Ideas to connecting your Home Theather system to PC?

I just recently bought a Home Theater system and I am disappointed that it didn't have any fiber optical cable that can connect to my PC. It has some Audio INPUTS though. Any ideas on how I might be able to get my PC to connect with it? Basically I want my PC to use my Home Theater's speakers as THE speaker. I've done it before using optical cables, just having problems with the one I have now. I might return it for something that has Fiber Optic Output.

HTS3440/37 is the model I'm using from Phillips.

thanks.

I'd like to add that the PC I want it on is a Sony VAIO PCVRS430G, it says it has a Coaxial Output SPDIF "digital output". How does it look like? Is it the same as the yellow thing you see with the TV (Yellow, White and Red) inputs?

To get the audio from the PC to the home theater reciever, you could do it with a Y-Cable with a 1/8" headphone connector that convert into two RCA plugs (red/white). You'd hook the 1/8" into the speaker port of your soundcard and then the RCA ends into an input on your receiver. I don't know how you'd do it with fiber optic or digital output cables... I just use the Y-Cable in my own setup.

Here's a link to radioshack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
    He arose!

How is the quality ? Is it just decent or you think it could be better?

I use a similar cable to use our Bose surround sound system with my PC. It works great IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSpock
    To get the audio from the PC to the home theater reciever, you could do it with a Y-Cable with a 1/8" headphone connector that convert into two RCA plugs (red/white). You'd hook the 1/8" into the speaker port of your soundcard and then the RCA ends into an input on your receiver. I don't know how you'd do it with fiber optic or digital output cables... I just use the Y-Cable in my own setup.

Here's a link to radioshack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

I have a PCVRS430G Sony VAIO PC of many years ago. I recently bought a Home Theater System, a Phillips HTS3440. I was disappointed that there wasn't any Fiber Optic Input, as my older home theater system did. I did find an Digital Input for the "Coaxial" cable. I want to hook up my computer on my Home Theater system.

So I have a few questions:

1) Which of these would be considered an "SPDIF Output"? According to Sony, my computer has this out put, but I can't quite find it.
    http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5...0459ds3.th.jpg

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5...0459bt3.th.jpg

2) If I watch movies (DVD) or play video games that supports surround sound, will it be able to do this using the SPDIF Output on my 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System?

3) What advantages does Fiber Optic Audio Input than a SPDIF "Digital" "Coaxial" Input?

4) According to an article I read, the Coaxial cable would be the same as the "Composite video cable" that comes with every Home THeater System. Is this true?

5) On my manual on the Home Theater System, it says to "Connect the FM Antenna to the FM jack. Extend the wire and fix its END TO THE WALL". On the capitalized part, how do I put the wire to the wall? I'm confused.

6) Should I return this one and get a better deal that supports Fiber Optic Input?

Coax and Optical should sound the same really, so don't worry about losing the optical. Some people prefer optical, and others prefer coax. Both use SPDIF though. Coax cables are cheaper though, and you will probably already have one around anyway.

As for fixing the antenna to the wall, well how would you connect something else to the wall? Tape? Nail? Just use anything which holds it in a good position (hold the cable in various places to test before you permanently connect it!).

There is no need to return it and get a "better" (not really the case) optical connection.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    Coax and Optical should sound the same really, so don't worry about losing the optical. Some people prefer optical, and others prefer coax. Both use SPDIF though. Coax cables are cheaper though, and you will probably already have one around anyway.

As for fixing the antenna to the wall, well how would you connect something else to the wall? Tape? Nail? Just use anything which holds it in a good position (hold the cable in various places to test before you permanently connect it!).

There is no need to return it and get a "better" (not really the case) optical connection.
    Okay, that seemed pretty odd though. That the first I heard about putting stuff in the wall.

Anyways, can you check my screenshots above and tell me which is an Coax Output from my computer? I can't seem to "find" it.

I can only see one digital output, that being the optical connection on the back.
    Steve

I think you need a mono male p2 ("mini jack") on one end, and a RCA male on the other. Then you can connect the computer to your system, and just set your sound card for digital out.

Can't really tell from your pictures, but it seems you only have an optical out.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

This may not help you, but it may help others.... i wanted to accomplish the same thing you have, albeit i did it in a way that used the stuff i had at my house already.

Video RCA cable from the tower to the tv... that pushes the video to use the tv as a part of my desktop (i primarily use a 19" widescreen lcd beside the couch for the pc, but can now drag movies/work onto my 32" tv as well). For the audio portion, i have an old fm transmitter i picked up off ebay about a year ago, and hooked that up to the headphone out... then tune my home stereo to the desired fm frequency, and any sounds created on my sound card are now pumped through the receiver in fm stereo. Easy convenient set-up, and the neighbours like tuning into my itunes playlist brodcasting on fm. (i've bee able to pick up the fm signal about 4 blocks from my place).

Basically. it's a pretty easy thing to do. As explained by the previous posts as well, you just need a couple cables and you're good to go.