8 8.00%
  • Aplus

6 6.00%
  • Managed Hosting

7 7.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Host will you rate the Best for Dedicated Server Now

After having a look at the recent threads and problems faced by members of this forum, i have found that Layeredtech is not the best at their current prices. (I had 4 servers with them and price was good, so was the support). I also had a few problems last month and i am thinking of shifting to some other provider.

But now, i wish to ask the members about which company they think is the best and will provide value for money.

Please vote on the poll and also, post a comment on the thread about your experience with the host you chose.

Thanks

None of the above, not even remotely.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

How the hell those the poll percentages add upto 100 percent?

where is softlayer?

Who is Hi-Vetocity, they do not come up in a Google search.

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET)
    None of the above, not even remotely.

Bailey
    hmm, if the protector doesn't find any of these, then he must give some more suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    How the hell those the poll percentages add upto 100 percent?
    ppl can give multiple votes, so it will go to more than 100 %, rest Vbulletin knows

None of the above, i'm not going to get into reasons why simply because people can do a simple search on WHT and figure out their own reasons. While cheap, none of the above have "great" reviews. But then again, I guess you get what you pay for. Just glad not to see Alphared/Orangefiber on the list. =]
    Alexander McMillen
    President and CEO - Sliqua Enterprise Hosting, Inc. - AS32740
    Serving up scale and service since 2002. Is your mission critical?
    1-877-4-SLIQUA - http://www.sliqua.com - http://www.isyourmissioncritical.com

Polls like these are useless anyway, everybody will just choose their own provider / service they are connected to.

+ the poll now adds up to 175 percent
    My education is finally over at 28... But now I am looking for a full time job and tru lurrv...
    Have you found the WHT rules & guidelines? Took me 4 years!

I can think of more good providers to put on there

There is no best host, only the host thats best for you.

The best way to find out all this information from us is not to start a poll, but use this funky thing called the Search function here. You can find reviews and peoples experiences with all those hosts listed, and more.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxtechie
    I can think of more good providers to put on there
    send in your suggestions buddy, i added the few i had experience with, you give your suggestions, we can implement a bigger poll next time

I would like to get a common view of the forum members regarding which is the best.

As far i think, In shared hosting, Hostgator and GoDaddy are the best. (Many experienced people may contradict this). But we need to make a view about which company is best in Dedicated Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by gdtechind
    I would like to get a common view of the forum members regarding which is the best.
    Do a search. Seriously, these polls are generally either a) flawed or b) ignored by a good many members of this forum, and even if a host gets a good amount of votes, there could still be horror stories behind them. Also, did you read my above post and the little quote I had?

Alex

Seriously none of the above.

I haven't used LayeredTech since December 2004, so I can't comment on how they are now.
    Last edited by XF-Chan; 01-01-2007 at 02:24 PM.
    Servers proudly hosted at... WebNX (10) - Netelligent (6)
    Also enjoying services from DreamHost, Hyperspin
    (#) indicates number of servers - 16 total

i dont know, but people here want everyone to search and search and search only.

Can't we talk something new, or have to dig every time we need to know something ? I agree that there is no use of talking on the same thing many a times, but there may be some new ideas / thoughts / experiences coming in starting the topics about hosts.

BTW, i read your earlier post as well. I am not new here, i come, read, but do not speak or post as much as others do.

And if you believe, i search really a lot and post only when i feel like its really required. Am lazy to write a post, so i prefer to search the forum first and only when i dont get an answer, i post a thread.

PLEASE No Posts just saying, none of above. If you really feel like, send in your recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by gdtechind
    BTW, i read your earlier post as well. I am not new here, i come, read, but do not speak or post as much as others do.
    Then since you are not new, you must see that these threads pop up about once every other week, and are largely inconclusive. There is no best host. Seriously. Everybody has different needs and requirements, and everybody considers different things to be of value to them. Therefore, your poll is fundamentally flawed.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    Then since you are not new, you must see that these threads pop up about once every other week, and are largely inconclusive. There is no best host. Seriously. Everybody has different needs and requirements, and everybody considers different things to be of value to them. Therefore, your poll is fundamentally flawed.

