How Much can a RaQ Handle

I've had a RaQ 4i from Rachshack for sometime now and generally, the usage is about 25-30,000 pages per day. The Raq handles these ver gracefully. At times, when we have some good article posted, the pageviews go upto 90,000 per day and that doesnt seem to cause any problems either.

A couple of days ago, I posted an article and the response was tremendous. About 12-15,000 page views per hour. Unfortunately, the RaQ couldn't handle and had to be rebooted. Once it came back up, the visitors came back as well and again, a few hours later, it had to be rebooted. This happened a third time as well.

Pages are mostly static, except for the banner ad which is through a php script (phpAdsNew.) I also have vBulletin running, which again runs on php. Before the server dies, I get error messages from vB that say something like "Too many connections"

I wanted to know the limitations of php on a raq and was wondering if anyone has faced them before. Also, how do I check my error log files? Where are they located? Maybe they will give me some idea.

CPU and memory usage isn't high as I monitor the server on and off and it remoprts them as "lightly loaded" all the time.

Thanks
    Abbas

You said the load wasn't high during this so I'm guessing it is a memory issue, (not sure how much is installed now?). You can also seach for some mysql optimization threads for the forum, and for the banner rotator. Both of these running might be a bit much for the RaQ.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I run a vbulleting on a raq3 that handles 3 million requests per month, and i havn't run into any problems.

The 'too many connections' error vBulleting gives you is a mySql error if it's something like "Connection Failed - too many connections". You can increase the the max allowed connections - http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/o/Too_many_connections.html .

And what logs do you want? apache errors are in /var/log/httpd

Thanks!
    Where can I modify the mysql setting to allow more connections? I mean, is there a config file for mysql? If yes, where is it located. Also, what number shall I set the maximum connections to? I mean is there one thats too high for it? Thanks!

Secondly, I checked the error log on my server and below are some of the entries that I found confusing and that happened before the RaQ required the reboot. Cany anyone help me understanding them?

[Fri Feb 1 04:05:46 2002] [warn] child process 14024 did not exit, sending another SIGHUP
    [Fri Feb 1 04:05:48 2002] [warn] child process 6147 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
    [Fri Feb 1 04:05:52 2002] [notice] SIGHUP received. Attempting to restart
    FATAL: erealloc(): Unable to allocate 245760 bytes
    FATAL: emalloc(): Unable to allocate 12 bytes
    [Fri Feb 1 17:51:02 2002] [error] (32)Broken pipe: accept: (client socket)
    [Fri Feb 1 18:00:04 2002] [notice] child pid 1432 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

Thanks
    Abbas

Nobody??

-Abbas

Did you find out what those entried mean? I just found the same entries in my logs and don't understand them.

thanks

-dr