Thread: Trademark

Trademark

Looking to start a business as a result im looking into filing a US trademark .

Having looked online via USPTO my chosen business name is available.

My question is have anyone here tried to file trademarks before ?

I know there are hundreds of trademark filing companies available aswell as being able to file direct online using the USPTO website.

I would like to know whether anyone has tried to file direct and what tips. pitfalls I should watch for etc. As filing direct cuts out the legal fees of middlemen

alternatively If you have used a company to file in the past please provide your tips, recommendations etc

thanks

So are you trying to tell us that you're registering a trademark before you've set up your business?
    SupportPal - Smart self-hosted help desk software
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    LicensePal - Discounted popular web hosting software licenses
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!

We used LegalZoom and have no regrets. Everything was smooth, simple, and straightforward. I recommend using them and paying a little bit extra so that you don't screw anything up on your application. If it's rejected, your filing fee is not refunded, so get it done right the first time.

Jay yes im telling you that im going to register a trademark prior to starting the business. Whats so hard to understand.

Only an idiot would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars entering a business without protecting themselves first.

Quote Originally Posted by freshjada
    Only an idiot would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars entering a business without protecting themselves first.
    Actually, I know quite a few people who started their business before acquiring the trademark for its name.

Jay yes im telling you that im going to register a trademark prior to starting the business. Whats so hard to understand.

If you you are going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in startup costs I would suggest getting a trademark lawyer instead of trying to save a few bucks by doing it yourself. It is a complex and lengthy process and can take from one to several years depending on it's complexity ...and if there are any challenges.

IANAL - but Lpal-Jay's comment was based on usage of the mark. It is easier, and more usual, to get a trademark on an existing product or service, as usage strengthens your case and your rights to that name. I would suggest registering the business name & incorporating in the US first (it can take less than a week) and then apply for the trademark.
    Last edited by Techno; 12-31-2006 at 04:46 PM.

My question is have anyone here tried to file trademarks before ?
    I have fully registered trademarks for Dotable, and our mascot. It was a long process, and I went through a trademark law firm (trademarkworks.com.au) and they handled all the paperwork. I just kept sending them money. It cost more, but the job was done right, and there's no room for error in the trademark world.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!