Question Better performance for forum based website

Hi,

I am looking for a new server at the moment.
    I was wondering which of these configurations in each group will handle the forum based website the better way ?

1)
    Single CPU
    Intel Dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz 73 GB SCSI 2 GB RAM
    Intel XEON 3060 73 GB SCSI 2 GB RAM
    Intel Woodcrest 73 GB SCSI 2 GB RAM
    Intel Pentium D 930 73 GB SCSI 2 GB RAM
    Intel Xeon 5050 73 GB SCSI 2 GB RAM

2)
    Dual CPU
    AMD Opteron 248 73 GB SCSI 2 GB RAM
    AMD Opteron 270 73 GB SCSI 2 GB RAM

3)Intel Pentium D 930 2 GB RAM SATA HDD
    AMD Opteron 2212 2 GB RAM SATA HDD

I need to know which server will perform the best from each group and also how much better performance may i expect if i use RAID ?
    In particular will RAID SATA 2 HDD based system perform better than one HDD based SCSI system without RAID controller ?
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

There are a lot of variables there!

In terms of CPU power, the Xeon 3060 and Woodcrest are the fastest chips (depends on which Woodcrest as to which is faster), followed by the Pentium D, Xeon 5050 and Opterons which are all much the same speed, and the Xeon 2.4 trailing behind everything else.

If you only have one or two processes running at a time, the 3060 or Woodcrest would be your best bet; otherwise the dual 270 would be the winner.

But that only matters if CPU is the limiting factor for your forum. Quite likely it's something else - either memory or disk or a combination of the two.

A 2-disk RAID-0 on 7200 rpm disks might outperform a 10,000 rpm SCSI disk for your forum; in fact, I'd go so far as to state that this is likely. But it's not guaranteed.

Whatever you do, get either a 15k scsi or a few raided satas... We found that with big forums, it's normally the disk i/o which is the bottleneck, so the faster the HDD setup the better
    || Semi-professional PHP developer || Exams right now, don't I just feel lucky? ||

Quote Originally Posted by PixyMisa
    There are a lot of variables there!
    A 2-disk RAID-0 on 7200 rpm disks might outperform a 10,000 rpm SCSI disk for your forum; in fact, I'd go so far as to state that this is likely. But it's not guaranteed.
    Raid-0 will surely be fastest in terms of throuput, however, the raid does not improve access times. And that is a big advantage of 10k SCSI drives.

Accesstime is one of the most important things if you run a large database. For serving normal webfiles it doesnt matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrios
    Raid-0 will surely be fastest in terms of throuput, however, the raid does not improve access times. And that is a big advantage of 10k SCSI drives.

Accesstime is one of the most important things if you run a large database. For serving normal webfiles it doesnt matter much.
    I would second that.....scsi has really improved my forum's performance

I would go with a 4 (or 8 is what we usually run) x scsi raid 10 for the forum, it has done awesome things for some of the forums we host.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Steven can you please tell me how many online users on vBulletin (15 minutes cut) can handle such a configuration as yours ?
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

Quote Originally Posted by NameSniper
    Steven can you please tell me how many online users on vBulletin (15 minutes cut) can handle such a configuration as yours ?
    I dont know if thats a real valid example as the people have tons of mods done / bad queries etc. But on average most of the clients people have over 1500 online. But we also split into two or more servers.
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

One site, consists of a large forum and a large website. The website itself gets a more users then the forum. But the forum:

Currently Active Users: 1112 (384 members and 728 guests)
    Most users ever online was 2,542, 07-11-2006 at 07:30 PM.

2 server setup. One for mysql one for web. Running on centos.

2x
    Dual Core Dual Opteron 270
    8gb ram (overkill on ram)
    8 x 36gb 10k scsi Raid 10

Probably this info will give you a better idea..my forum is getting about 18.000 visitors a day,220-250 users online.

Can you please post your apache/mysql/php settings here ?
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

AMD Opteron 270 73 GB SCSI 2 GB RAM

Should do it no problem.

Settings need to be setup on a per server basis.

I know you use freebsd, please view the following regarding an issue myself and a few other people have experienced:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=563624
    Last edited by Steven; 12-30-2006 at 08:27 PM.

Interesting info there.
    Did you compared also single core systems and systems with redhat and other linux distributions ?
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

Interesting info there.
    Did you compared also single core systems and systems with redhat and other linux distributions ?

I personally do not think its a # of core issue. In my investigation it appears to be an issue with integration of disk controller on freebsd.

Any chance that it will be fixed in 6.2 release ?
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

Any chance that it will be fixed in 6.2 release ?

It could. Dont know for sure.

Probably this info will give you a better idea..my forum is getting about 18.000 visitors a day,220-250 users online.

Can you please post your apache/mysql/php settings here ?
    That doesn't seem like a lot of traffic relative to the hardware you're using. Powerful hardware will not always do the trick. A well tweaked forum with queries that run under 0.1 seconds is better than a powerful server with an array of SCSI drives and a powerful CPU. The hardware suggestion that Steven gave should be sufficient.
    ServerTweak Networks, LLC >> ServerTweak.com
    Experience the fastest network and superior servers, feel the power of ServerTweak!
    Fremont, CA DataCenter | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Cross Connects HE.net | 1/4 - Full Cab Sales