Best way to backup notebook computer

What is your recommendation on backing up notebook computer?
    Can you please share your routines? or links?

I sync everything to my ipod using nero backup

I back up everything to my 2 GB USB memory stick (which I got from staple for $20) and also to the server at my school. I use the standard backup utility built into windows because it's fast, and you could restore from any windows computer without having to install special software.

buy a external hard drive or a usb pen depending on how much you want to back up

if you have a bit off money u should invest in one off these:

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Ma...Touch%20Family

once touch off a button and it back everything up

or you can get a HD enclosure so that you can use your old internal harddrive.

Online backup but I could be biased. lol

Many threads like this already, if you search for them....

I use http://www.acronis.com and a couple of external drives...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    I use http://www.acronis.com and a couple of external drives...
    That's the way to do it

I dont understand, Why would you back up one hard drive to another hard drive? To me this doesnt make a bit of sense. Each hard drive is just as likely to crash on you. Use something Sure like a memory stick, or better yet, Burn all of your content to DVDs. Ever had a DVD crash on you? Not if you'r dvd drive works. I'd have to go crazy before I backed up a hard drive to another hard drive.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

The odds of two hard drives crashing at the same time are small. I can see a memory stick getting zapped. Can you get one of those in 10Gb?

DVDs are good ideas but each DVD costs money but you can continuously backup to a hard drive every day at no additional cost. Just like tape drives were used in days of old.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    The odds of two hard drives crashing at the same time are small. I can see a memory stick getting zapped. Can you get one of those in 10Gb?

DVDs are good ideas but each DVD costs money but you can continuously backup to a hard drive every day at no additional cost. Just like tape drives were used in days of old.
    Exactly - who needs hundreds of DVD's lying around the place.
    Acronis and an external hard drive has got me out of trouble on several occasions - restore and away to go as though nothing had happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdoubt
    I dont understand, Why would you back up one hard drive to another hard drive? To me this doesnt make a bit of sense. Each hard drive is just as likely to crash on you. Use something Sure like a memory stick, or better yet, Burn all of your content to DVDs. Ever had a DVD crash on you? Not if you'r dvd drive works. I'd have to go crazy before I backed up a hard drive to another hard drive.
    Search my username and backup (or acronis) and you will see my backup plan. But basically, I use several hard drives. As others pointed it, there is a very slim chance of two drives going out at the same time. Possible? Yes. Probable? No. But that is why I use more than one backup hard drive.

The other reason I do not use DVDs... well, I'm pushing upwards of 100 GBs of data. Even after backup compression, I’m looking at 60 to 80 GBs of data (can't remember the exact number). Let me see, a DVD can hold what 8.5 GB of data, max. Although, I would be you are talking about the cheap ones at 4.5 GB of data.

edit: out of my smart-a** mode.... yea, if backing up to memory stick or DVD works for you, then go for it. My guess is not many people backup, so bravo to you. Just remember that many people have different needs, we all do things different. I've not seen one person or company have the same exact backup plan yet. Some do it in the morning, some at night, some during lunch, some not at all (yes, not at all is a plan, plan for disaster!).
    Last edited by hekwu; 01-10-2007 at 03:12 PM.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Although it is very unlikely that both the hard drives will crash at the same time it is possible.

In florida where I live we need to worry about Hurricanes others may need to worry about floods, fires, theft and other natural disasters.

If all your hard drives or DVDs are in the same place none of those will protect your data.

The only solution is online backup. It is cheaper than buying the drives, dvds, programs, etc..

This is not a sales pitch but useful info. Hope this helps.

backup your computer hard drive image through norton ghost to second hard drive using network or USB hard drives.