SSL certificates

Hi there folks, I hope this is in the correct forum.

From one of my other posts, you may have read that I am looking to set up a zenCart e-commerce system. Now, I often see posts referring to shared or private SSL.

Can someone explain to me why I would want a private SSL as opposed to shared?

Cheers,

Kris

Take a look at this link. That pretty much covers the basics.

Thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy_Don
    Hi there folks, I hope this is in the correct forum.

From one of my other posts, you may have read that I am looking to set up a zenCart e-commerce system. Now, I often see posts referring to shared or private SSL.

Can someone explain to me why I would want a private SSL as opposed to shared?

Cheers,

Kris
    I won't enter my information or CC number on a shared SSL because there is no assurance that my information is really going to your website.

A shared SSL will normally direct your consumers over to a site that your web hosting provider has set up. Does this look unprofessional? Perhaps. But it is up to you.

Sometimes using a shared SSL you have to do a few extra things to make the checkout procedure work. Everything (images etc) needs to be called via SSL. Sometimes some hosting companies require you to put everything in a special folder in your domain.

Which SSL will help explain some differences in the ssl providers

Corey has a very vaild point. It really all depends on the provider offering shared ssl service. To make things easier, I would suggest just getting a private SSL and have the host set it up for you. Or on the other hand you can get a shared if your budget does not allow for a private. Thats basically the only difference is budget IMHO. Shared is free, private you pay for.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

If you can't afford to get a private SSL, you have defeated yourself because it is all about giving your customers a reason to buy from you and you want to look professional and safe.

Here are some good things to do that show a genuine presence:

- Dedicated IP address and private ssl
    - BBB member & online reliability seal
    - D&B number (D&B seal is good too)
    - Server vulnerability check seal
    - Easily found street address and phone number on website (no PO box!)
    - Domain name registration information matches address and phone number on website
    - Register domain name for more than 1 year

Hi Festus,

Can you just clarify what BBB and D&B are?

Thanks,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Festus2005
    If you can't afford to get a private SSL, you have defeated yourself because it is all about giving your customers a reason to buy from you and you want to look professional and safe.
    This is true in a way, but also for startup ecommerce companies a shared ssl will give them the security they need for the time being.

Better business Bureau
    Dun and BradStreet

Look them up on Google. Very nice to be apart of. D&B will help you build up your business credit if ineed you are legal formation.

Hmmm thanks ok I will have a look. The company is UK based. The company is already established and is just another route for the business to expand.

Kris