How much tech knowledge is required?

I'm thinking about starting a host. I don't want to risk too much so I'm gonna start as a reseller.

I'm only in High School but I'm willing to commit to it. I'm not going to do this only for the cash. The main thing I'm looking to get out of it is is the experience of running a business, general knowledge about servers and to learn how to deal w/ people.

Basically I'm an intermediate webmaster. I've run multiple websites before and know how to design, advertise, ect. I know how to install CGI scripts, upload stuff, ect. but that is pretty much it.

If I got a reseller plan at MCHost or SplashHost, could I make it? I'm not talking about becoming huge, but maybe get couple dozen accounts by the time I leave high school.

As a reseller you won't be dealing with server issues directly. So yes a reseller account is great for you to start with. Also setup a linux system at your house to learn linux.

o btw I spent a couple hours today browsing all the posts this year in WHT's "How to Run a Hosting Biz". I definitely didn't read all of them (over a thousand) but I did read the important ones very carefully.

I already know some basic knowledge about the reseller biz, so I won't the mistakes of blowing all my money on a host directory or having a 20GB plan for $8.

Basically I'm an intermediate webmaster. I've run multiple websites before and know how to design, advertise, ect. I know how to install CGI scripts, upload stuff, ect. but that is pretty much it.
    Then you'll probably be able to answer most support mails.

I say: If you're willing to make some sacrifices and stay dedicated to the support of your customers, go for it. Before you go live, take some time off to learn how to use the control panel your customers will be using. It's quite important that you learn this. Some (really) strange questions will eventually come your way, and therefore you'll have to be prepared to learn along the way.

Whether you'll succeed or not... Only time will tell.

If you decide to go for it, remember: If you're having any questions/problems, ask the WHT members.
    Andreas @ DA Host
    DA Host - www.dahost.com
    Reliable Hosting Affordable Prices Superior Support

1) Focus on study! Get good marks.

2) Get your self a reseller account with a good company.

3) Install linux at home as mentioned above. Play break fix.

4) Help your customers - You need at least 8 hours a day to be average.

5) Dont offer more than you can give.

6) Dont lie to your customers.

7 and final at this time) The Customer is always right... !!!

Kind regards

Need more help or suggestions contact me..
    www.SURRENDERONLINE.com.au
    Perfect Solutions Every Time! Sydney Based :: Dedicated Servers :: Colocation :: Superior Support::Reseller Solutions

Originally posted by Choppy
    . . . . . . . . .
    6) Dont lie to your customers. . . . . . . . .
    That should be closer to number 1.
    Still, as Choppy said, you're schooling comes first.
    So, it will be difficult to put your customers first (where they should be).
    I say, if you want experience in running a company, work for one. Then when you are out of school and can devote fully to your customers, you will have a better understanding on how to manage the business as well.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    I say, if you want experience in running a company, work for one. Then when you are out of school and can devote fully to your customers, you will have a better understanding on how to manage the business as well.
    Good point
    Andreas @ DA Host
    DA Host - www.dahost.com

If you are getting a reseller account then i dont see why you would need to learn how to fix linux servers. To be a good reseller it just helps if you are an experienced end user.

Originally posted by SplashHost.com
    If you are getting a reseller account then i dont see why you would need to learn how to fix linux servers.
    But it's certainly a good starting point if you want to go dedicated at some time in the future.
    Andreas @ DA Host
    DA Host - www.dahost.com

Thanks for the tips everyone. Schooling is definitely my focus now, but I don't find academics very challanging. I take the hardest classes my school has and I get decent/good grades for less than 1.5 hours/day for HW

If I decided to go into dedicated, what would I need to know? Isn't there some host that can offer me bigger and bigger reseller plans?

Originally posted by Noodles
    Isn't there some host that can offer me bigger and bigger reseller plans?
    Sure. But you'll be paying for administration of the server. Going dedicated and doing the admin stuff yourself will save you quite a few $'s, but in return you'd probably get a few more head aches when something goes wrong.
    Andreas @ DA Host
    DA Host - www.dahost.com

I think the best way for you to go would be:
    [list=1][*]Start with the smallest and most basic reseller account.[*]Build your clients base.[*]Expand as needed (upgrade your plan, etc.)[*]Move to your own dedicated server once you have 50-100 clients.[/list=1]
    Depending on how you set your pricing and what your profit margin is, you can move to your own dedicated server with about 50-100 clients. There are reseller providers out there offering managed dedicated servers as well and if you stay with the same company, they should be able to move your clients onto the dedicated server once you're ready.
    Marc Wyss - [email protected]
    MCHost Inc - Experts in Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://www.mchost.com