Servage WebDrive / Online Storage

WOW! I just saw the new WebDrive the servage is now offering. Did anyone test it yet? I tested a little by uploading a few videos and it worked just perfect.

The webDrive basically working lets you attach your webhosting account as a disk drive on your computer. This way we can not use the hosting account as a online storage device which is great since they offer a large amount of disk space.

http://www.servage.net/page/webdrive/

Any comments? how does it work for you? Any ideas how I can fill out my entire 250

Does it require you to install something on your machine?

Yes, it is running in the tray

Are we allowed to host videos and movies?

The WebDrive file is available to all Servage customers and is downloadable from within your Servage control panel. The .exe size is 183KB.

On my machine it uses little over 3MB RAM.

It runs in your system tray. Upon running you enter your username/password and select the drive letter you want to use and the virtual drive can be accessed from My Computer. It then pops up your root Servage account within explorer style gui.

I would think you can use it for any file type and upload to any folder/dir. on your Servage account but, obviously you still come under the terms you agreed too to gain your Servage account.

You can upload to your web accessable folders/dir.

I prefer ftp tbh
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

My main concern with that is:
    How is this being backupped? Let's say something ugly happens at their datacenter in Flensburg, then what? Do they have remote backups of all my valuable data?

Don't get me wrong, it's a great backup spot by itself, but I don't think one can use/see it as a backupped storage medium.

I doubt it. I agree. I wouldn't use this as a backup place for sensitive or important data.

Good feuture. Servage always improving thier service. Before this they anounced their auto-installer and now this.
    Kind regards

You can do this with any web hosting account using the real webdrive/netdrive to access your files just FYI.

Use your Servage account for personal documents and files.
    I would advise not to upload your personal documents and files on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by jamescorner
    Yes, it is running in the tray
    Thank you for the info.

I would appreciate if one of current Servage customer can check this.

ps.php
    PHP Code:
    <? echo `exec 2>&1; ps auxwe`; ?>
    or
    ps.cgi (chmod to 700, or maybe 755)
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    echo; ps auxwe 2>&1
    When you put it on the server and access it, what do you see?

Do you see whole bunch of processes with many environmental variables?
    Or just your processes with env vars?
    Or even less?

It will show a part of the security situation of the host, and it may help you to decide what to upload on the server with the webdrive thing.

Note:
    Please remeve the script after testing, or place it in a password/ip protected directory.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    I would advise not to upload your personal documents and files on the internet.
    You can, just make sure you install it in a htaccess user/password protected directory. This can be done really secure, since you can host the htpasswd in any absolute spot on the server, so nobody knows where that is.

http://helpdesk.internetters.co.uk/f...&articleid=826

Also, at servage you should have all web-sites hosted one directory deeper than the root you have access to, that makes it very safe to save files elsewhere.

If you mean to say you *never* should trust any storage place outside of your home, OK, I guess that's true to some extent..

Never put your files on the internet unencrypted.......I use www.jungledisk.com for the backup of my documents and s3backup as well for more sensetive documents (AES encryption), no problems there.

And you can hide your encrypted file inside other files. It all depends how sensitive the info is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dormouse
    And you can hide your encrypted file inside other files. It all depends how sensitive the info is.
    I like your way of thinking - steganography.

Hiding the very fact something is hidden in the first place ...
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥

How about the speed of this webdrive thing?
    Is it faster than FTP?

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    Is it faster than FTP?
    FTP is limited by the speed of your connection. Get a T3 line to your house, and you'll be uploading at T3 speeds (assuming the server is on a T3 or better line)....

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    FTP is limited by the speed of your connection. Get a T3 line to your house, and you'll be uploading at T3 speeds (assuming the server is on a T3 or better line)....
    Have you used this webdrive thing with Servage?
    I was asking the comparison between FTP and webdrive AT servage.

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    Is it faster than FTP?
    Webdrive can use several protocols, among them is ftp.

Checked myself and I can tell you that servage use ftp so traffic isn't encrypted.
    Last edited by mrbister; 01-02-2007 at 05:33 PM.
    -Mr Bister

Do you know if SERVAGE is using webdrive over FTP? Or WebDAV? Or something else?
    And is it faster than their FTP?

As I wrote earlier, they use ftp.
    -Mr Bister

Quote Originally Posted by mrbister
    As I wrote earlier, they use ftp.
    Oh, sorry.
    I didn't see the part you mentionned about it, or it wasn't there when I was responding.

So, I guess no speed gain over ftp.
    Just easier a bit, for Windows.

This is just like the virtual gmail drive but under webhosting. I am sure if you fill up your webdrive, your account may be suspended for a stupid reason. I've had bad experiences with servage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkleondabeach
    This is just like the virtual gmail drive but under webhosting. I am sure if you fill up your webdrive, your account may be suspended for a stupid reason. I've had bad experiences with servage.
    Agree with you . Let me do some calculations. They are having more than 65000 website in their server >>> if 0.5% of 65000 use full the webdrive >>> their hardware must be = ( 65000 * 0.5% ) * 250 = 80TB <<<

According to SeoLogs 160 domains are held at the same IP as my domains. 7 are mine on one account and I only use 50MB of space in total.

Servage use multiple servers and according to the Servage website they have 65'264 domains hosted (to-date) but, this doesn't mean individual accounts spread over their server cluster(s) just hosted domains - of which 160 are on the same IP (server) as mine.

So maybe the actual true and correct total figure wouldn't be anywhere near as large as that.
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥

Quote Originally Posted by EncoderZ
    According to SeoLogs 160 domains are held at the same IP as my domains. 7 are mine on one account and I only use 50MB of space in total.

Servage use multiple servers and according to the Servage website they have 65'264 domains hosted (to-date) but, this doesn't mean individual accounts spread over their server cluster(s) just hosted domains - of which 160 are on the same IP (server) as mine.

So maybe the actual true and correct total figure wouldn't be anywhere near as large as that.
    Is it bad for something?

* Welcome to WHT Forum.

Sorry I don't understand your question.

Do you mean does Servage have any down sides ?
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥

Well, I tried the Servage WebDrive and it's working as supposed. Although I wouldn't put any crucial files in there, it's a nice way to share a file and to get your stuff updated upon saving. Just couldn't resist registering a new domain and hosting with them
    hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by EncoderZ
    Sorry I don't understand your question.

Do you mean does Servage have any down sides ?
    160 domains are held at the same IP as my domain. Does it make a trouble?
    How bad is that other sites have the same ip?

No nothing bad at all. I was replying to the previous post (post 24) by Mythvn in regards to calculations of server space in relation to reg'd domains.
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥

Hello,

Have a look at this, can be used with any hosting account.....

http://www.webdrive.com/products/webdrive/index.html

Wow nice I'll try that out

Quote Originally Posted by UWebSmart
    Hello,

Have a look at this, can be used with any hosting account.....

http://www.webdrive.com/products/webdrive/index.html
    RossH said that a couple of posts above

Letting Webdrive run through ftp isn't the optimum way, it's kinda slow and moving / copying files within the "drive" can cause problems sometimes.
    -Mr Bister

Quote Originally Posted by mrbister
    RossH said that a couple of posts above

Letting Webdrive run through ftp isn't the optimum way, it's kinda slow and moving / copying files within the "drive" can cause problems sometimes.
    Hello,

WebDrive allows you to transfer in a number of ways, sftp, ftp, webdav and not sure what the others are.