Need Help Locating A Specific Law or Policy

This is not a webhosting related issue but is a credit card/payment issue. If this is not posted to the correct place, please move to the correct forum.

I am in need of where I can find a specific law or policy relating to keeping hardcopy of credit card information on file and printing on reciepts or invoices.

Summary of Events:

On 12/16 I stopped in a local store and made a purchase with my VISA card for under $5.00. On 12/19 while checking my bank statement online I noticed two transactions for this particular store. One was for the original amount on 12/16 and then another transaction for $20.00 on 12/17 which I didn't make. Upon review of the credit card receipt I found that it lists my name, the full credit card number (all 16 digits) and the expiration date. I went to the store and talked with the manager and was told that I was the second person that had fraudulent charges during that weekend. The full numbers also print out on the receipt I signed and left at the store AND on the register tape. There has been a police report made and my bank is in the process of refunding the fraudulent transaction along with having to cancel my VISA card and get a new one - 10 day waiting on a new card.

Now my question is - isn't there a law or policy in place that prevents the full number from being displayed on the receipts and the full information from being stored on hardcopy at the store location? If so, where can I find this information? Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbert2002
    Now my question is - isn't there a law or policy in place that prevents the full number from being displayed on the receipts and the full information from being stored on hardcopy at the store location? If so, where can I find this information? Does anyone have any experience in this area?
    Most states yes - they do only allow the last 4-digits of the credit card number to be imprinted. I am pretty certain though that Visa North America also passed something a few years ago as well also stating the same.

If the merchant is still doing this, chances are he / she is in violation of his / her merchant account agreement and could possibly be placed on the TMF / MATCH list. He might be using some outdated software etc.

If you contact your issuing bank and let them know what you said here, they should have their department look into this matter.

Further, more customers instead just contact their issuing bank and let them know the merchant account provider will possibly suspend their merchant account until they find out what is happening.

If you ever have to have you card imprinted - never leave the carbon (if that is there). And never give more information on there. For example, we went out to dinner one night and their terminals were down. The waiter told us we needed to put our telephone number and driver's license number on the slip - to which we refused. A credit card transaction requires some specific parts - but does not require a telephone number and certainly not our driver's license.

If you in fact did a chargeback, then the processor will be notified and appropriate action will be handled through them.

Sorry I remembered the specific word - it had been quite awhile since it was release... the word is truncation. Check out Visa USA Announces Account Truncation Initiative to Protect Consumers from ID Theft - that should help you out