Alex
    you know better as you are more active on this forum than me

Quote Originally Posted by XF-Chan
    Seriously none of the above.

I haven't used LayeredTech since December 2004, so I can't comment on how they are now.
    Judging by the recent reviews on WHT, not very good!
    █ Tech-Hosts
    https://www.tech-hosts.co.uk
    █ UK Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS & Dedicated Servers

i have been with LT for more than 15 months now. Since two months, things are not going well

Dediwebhost FTW

None of the above, my vote would goto steadfast first and foremost.

But if I had to pick from your list I would go with Layered Tech
    Linux junkie | steward.io

I don't see them there. But I think softlayer is doing an incredible job.
    - Comprehensive Server Management & End User Support
    - Now 100% U.S. Owned & Operated
    - Now offering instantly ready end-user support. 30secondsupport.com

I agree with others that a search of each is best and evaluate each negative you read on their own merits, seriously, in all the years I have been on WHT I still keep seeing negative posts about hosts where the "customer" is probably more to blame than the provider so you need to be careful.

You cant just say 15/20 posts for LT are negative so that means they are bad! Not so, I have had a server with LT for 12 months and had only occasional network glitches, server runs fine, they like others have many 000's or 000's or customers, a few negs on here dont make them bad, despite what others who have never tried them want you to think.

Just my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by wisenerl
    I agree with others that a search of each is best and evaluate each negative you read on their own merits, seriously, in all the years I have been on WHT I still keep seeing negative posts about hosts where the "customer" is probably more to blame than the provider so you need to be careful.

You cant just say 15/20 posts for LT are negative so that means they are bad! Not so, I have had a server with LT for 12 months and had only occasional network glitches, server runs fine, they like others have many 000's or 000's or customers, a few negs on here dont make them bad, despite what others who have never tried them want you to think.

Just my 2c
    i also have been with them for long time and had no issues
    Get Best Prices for Domains - Secure payments via paypal using the Resellerclub interface. Sub Resellers invited. Hosting Companies i DON'T recommend anymore: MDDHosting, Hostgator, DownTownHost.

Layeredtech is a good budget provider. I have had servers there for about 2 years now and overall they are good. Their support times are reasonable for the price I would say

Our primary provider now is SOFTLAYER for dedicateds for the following reasons:

1)SUPER fast Hardware Replacement SLA

2)Solid Network, Strong BW providers

3)Friendly Staff, the people there treat me like absolute gold and I am not even remotely in the ballpark of a big spender.

4)Self Help control panel, I rarely have to contact support staff. They contact me more to see how things are going and to make sure I'm happy and enjoying my stay.

5) VERY fast and efficient staff, when someone takes a ticket they mean business. No screwing around "escalating" tickets to the next knucklehead in the chain of blame. Just a good, solid, smart, friendly tech on the end. They always seem to make sure I am 100% happy at the end of a trouble ticket.

I go with softlayer also
    WHMCS Services - sales (at) whmcsservices.com
    WHMCS Development | WHMCS Addons / Modules

voxrox / voxel is the best

Quote Originally Posted by jeev
    voxrox / voxel is the best
    any experiences and what packages do they offer
    Get Best Prices for Domains - Secure payments via paypal using the Resellerclub interface. Sub Resellers invited. Hosting Companies i DON'T recommend anymore: MDDHosting, Hostgator, DownTownHost.

SoftLayer is the best - for me. It depends on what you need; I need their private network.

SoftLayer has built an excellent reputation for themselves. I haven't even used them before, but I just know that they are one of the best, hands down.

DedicatedNOW?

Hi-Vetocity Anyone heard this ever ??

