where do u report bad hosts?

HI guys

Great forum.

This is my first post here and I'm having a nightmare with a host I need help with.

Where do you report bad hosts...is there like a hosting association that exists?

I'd prefer not to mention their name (they're actually one of the advertisers on here) because I think the director of the hosting company is a slice short of a pizza and has an incredible sense of selective memory that's bordering on the unbelievable.

I'm worried that if I mention the company name I'll get more threatening phone calls. I've tried to be patient with them, but, I'm at a loss how to break free from them and would appreciate any help or tips

cheers

Dub

How specifically are you tied to them?

SH

Hi Dub,

If you've had a really bad experience, the best thing to do is to lookup 'web hosting reviews' on Google, and post the story on every site you find. Unfortunately, there is no one place to go that monitors the whole industry.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Try the Better Business Bureau as well.

thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedHost
    How specifically are you tied to them?

SH
    they've locked my main domain so I can't transfer it.

Without going into nitty gritty, I had so many problems with them they offered free hosting for a year. Stupidly, I accepted it. more problems upon more problems followed and I raised an issue on their support thing...only to suddenly get an account terminated email and my domain locked.

That appears to be standard procedure with them..at least that's my experience with them i.e. raise a support ticket...get abuse.

I can live without the domain they have locked, but, I would prefer to report them to an authority if possible. I lost one of my main clients because of the problems I had with them at the outset and am seriously racked off with them.

The only logical conclusion I have come to is that they were trying to have some sort of good support ticket resolution stat and simply freaked out whenever anyone raised a ticket.

I had support tickets with them that hadn't been resolved for months - yet they have "closed" the ticket. If I reopened the ticket..I got abuse. The ticket was closed and the problems continued. It came to the stage where I was afraid to open a ticket. Seriously.

I've emailed about a few pals on the off chance that my support tickets were simply stupid questions or tickets that shouldn't have been raised in the first place

..all concurred that I should exit stage left as quickly as possible.

Tomorrow is a new day and a new year and I've since found a superb,, helpful and friendly host - where everything works and I don't get abuse when I raise a support ticket. So half of me is saying move on and forget about it, put it down to a bad decision on my part to accept their free hosting for a year. The other half is saying that they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    Try the Better Business Bureau as well.
    good idea. I spotted that a while back. Thanks Mr. Radic. good call.

Good Luck and sorry to hear about story.

Mike

If you paid for the domain you have every right to move it. Get ahold of ICANN, tell them they refuse to unlock your domain (if you own it).

Good luck, sorry to hear about your woes.
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

There are several web hosting review sites out there that allow you to post reviews of the companies you've been with.

One that comes to mind is webhostingjury.com
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

The best spot is right here on WHT as many people visit this place and if they are doing fraud, ect and you get listed around here it can lead to bad things like lost sales and being known as a fraudster…

Also since they are a member here they may even just give up and give you want you want as other host will challenge the way they are doing business like holding domains as hostage.
    Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

I think outing their name on here is the best way to apply pressure and to also help stop this type of action.

If you're the rightful owner of the domain, they shouldn't be able to override your ownership privileges, so you should be able to transfer it. If they registered it for you, it is possible that they actually own the domain as well, in which case, you're out of luck unfortunately.

SH
    SpeedHost.Com - WebHosting That Pays (Since 1998)
    AIM ([email protected]) | ICQ (464246529) | MSN ([email protected]) | Yahoo (speedhostcom)

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    If you paid for the domain you have every right to move it. Get ahold of ICANN, tell them they refuse to unlock your domain (if you own it).
    I agree with this. Have you looked over there TOS (terms of service) regarding domain name transfers?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

do a whois on the domain and check whose name is on it, if it is yours you have every right to move it to another provider, as said above contact icann and they will do it for you (i think)

good luck and the best thing to do about shaming them is post it here on WHT, another one is namepros.com and webhosting.info

cheers

As long as it is an actual complain then post it here and people will back you. However if your complaining about something you know nothing (i.e. saying 1+1 = 3) then it won't make you look very good.

So make sure your right, and post away.