You're thoughts on CCTV around the home....

I woke up this morning and every car on my street had their drivers wing mirror smashed or bent in towards the window....

Whats this word coming too when people(s) can be so careless and wreckless. ok I would proberly find it very slightly funny to do it to your best mates car or somthing but to do it to every car on the street...well how stupid.

Just wondered what your thoughts were on CCTV around the home. I'm considering on getting a kit and installing it near my drive now to keep a watch out on the drive and the surround road near were i live.

excellent idea. there are lots of ways to do this and to even be able to view it online remotely.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Stephens
    excellent idea. there are lots of ways to do this and to even be able to view it online remotely.
    I agree. There definetly aren't any cons to this idea. I've never heard of being able to view residential CCTV feeds online remotely - but that seems rather interesting. It would be great to be able to keep an eye on your home why you are away.

Yeah I've done the same recently, I have the camera but need to set it up and fix it to the wall to watch the cars..
    shouldn't have to come to this but I'm afraid it does

I'm sitting in Florida and can check out our driveway back home from here. It's not too advanced though, basically just a cheapy wifi web cam I have stuck up. No movement or recording so it relies on me checking in every now and then, but there are plenty of more expensive things you could try. Just make sure it only points at yours (or public) property.
    Steve

We have 7 camera's around this house all go to a 24hr video recorder and are activated upon movment. Also any breach of the alarm system activates the recorder + automatically calls through the police. I think its a bit extreme for a personal home but thats what the people who built it put in!

Having extra security is never a bad idea, makes you sleep better at night
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

We actually have been utilizing this around our house for the last 2 years. We have 5 cameras outside of our house and 4 inside of the house. It has been great for catching people who think its fun to toilet paper my house.

We also have x10 systems setup in the house which allows us to control lighting and such from a remote location.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    I'm sitting in Florida and can check out our driveway back home from here. It's not too advanced though, basically just a cheapy wifi web cam I have stuck up. No movement or recording so it relies on me checking in every now and then, but there are plenty of more expensive things you could try. Just make sure it only points at yours (or public) property.
    Download a program called WebcamXP its perfect for that, easy to setup to record on movement

Also you can try Active Webcam. That is the software we use. Extremely feature rich.

I thought this was going to be a topic about Closed Captioned TV for the hard of hearing. I was thinking "Who would be against that??"

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    I thought this was going to be a topic about Closed Captioned TV for the hard of hearing. I was thinking "Who would be against that??"

--Tina
    Haha yes exactly what I was thinking too. I read the ops post and was wondering what was going on.

Haha...obviously I had fun last night.
    Christian Koehler
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting
    +1.866.5RACKED (ext. 802)

This happened a few times in 'the valley' (Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley). Some people take protecting themselves to an extreme, but maybe I am being paranoid - you can never be too safe. Afterall, it boils down to proof in the courtroom and having that proof will ultimately protect you.

We have thought about adding something actually like this to watch when we are out of town. They have some interesting system and a lot are very affordable

We have a monitoring system at our house. My dad got it for us as a housewarming gift when we moved in. I'm sure he didn't pay more than $200 for it, but its pretty cool. There's 2 wireless cameras (one out by our pool and one by our front door) and the monitor sits on my night table by my bed. It flips back and forth between the two cameras and, if I wanted, I could even hear what's going on. There's also an option to hook up a recorder to it.

The only interesting thing I've ever seen is ducks by the pool...and unwanted guests that I don't bother answering the door for.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by RHChristian
    Haha yes exactly what I was thinking too. I read the ops post and was wondering what was going on.

Haha...obviously I had fun last night.
    lol wondered who the culprit was

thanks for all your responses peeps much appriciated.