Hivelocity I have heard of and was once a customer there. When I was there they were cogent based and cheap. They were routinely unreliable but many of the hosts listed in this poll are about the same from my experience and I have reason to believe things have changed there as they no longer seem top focus on low priced servers like they used to.
    You can find them at hivelocity.net
    One of their sales assistances looked me up to see how we were doing since it had been 2 years since we left. This in itself shows they care to some degree about their customers past and present in taking the time to follow up with them. They raised their prices so I assume that was to provide a better level of service.

Well to list providers I think deserve mention I will bring up the ones I am with now because if they were all that bad I probably wouldnt be with them much longer.

Staminus tops my list. I host my highest risk irc users there and they have never once nulled an ip even in the face of what was reported to be up to 2.4gbit in ddos. Even under the larger attacks my customers can bring in the main server itself was completely unaffected by this and if it wasnt for the automatic attack alerts they send I would never had known there was an attack.
    They also have an excellent control panel with the exception that you don't always notice all the things you can do there and often end up opening up a ticket to do something just to be told its in the control panel. Direct control over reboots, reverse dns and a lot more without having to bother a tech. Maybe if they make the options easier to find by redesigning the interface some it would be the perfect panel.

The down side would be price...but you do get what you pay for. Also is their irc hosted servers have no techs on the floor. I think its even at a different physical address and if a tech does actually need to go get hands on and cannot operate remotely on something they have to leave the office to arrive at the datacenter hosting irc so this may add 10-15 minute delay when remote work is not possible for the tech.

Gige we are only recently beginning to use after much dissatisfaction with FDC. They appear to be on par with staminus in all areas we need them to be but our experience with them is sort of limited to the past 3 months. Time will tell and like staminus they are a bit up in the price scale but so far well worth it.

JustEdge is a mixed bag for us. They have decent prices but their support systems are hard to access. Good thing is we almost never have a problem but when we do I find it hard to get emergency support attention and their hands off billing system scares me in that you can sometimes go months and it won't invoice you and no one even notices or suspends your account. So good service, medium support and the worlds most procrastinated billing. This gives us the impression of a good but very flimsy datacenter. I keep thinking the whole house of cards will fall down any moment and crush my two dual P3 servers there.

ThePlanet is one I can't say anything bad about..excellent control panel top notch overall service in all areas but they have many restrictions which prevent us from using their servers for many of the things we do . I have recently closed the server since we have servers in other places that are able to do the same job plus things we cannot do at theplanet. But for a long time theplanet hosted our main web, mail, mysql, and a handful of special purpose customer accounts. Our leaving theplanet was a purely budget decision.

Sagonet has been our oldest datacenter relationship. We have been with them from the very beginning but we have only the one server there. Sago is an overall nice facility but there is nothing very remarkable about them but they rank above those listed in the poll to me. The server we have we will probably always have due to it being a deal we will never again get anywhere. We have 1500GB per month for $60 and that alone means that I will always keep this box and if I have to invent something for it to do to make it useful if I have to.
    One down side is at the time of our signup and probably still today they give you 10 IPs and never allow you to get more for any reason. They also didnt support reverse dns delegation at the time but I haven't asked about that in a long time now.

Alphared is another good facility. They don't have strong ddos but we don't need that for our purpose there. They offer excellent pricing and and very good uptimes and we have a nice SLA which we get mainly because we pay them $1400 per month for our rack, class c block and 100mbit commit on 1gbit uplink. Good uses for alphared are file servers and high transfer services but I wouldnt suggest them if ping times is yoru major concern such as game servers.
    At present then use cogent and timewarner and have plans to remove cogent. When we signed up we had abovenet and was not happy to see abovenet go out and cogent in but we hope their future plans will bring us back to a cogent free backbone soon
    One of the best things about alpahred is support. They take our requests from phone or email without complaint or registering for some weird ticket system which they have if thats more your style. To me there is nothing I like better then to get first hand info by phone in real time when there is something critical we need handled.
    Siena deserves honorable mention and has been especially helpful in the face of their not so reliable sales person Micheal. Had it not been for Siena I would have probably left due to Michaels inability to address anything important I email him about or answer or even acknowlege even a single voice mail to his office or cell phone. To me if a sales rep ignores 100% of my phone calls and 80% of my emails he doesnt deserve my business. Despite Micheal (who has also recently been banned from wht) I am by far overall satisfied by alphared and they have extended me huge amounts of support and leeway in situations where other datacenters would have told me to $&#* myself. I have never once found a datacenter more interested in doing what it takes to keep my business and I am probably by far the customer from hell most times.

