This is not a webhosting related issue but is a credit card/payment issue. If this is not posted to the correct place, please move to the correct forum.

I am in need of where I can find a specific law or policy relating to keeping hardcopy of credit card information on file and printing on reciepts or invoices.

Summary of Events:

On 12/16 I stopped in a local store and made a purchase with my VISA card for under $5.00. On 12/19 while checking my bank statement online I noticed two transactions for this particular store. One was for the original amount on 12/16 and then another transaction for $20.00 on 12/17 which I didn't make. Upon review of the credit card receipt I found that it lists my name, the full credit card number (all 16 digits) and the expiration date. I went to the store and talked with the manager and was told that I was the second person that had fraudulent charges during that weekend. The full numbers also print out on the receipt I signed and left at the store AND on the register tape. There has been a police report made and my bank is in the process of refunding the fraudulent transaction along with having to cancel my VISA card and get a new one - 10 day waiting on a new card.

Now my question is - isn't there a law or policy in place that prevents the full number from being displayed on the receipts and the full information from being stored on hardcopy at the store location? If so, where can I find this information? Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.