increase the max ram?

I ask mom if the computer cost $1000 but she said more than that.

Please don't ask me to throw that money away. Thanks for understanding.

How do I increase the max RAM from 256 MB to 512 MB? I would like to know how so that I can install more than 256 MB. I have only 96 MB. I have read a bunch of articles that suggested that window 98SE can run with 512 MB.

We need to know the motherboard, number of memory slots and the unused if any memory slots in order to help you.

The limitation is not going to be the software. It is going to be the slots open or available slots.

Windows 98 SE will run fine with as little as 256MB. Windows XP pro will run with 256MB. Right now at this moment I am running XP pro with only 384MB.

Colbyt

I don't care what these articles tell you about more RAM 512mb Windows for 98SE will run better with this is bull. Windows 98se will NOT use all that RAM it was not design that way. See Minimum Hardware Requirements for a Windows 98 Installation at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182751
    (16 megabytes (MB) of memory (24 MB recommended)) However, many games as to many software many run better with 256mb or more. So therefore windows 98se will run this with no problem.

I have only 96 MB with is it ... 96 mb or 256mb install on this computer which is it?

What I'm reading this computer can be that new and sound like you are using a 486 or 586 motherboard.

How old is this computer?
    What is the brand name of the computer or motherboard?
    Micro Dynamic is your one stop shop for all of your internet marketing promotion needs. Micro Dynamic.

My computer is 7 years old. I got the computer as a christmas present in the 1999. The brand name is compaq presarious 5822.

I have only 96 RAM installed. I have 2 slots.

According to the computer system information, the max RAM capacity is 256 RAM. Which probably mean that I can only install up to 256 RAM.

And when I tried to installed the panda internet security 2007, today, it said that I need 128 RAM. I am looking for paid firewall and antivirus to put on window 98. I just check out the site and saw that firewall/antivirus can be install on a computer with 96 RAM. I am going to give the antivirus+internet security a run to see if it will run on my computer.

This buy two of 128MB Module that will give you 256mb.
    And remove old RAM from the motherboard. RAM is not that hard to install.

And make sure that you follow the SDRAM DIMM Installation Guide at:
    http://www.memorystock.com/Installat...on%20Guide.pdf
    Micro Dynamic is your one stop shop for all of your internet marketing promotion needs. Micro Dynamic.

The website you posted looks quite accurate indiaberry. Although the machine is old enough that I'd hesitate to invest any more money or time into it. Even a three-four year old used machine might be a better use of your money.

If you keep running Windows98 consider this free package that collects all available updates and adjusts the performance of Windows a little, too. http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

But as suggested in the other thread, you should consider switching to a different operating system (I'll also suggest Ubuntu), although for a newbie that certainly isn't an easy task. Good luck with whatever you do.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Hmm Berry ,

Buy a new pc ... .. SDRAM anything its slower !

how much are you ready to put in ? can tell in Rs. too ..

Ciao

I am going to respectfully disagree with wmicro. The extra ram will reduce or eliminate the swaps between the memory and the hard drive hence the system will run better/faster. Also some newer software will require the extra memory to run. Windows does not have to have it but they do.

I ran the machine I am using right now with 128mb for a couple of years before I dropped another stick into it. I recall the immediate increase in speed.

For your machine anything over 256K may be a waste of money. The link you provided does indicate 256 max. The Kingston Ram site says the machine can handle 512. They both could be right if a bios update is required for the large dimm.

128mb sticks of pc100 are pretty cheap on Ebay and brand new ones can be found for not a lot of money. Here are the two Kingston value ram part numbers for your machine:
    KTC3088/128 128MB Module
    KTC3088/256 256MB Module

Colbyt

Usually the max ram has something to do with BIOS/mobo, and cannot be upgraded. I'm using a 5 year old desktop, with 384MB/XP Pro just fine, maybe you can just add a 128MB ram stick.

I decided not to go with the panda software, I keep having to uninstall one software or another (mostly antivirus). And then I got pretty tired of that. So I went with NOD32. I still need to buy a firewall.
    I brought a 128 MB ram stick and I am waiting for it to come. I am going to remove the 32 MB ram stick and put in the 128 MB ram stick. And then I will have a total of 172 MB ram until I buy another 128 MB ram stick to replace the 64 MB ram stick.
    I don't know how to upgrade the BIOS. My bios is password protecting my computer, so that when I turn it on, I have to put in the password to unlock the computer. And when I unlock the computer, I wait until I get to the sign in screen to sign into my account.
    I have download the free package update. When will there be a version 2.2?
    Also, when will there be package with all the upgrade/fixes from the microsoft site? Weren't there more upgrade and fixes than what is currently on the microsoft site?
    Have microsoft yet fix those 2 big bugs that they found about 2 or 3 years ago?

damn, that is ooold!

I suggest that you simply buy a new PC insted of fiddling with RAM. Even the cheapest PC you can get from an online shop (already collected up) can run any Windows version below VIsta easily. Even for $200 you'd get a massive improvement (say, buying Celeron D or Sempron PC) + Windows XP.
    Win98, it is very old! If you are suffering from crashes all day, either use WinXP when getting a new PC, or try out running Linux on the current PC

Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows 95, 98 and Windows ME.
    And you may not need to set your BIOS you will see when you install the new RAM and see what happen. However on some old computer may need to change the voltage setting for the new RAM the in the BIOS setting.

Also there are two way to get in the BIOS and remove password when that come.

And make sure that you follow the SDRAM DIMM Installation Guide before installing the new RAM.

I only know one way to get into the BIOS: F8 after turning on computer. What is the other way to get into the bios?

I will remove the password when the time come. How do I change the voltage setting? How do I know how much voltage is too much or too little?

What setting would need to be change if I go with linux? I might not go with linux.

This computer will serve be for another few years.

"You should NEVER handle memory or computer parts if you have any static electricity buildup."

If I do this, should I wear electricity gloves to avoid getting shot?

How do I increase the max RAM from 256 MB to 512 MB?
    Traditionally, you can not.
    There ARE motherboard manufacturers that will issue updates to bios through "flashing", but with a system THAT old, I hate to say it, but you're not going to have an easy time dealing with that.

The limitation is not going to be the software. It is going to be the slots open or available slots.
    Close
    The limitation isn't set forth by "open slots", but by the motherboard itself. Just because a board has 2 slots open doesn't mean it'll accept 2x512, it means it has 2 slots open. The motherboard manual/manufacturer will tell you what you can use.

A computer 7 years old is way too old to do anything with. You're forced to run outdated software (ie: windows 98, ME, etc), you're forced to use outdated hardware, and all in all you're forced to run years behind the rest of the world.
    Unfortunately, your best response is going to be picking something new up. You can pick up a PC reasonably on E-Bay for 3-400, or get something cheap @ WalMart for $500 any more, so upgrading is going to be your best option.

Computers, unlike most other electronic devices have a shelf life. 2-3 years is pushing it for a computer.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

As for the 'flashing' and $$$ computer $$$ manufactor $$$, that is too bad for me. I will keep my limit ram memory to 256 ram. Thank you everyone for working with me to help my windows 98 computer. I appreciate it. I mention that I was only able to buy 1 stick of 128mb ram. Overtime, I will upgrade this computer just as far as it can be upgrade. I understand unless I $$$ the computer manufactor, I am stuck with 256 mb ram.

I will consider buying a new computer in the future when I graduate from school and when I have a job. I am a full time student right now. I haven't even buy my school books for this spring semester, yet. When I go out to the working world and out of the school world, I will buy the newest technology. Everybody want the newest computer but it all come down to money.