Awknet is one that we like for price and quality mix. The problem with awknet is its run by only one person so sometimes supoort is difficult but I do know the owner personally and have even bought one of his companies he owned while he was founding awknet. I see good potential but a learning curve is in progress that I am now seeing close to the later end of the curve now. The prices are very reasonable and the service so far has been excellent allowing mostly email and direct phoen contact for anythign anyone might need even ifyou are waking Justin up at 2AM. I hope this continues a awknet grows and expands hiring more techs for better 24 hour converage. This is a datacenter that I believe is well worth it and I see good things in the future of awknet.

I'm currently a hivelocity customer, I'm working on a new project and getting ready to purchase some more servers for streaming video. I've also been looking around for something cheaper, I figured I'd, I haven't found anything better than Hivelocity as far as price goes, specially when doing high bandwidth (100mbit or more)... I would recommend looking around but definelely give Hivelocity a good look, you can get better deals by talking to a representative so I suggest doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by MiguelWhitney
    I'm currently a hivelocity customer, I'm working on a new project and getting ready to purchase some more servers for streaming video. I've also been looking around for something cheaper, I figured I'd, I haven't found anything better than Hivelocity as far as price goes, specially when doing high bandwidth (100mbit or more)... I would recommend looking around but definelely give Hivelocity a good look, you can get better deals by talking to a representative so I suggest doing that.
    bandwidth is cheap with one french host (i forgot the name, OVT maybe) and another is fdcservers (am not sure about their support, but cost is really good)

I should note that gige appears to have anetowrk problem. I hope this isnt going to be an indication of things to come. One outage in 3 months...I guess thats ok since it could be just a one time problem. When staminus had one outage for the first time in 2 years thats something I can live with.

Here i added one customer of Rackspace.com

this site teach me the rackspace while i looked at their nameserver address,

look at the speed of the servers, they are like bullet, this speed took my attention.

http://www.metacafe.com

lolz, most of server i want to vote not there.
    softlayer, ev1server
    i dont have server with this 2, but i have some accounts with my friend server there.

Quote Originally Posted by kib5
    Hivelocity I have heard of and was once a customer there. When I was there they were cogent based and cheap. They were routinely unreliable but many of the hosts listed in this poll are about the same from my experience and I have reason to believe things have changed there as they no longer seem top focus on low priced servers like they used to.
    You can find them at hivelocity.net
    One of their sales assistances looked me up to see how we were doing since it had been 2 years since we left. This in itself shows they care to some degree about their customers past and present in taking the time to follow up with them. They raised their prices so I assume that was to provide a better level of service.

Well to list providers I think deserve mention I will bring up the ones I am with now because if they were all that bad I probably wouldnt be with them much longer.

Staminus tops my list. I host my highest risk irc users there and they have never once nulled an ip even in the face of what was reported to be up to 2.4gbit in ddos. Even under the larger attacks my customers can bring in the main server itself was completely unaffected by this and if it wasnt for the automatic attack alerts they send I would never had known there was an attack.
    They also have an excellent control panel with the exception that you don't always notice all the things you can do there and often end up opening up a ticket to do something just to be told its in the control panel. Direct control over reboots, reverse dns and a lot more without having to bother a tech. Maybe if they make the options easier to find by redesigning the interface some it would be the perfect panel.