I will have to do my reasearch behind whats legal and whats not with camera setups then think about purcheasing a nice kit thats going to last a while

hopefully will look at somthing thats wireless, that way it will save me drilling holes through walls and worring about wires. and ill be able to have them anywhere around the home hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesc
    We have 7 camera's around this house all go to a 24hr video recorder and are activated upon movment. Also any breach of the alarm system activates the recorder + automatically calls through the police. I think its a bit extreme for a personal home but thats what the people who built it put in!
    Yes, that kind of system is on my shopping list too. We already have the internal alarm system, but just need the CCTV cameras outside. I'll get to that in the next 6mths or so.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Hesham
    Having extra security is never a bad idea, makes you sleep better at night
    I fully agree..
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

I just use a wireless webcam it can be viewed online. Only thing is it has to be indoors i cant find one thats weatherproof.

All we have to save us are 2 gaurds in our condo .
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

I am possibly looking a a solution for this problem too. Had our work van broken into about a month ago... they cleaned it out, made a huge mess of everything inside.

You can get wireless indoor/outdoor security cameras for a couple hundred bucks. This is something i may be looking into, as I would want it set up to a recorder. Thus if anything happens again, i'll keep the recorded video as proof. If you want to set it up outdoors, make sure to get a decent enclosure for it, or atleast keep the camera covered out of the elements. Another thing you can do, is set up an indoor webcam (wireless or not) in a window facing your driveway/yard. That's the easiest and least expensive solution.

I just use a wireless webcam it can be viewed online. Only thing is it has to be indoors i cant find one thats weatherproof.
    There are plenty of these on ebay. Do a search for hidden camera or security camera.

the ironic thing was about the whole incident that happened. (detailed in post 1 of this thread) is my cousin has a very large cctv setup around his home that lives a few doors down from me and he didnt have the camera(s) on at the time of the incident. which is a shame as he owns a few cars and all of his cars bar one had their wing mirrors broken. think he will have the largest bill from all the people on our street.

I find it rather uncomfortable being in someones house that has the cameras rolling.

Even if were sitting on the porch chatting or watching TV on the couch.

Damaging cars sucks! but the good old TP is just funny!
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

But would you be willing to deal with that slight discomfort if you knew that those cameras were protecting your investments? If sadly something was taken, perhaps the camera footage would allow you to catch the criminal.

Some idiot did the same thing to my vehicle about a year ago. The cops wouldn't do anything. But some idiot was bragging about doing the same at the same time that night .. at the same place, to the same vehicles ... I ended up slashing his tires and busting his windows.

You can never rely on the government to do it's job.

Pay the $500 or so to get a decent camera system. Make sure you have enough space to record for awhile and sue the bastard out of existence.
    1. Mmmmm food...

Quote Originally Posted by Shannara
    Some idiot did the same thing to my vehicle about a year ago. The cops wouldn't do anything. But some idiot was bragging about doing the same at the same time that night .. at the same place, to the same vehicles ... I ended up slashing his tires and busting his windows.

You can never rely on the government to do it's job.

Pay the $500 or so to get a decent camera system. Make sure you have enough space to record for awhile and sue the bastard out of existence.
    couldnt put it better myself....

love the revenge story there. nothing tastes better then getting revenge on somone!

The cops wouldn't do anything

cops always do nothing and when they do they get a warning or small fine. nothing for them to worrie about.

The cops wouldn't do anything

cops always do nothing and when they do they get a warning or small fine. nothing for them to worrie about.

I once had my car window broken (friend left something on display)..
    I was in the city centre, so I flagged down the Police. They took my details and dispatched a forensics team to my house next day to examine for finger prints and now have police on guard at that point during Friday/Saturday nights. A bit of an overkill in my opinion especially since insurance fixed the window for only £50 excess..
    Nevertheless, I'm happy they did so much..

Quote Originally Posted by stealthdevil
    I once had my car window broken (friend left something on display)..
    my girlfreind does that all the time leaving her purse on the seat and the thing is she never carrys much money so if my car is broken into its only for a couple of pound.

then i told her to put it in the glove box when does that she cannot get it open becuase she put to much stuff in it.

then i had to pay citroen over 50 for a new door + labour etc

girls and cars just dont go