Looking for speed...

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and hopefully you'll help me.
    I want to deliver large file (4GB each) movies to europe, US and Japan. It has to run very fast, at least 1Mbps at all peak times.
    The storage/bandwith ratio has to be 1/4, thus, for every 4GB movie that is stored I need 12GB bandwith download/month.
    I was looking at cachefly.com (I know it's a CDN), their speed is good but the storage doesn't fit.
    Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Joel

Imo get a server in europe and one in the US, and then send the people to the server which is best for them, that'll be much better since even the largest US providers are slow to europe...
    || Semi-professional PHP developer || Exams right now, don't I just feel lucky? ||

which in US and Europe?

Can you give me names for US and Europe?
    Will it be able to transfer 1Mbps at peak?
    Let say that my server is in Amsterdam, how fast can it transfer to Paris at 9pm?
    Is there any way to test that?

Thanks.

It all depends on how many users you have online at the time lol... But yes, you can get dedicated 100Mbps ports to your server, and then let the users max out everything they want...

Before i give you names, this is for streaming, right? And not for downloading?
    || Semi-professional PHP developer || Exams right now, don't I just feel lucky? ||

Most major European providers will be able to handle that (concurrent) speed. One dedicated provider I'm using in Germany seldom go below 2MB/s per session to Sweden.
    -Mr Bister

For downloading!

What do you do when there's too many users on the server? Is there a system that detects heavy use and switches users too another server?

Thanks.

no, I've not setup any load balancing.
    -Mr Bister

Give me names guys, names! spill it :-)

Leaseweb is chosed by many people, they have flexible bandwidth options also.
    www.leaseweb.com

They're located in Amsterdam.

I forgot to tell you that the ones I've been using are in german language so some skills in that language are reguired. Sorry for not mentioning that. PM me if you still want info.
    -Mr Bister

Thanks guys,

Jeppe, looking to hear from you too.

thanks

Mr Bister,

I do not have sufficient privileges to PM yet

Looking for speed...
    His name is Jose - he'll be at the corner of Main and 9th at 3pm.

Hey Joel, sry for the wait, had to help someone else first

Do you have any ideas towards what kind of specs you're looking for, and what budget you have?

Thanks for the reply,

I'm looking for speedy downloads (no streaming)
    start with 400GB storage/2000GB transfer for each server (one in US, one EU)
    with all the "juice": RAM, backup, cPanel....

each plan has to be under $400 and....very fast!

From what I understand, the best way to deliver in the US is to use a server in the middle, let say in Texas. Same in EU.

Every bit of info will help

Thanks,
    Joel

softlayer or the planet/ev1 for the US based server... For the EU server you'll have to wait for my answer until tomorrow, since i need to do some more reseach on that, i can't remember the best connected hosts in eu atm...

thanks Jeppe

whats "private bandwidth"?

How's uk2.net for Europe?
    Anyone tried them?

whats "private bandwidth"?
    Probably a reference to bandwidth transferred locally (if you have two servers in the same datacenter, transferring between them would be free).

Leaseweb in Netherlands have a pretty good backbone connection. Browse them for more information. Their network info is located here: http://www.leaseweb.com/index.php?p=network

Speed test:
    http://test.leaseweb.com/
    Last edited by mrbister; 12-31-2006 at 08:37 AM.
    -Mr Bister

Thanks Mr Bister,

It looks like it's gonna be softlayer for the US and leaseweb for the EU.
    Any recommendation on Japan?

Joel

one more thing, Server Managers...what do they do?

They configure software for you, make sure you don't get hacked, etc.

leaseweb gives great connections to europe, imo thats a very nice company, and from threads here on the forums, they seem to have good support as well...

As for japan/asia, i'm not really sure if you'd need that just yet? most websites don't have more than 5-10% visitors which would benefit from good connections to asia. However, if you still feel like you need one there, look into Hong Kong servers or malaysian servers (drop by www.webhostingtalk.com.my for some reading on .my server companies )

But so far, softlayer and leaseweb should suit your needs very good And sorry for the delay, didnt get the chance to get online before now since new year had me busy (was hosting a small party etc )

Thanks guys,

What about uploads?
    How fast will my clients be able to upload files to the server?

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by joelblueyes
    Thanks guys,

What about uploads?
    How fast will my clients be able to upload files to the server?

Joel
    generally that depends on your upload method... and even more on their connection to the server... There's way too many factors to really give a good estimate of that without more info...

I would check Steadfast.net

I use them because of their network speed, latency, consistency. Very good network with great bandwidth and very easy to push as much as you need.
    Linux junkie | steward.io