The down side would be price...but you do get what you pay for. Also is their irc hosted servers have no techs on the floor. I think its even at a different physical address and if a tech does actually need to go get hands on and cannot operate remotely on something they have to leave the office to arrive at the datacenter hosting irc so this may add 10-15 minute delay when remote work is not possible for the tech.

Gige we are only recently beginning to use after much dissatisfaction with FDC. They appear to be on par with staminus in all areas we need them to be but our experience with them is sort of limited to the past 3 months. Time will tell and like staminus they are a bit up in the price scale but so far well worth it.

JustEdge is a mixed bag for us. They have decent prices but their support systems are hard to access. Good thing is we almost never have a problem but when we do I find it hard to get emergency support attention and their hands off billing system scares me in that you can sometimes go months and it won't invoice you and no one even notices or suspends your account. So good service, medium support and the worlds most procrastinated billing. This gives us the impression of a good but very flimsy datacenter. I keep thinking the whole house of cards will fall down any moment and crush my two dual P3 servers there.

ThePlanet is one I can't say anything bad about..excellent control panel top notch overall service in all areas but they have many restrictions which prevent us from using their servers for many of the things we do . I have recently closed the server since we have servers in other places that are able to do the same job plus things we cannot do at theplanet. But for a long time theplanet hosted our main web, mail, mysql, and a handful of special purpose customer accounts. Our leaving theplanet was a purely budget decision.

Sagonet has been our oldest datacenter relationship. We have been with them from the very beginning but we have only the one server there. Sago is an overall nice facility but there is nothing very remarkable about them but they rank above those listed in the poll to me. The server we have we will probably always have due to it being a deal we will never again get anywhere. We have 1500GB per month for $60 and that alone means that I will always keep this box and if I have to invent something for it to do to make it useful if I have to.
    One down side is at the time of our signup and probably still today they give you 10 IPs and never allow you to get more for any reason. They also didnt support reverse dns delegation at the time but I haven't asked about that in a long time now.

Alphared is another good facility. They don't have strong ddos but we don't need that for our purpose there. They offer excellent pricing and and very good uptimes and we have a nice SLA which we get mainly because we pay them $1400 per month for our rack, class c block and 100mbit commit on 1gbit uplink. Good uses for alphared are file servers and high transfer services but I wouldnt suggest them if ping times is yoru major concern such as game servers.
    At present then use cogent and timewarner and have plans to remove cogent. When we signed up we had abovenet and was not happy to see abovenet go out and cogent in but we hope their future plans will bring us back to a cogent free backbone soon
    One of the best things about alpahred is support. They take our requests from phone or email without complaint or registering for some weird ticket system which they have if thats more your style. To me there is nothing I like better then to get first hand info by phone in real time when there is something critical we need handled.
    Siena deserves honorable mention and has been especially helpful in the face of their not so reliable sales person Micheal. Had it not been for Siena I would have probably left due to Michaels inability to address anything important I email him about or answer or even acknowlege even a single voice mail to his office or cell phone. To me if a sales rep ignores 100% of my phone calls and 80% of my emails he doesnt deserve my business. Despite Micheal (who has also recently been banned from wht) I am by far overall satisfied by alphared and they have extended me huge amounts of support and leeway in situations where other datacenters would have told me to $&#* myself. I have never once found a datacenter more interested in doing what it takes to keep my business and I am probably by far the customer from hell most times.

Awknet is one that we like for price and quality mix. The problem with awknet is its run by only one person so sometimes supoort is difficult but I do know the owner personally and have even bought one of his companies he owned while he was founding awknet. I see good potential but a learning curve is in progress that I am now seeing close to the later end of the curve now. The prices are very reasonable and the service so far has been excellent allowing mostly email and direct phoen contact for anythign anyone might need even ifyou are waking Justin up at 2AM. I hope this continues a awknet grows and expands hiring more techs for better 24 hour converage. This is a datacenter that I believe is well worth it and I see good things in the future of awknet.
    You stole $200 from me and owe others thousands, your business is nothing but a sham and you steal money from people who try to help your sorry business. Just leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast