Anyone Need a Network Architect?

With the pending layoffs at WorldCom, I am concerned about my job security . If you are in need of someone with a lot of high end data center experience, I would love to talk to you.

Since I know how WHT can be sometimes, I am going to be upfront and say that I won't work for less than $70,000. That may seem like a lot, but I bring a lot of skills and industry contacts with that price. The products I helped create for WorldCom bring in at least 10 times that amount each year -- so it is arguable that I am worth the price.

I have three different resumes depending on your needs (all in PDF format):

DNS and Web Services Engineering:
    http://www.allan.org/resume/Liska_Resume_DNS_Web.PDF

Network Architect:
    http://www.allan.org/resume/Liska_Resume_NA.PDF

Security Administrator:
    http://www.allan.org/resume/Liska_Resume_Security.PDF

Please feel free to e-mail me if you would like to find out more information, or want to discuss an opportunity.
    Last edited by allan; 07-06-2002 at 01:29 PM.

Good luck, sucks working for dirty executives eh?

You might want to check out DICE, http://www.dice.com - might have better luck.

Originally posted by clockwork
    Good luck, sucks working for dirty executives eh?

You might want to check out DICE, http://www.dice.com - might have better luck.
    Yup...actually, I have found job boards to be ineffective as well. Too many people applying for too few positions. So, I am concentrating on networking with the people I know, to see if they know of any openings...so far that has been a lot more effective than anything on Mondster/Washingtonjobs/etc .

Re: Anyone Need a Network Achitect?

Originally posted by uuallan
    With the pending layoffs at WorldCom, I am concerned about my job security . If you are in need of someone with a lot of high end data center experience, I would love to talk to you.

Since I know how WHT can be sometimes, I am going to be upfront and say that I won't work for less than $70,000. That may seem like a lot, but I bring a lot of skills and industry contacts with that price. The products I helped create for WorldCom bring in at least 10 times that amount each year -- so it is arguable that I am worth the price.

I have three different resumes depending on your needs (all in PDF format):

DNS and Web Services Engineering:
    http://www.allan.org/resume/Liska_Resume_DNS_Web.PDF

Network Achitect:
    http://www.allan.org/resume/Liska_Resume_NA.PDF

Security Administrator:
    http://www.allan.org/resume/Liska_Resume_Security.PDF

Please feel free to e-mail me if you would like to find out more information, or want to discuss an opportunity.

Based on what I have seen... it's no longer how good you are; but who you know (networking). We used to do work with WorldCom and Qwest and UUNET. No me personally but a company I worked for prev.

We used to re-sale WorldCom's telephone services along with Sprint stuff.

I have and still have friends/co-workers that they have been out of jobs for over 8 months or so now. Freelancing is bad, sub-contracting is bad... bend-over-backwards for work and to please customers.

Good luck and make sure you don't give up and be persistent. And by the way. People that were making 50, 60k a year they now willing to work for 30, 40k a year. I doubt people can demand 60, 70k like they were paid before, not with this economy.

Re: Re: Anyone Need a Network Achitect?

Originally posted by EnigmaBiz

Good luck and make sure you don't give up and be persistent. And by the way. People that were making 50, 60k a year they now willing to work for 30, 40k a year. I doubt people can demand 60, 70k like they were paid before, not with this economy.
    Actually, that has not been a problem yet. The places I interviewed at (all gotten through friends/associates) have not had a problem with the $70k salary. Maybe because most of the places I have interviewed with are doing government contracting...and there is still a lot of money there . There is no point in taking a job that will not cover all of the bills if there are jobs that will.

EnigmaBiz: You are 100% correct on all points. Thanks to all the layoffs, programmers, DBA's and engineers are a dime a dozen these days and employers are on a bargain-hunting spree. Buyer's market, sad to say.

Re: Re: Re: Anyone Need a Network Achitect?

most of the places I have interviewed with are doing government contracting
    Just be sure they actually have a contract when they hire you. The game here is that a company ramps up staff to demonstrate to DoD or whomever that they're up to the task, then they aren't awarded the contract and have to lay off everyone they hired.

This has happened more than once to more than one person I know.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Need a Network Achitect?

Originally posted by alchiba

Just be sure they actually have a contract when they hire you. The game here is that a company ramps up staff to demonstrate to DoD or whomever that they're up to the task, then they aren't awarded the contract and have to lay off everyone they hired.
    Yea, my dad was in the mechanical contracting business for about 20 years. Around here you cannot help but pick up government work, and he told me some stories about some of his competitors that would do that.

That's why I won't interview with a company that I have not heard of, or who hasn't been referred to me by a friend (I know, I know, I shouldn't be so picky with unemployment being where it is -- but I don't want to start a job with a company I have no faith in).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Need a Network Achitect?

Yea, my dad was in the mechanical contracting business for about 20 years. Around here you cannot help but pick up government work, and he told me some stories about some of his competitors that would do that.

That's why I won't interview with a company that I have not heard of, or who hasn't been referred to me by a friend (I know, I know, I shouldn't be so picky with unemployment being where it is -- but I don't want to start a job with a company I have no faith in).
    Well I had fun working prev. company. Free food every other day, free desert, kick-back. Lots of overtime though no pay due to salary.

Bad management, company never herd of. 1 year later were baught out by someone else.

The IT industtry is the same as the webhosting industry. There are tons of people who can program and design, but how many people are actually suppose to be in this business? If you can advertise your skills that you have properly, and if you are REALLY skilled, then you shouldn't worry about your job. I doubt WorldCom will fire their best DNS administrators, or network administrators. They'll leave the most important people.

There are a ton of IT people these days, but how many of them are REALLY suppose to be here?

Originally posted by Shyne
    I doubt WorldCom will fire their best DNS administrators, or network administrators. They'll leave the most important people.
    Its not that simple, there is more than just "who is the best" involved, there are a lot of other considerations. If the hosting group is overstaffed, then groups considered redundant can be let go...and it doesn't matter how good you are, it does not change the fact that your group is redundant.

Thanks to all the layoffs, programmers, DBA's and engineers are a dime a dozen these days and employers are on a bargain-hunting spree
    But good and effective engineers are very hard to find and I think Allan's price is a steal (I have chatted with him on several occasions and read many of he publish articles).
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Thanks Mike!! I am embarassed because I just realized that I mispelled architect . Now it is corrected.