

Anything that prevents you from doing something should be configurable. Pretty stupid for microsoft to do this.

Like I said - totally configurable.
    Lol - there's even a message on how to do it the first time you get an attachment.
    Imagine that - a message on the screen - what a novelty.
    What version of Outlook are you using? I'm assuming it's 2003, if so let me know and I'll look up an answer for you.

That is a bit crazy.. I don't update my software at all, I'm still on XP SP1 (i love it) and my version of Outlook is Outlook 2002..

I'm glad I chose not to go with Outlook 2003, because I send many exes back and forth. I hope you find a quick resolution, because without being able to recieve exes it would take me more time to do daily tasks.

click to foward the message then right click the attachment, save as.

Thanks for your input.

fastnoc - thanks for your input

Georgecooldude - While this features should be turned off by default I think that there should be a way to turn in back on. What do you think?

Corey Bryant - Perhaps Microsoft should allow you to change what files are blocked by default in the 'Advanced' features. I have not seen many lay people go into the advanced features. That may be a way to protect lay people while giving advanced users the functionality they need.

TubuNet - This is not configurable, at least not without a third party hack. Check out the article.

ub3r - I definitely agree that this should be configurable

Tailseh - That may be the solution for now but what happens when 2002 becomes obsolete? like Windows 3.1 did.

Carp - I will give that a try.

I am sure there is a way if the above way did not help. Have you checked out the MS Community newsgroups? A lot of MVPs hang out there answering questions and you will probably get an answer.

Sue Mosher comes to mind actually - she would probably know.

Well looking at the link it seemed not to work so here it is again - just different Unblocking Attachments. Plus it also says
    (Substitute the appropriate version numbers for your installation, 12 is 2007, 11 is 2003, etc.)
    so I am guessing it will work.

I am on Exchange so I cannot really test it but it might be an idea.

Maybe in their next version they will? Afterall, they listened to developers and created Expression Web. Software companies do listen from to time to - another example is ACDSee. When 8.0 was released they had that call home feature. Users hated it and a lot did not use it / upgrade. So 9.0 came out and it is no longer calling home.

* Found a Solution

Corey - Thanks for your help.

I do not want to hack my software or spend time on forums searching for a MVP to get a feature that was there when I purchased it.

I have switched to Mozilla Thunderbird for e-mail and Mozilla Lightning for my calendar. They work quite well and I do not expect to switch back to Outlook any time soon.

Installing both programs was quicker than hacking Outlook would have been

Thanks everyone for your help - I am no longer using Outlook so no need to post any Outlook solutions here.