Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

advertising on wht hmm a little BS

Nothing against anything but i think the advertising on this forum has gone a little mad.

Ive heard of companies not being aloud to advertise do to conflicts of interest with rackshack.

I see a add today for dot 5 hosting and guess what it goes to Ev1.

Now dot 5 can be great not knocking them, but I think its pretty wrong.

Other then wizards and ppc and uber the other ads are in either rackshacks best interest or ensims.

Just not fair, i know theres alot of good companies that will never be able to advertise here, not because of there budget more because they arent aloud cause it will take business from RS or ensim

Not cool , just my thoughts
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Hmm, if true, this was exactly what was *not* supposed to happen. May just be coincidental though, as I've seen a few ads go up seemingly just today, so perhaps more are coming.
    <!-- boo! -->

Geez, you really need to learn how to spell.

So dot5hosting has one or more dedicated servers with RackShack. I don't see what the problem is. It's not like RackShack owns dot5hosting. I don't see how it's wrong, nor do I see what this has to do with Ensim.

Please provide examples of companies not being "aloud" to advertise "do" to conflicts of interest.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Originally posted by ToastyX
    Please provide examples of companies not being "aloud" to advertise "do" to conflicts of interest.
    Please do

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...5&pagenumber=2

There ya go. I've asked in e-mail twice. Once to "THE HEADSURFER" and the other time to the link at the bottom of the main page and I have yet to get a response...then I post a public message and get no response.

I agree, it does seem like rackshack wants no competition in the advertising arena...
    Life is Minimum live it Maximum.

Something else I just noticed is that DOT5HOSTING seems to have a higher weight assigned to it as it comes up more frequently than the rest.

Hi MikeA,

it may just be me but I don't get it. The URL you gave above does not prove/disprove anything. You may just be out of luck. Probably if you try to contact them more often, you will get your answer. But again, I just don't see how your case proves anything.

And Joe, I would like to know the list of hosts that are not allowed to make any advertisement here.

regards,
    -dave
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Originally posted by MikeA
    Something else I just noticed is that DOT5HOSTING seems to have a higher weight assigned to it as it comes up more frequently than the rest.
    I don't quite get that feeling. Because I am getting many different ads. Besides, what kind of benefit do you think RS is gaining from this? More customers to Dot5hosting? So what? The servers rent by Dot5 is only $149/mo probably ... not much revenue at all.

Also, if you do see many more ads for dot5, could it be that dot5 is paying for more impressions?

regards,
    -dave
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Will (of PPC for hosts) has said that he had been trying to contact and get ads up, probably for longer than you have Mike (though that might seem amazing, heh).

I'm not sure what, "it does seem like rackshack wants no competition in the advertising arena..." means exactly as Wizards is a host and Dot5 is a host (???). I doubt they'll accept everyone just because that person wants their ad up (not because they don't like you, just because it isn't possible).

As for Joe's, "Ive heard of companies not being aloud to advertise do to conflicts of interest with rackshack." -I've not heard of this, however they certainly aren't obligated to accept advertising from everyone, so I don't see what the big deal is.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

There are ads on WHT?

lol never noticed them.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

I dont think its a big deal, and to be honest The companies that ive discussed this issue with dont really feel its necessary to come forward about the issue, but i didnt think it is right.

obviously u cant except everyone, but i know of several companies that have been turned away because of conflicts.

If your a good company and willing to spend the money, I cant see why ur add wouldnt be allowed. It would be interesting to know there criteria for accepting ads.

Chicken its not a big deal like im dieing over it, but it should be fair and if one person has been turned away for competitive reasons then thats not cool
    ---------------------

Originally posted by ToastyX
    Geez, you really need to learn how to spell.
    haha yeah, i would of figured the director of sales for webreseller would atleast know which words to use..

grammar is bad too

english

I didnt know i was in english class here.

U know coming to the forum is suppost to fun, i come here and type.

I dont go into grammer im not being graded.

And my title has nothing to do with my typing im not writing a thesis for a mid term here. When im at school i can understand.

But its not really a large concern.

Also my performance at work is pretty amazing, so i dont see this being a issue
    ---------------------

In defense

I did receive advertising information quite a while back from Robert. As to other times, I have emailed him on different subjects and gotten no response. I just put it as him being quite busy and getting hundreds if not thousands of emails per day. But, I don't see a conspiracy around every corner---at least not yet.

conspiracy theory?

Hmmm first the flaming begins on about every topic.. now conspiracy theories? I think you spend a bit to much time on this site.. and a bit to much time looking at ads rather then finding information.. heh that just my take.

Originally posted by JBIZ718
    I dont think its a big deal, and to be honest The companies that ive discussed this issue with dont really feel its necessary to come forward about the issue, but i didnt think it is right. . . . . .
    You started the thread. You must think it's 'some' kinda deal. But, I think, without some more documentation that your claim is valid, it is just that; another conspiracy theory.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I'm curious, where does spelling and / or grammar even come into play when someone simply asks a question and points out a bit of curiosity?

It is an interesting observation, and quite possibily coincidental. We just don't know the facts now do we? As Mike said, he's tried over and over again to get an ad on here and has been completely ignored. Yet Incognito has received a response from them.

Maybe it's as simple as this (my theory):

They have an unpublished waiting list of folks they contact whenever an advertiser drops out or traffic increases to a certain threshhold. At this junction that contact the next folks in line and see if they are still interested, possibly setting up the ad for them and repeating the cycle. Maybe they have a certain commitment level that is promised to each advertiser, and inserting more ads without increased traffic or a drop out would put that commitment in jeopardy.

That is my assessment, may be right and may be wrong. Maybe Robert is really out to get us all, and he weighs the ads on Dot5 because the more successful they are the more servers they will lease from RS!

That's my conspiracy theory.

Any questions?
    <!-- boo! -->

We have not recieved a response either on the issue. However, being in Houston I could probably just go knock on their front door and ask. Now wouldnt that be interesting...LOL....I believe it's around 59 and S. Shepard somewhere... Right Robert?
    Last edited by Webdude; 06-26-2002 at 11:08 PM.

Originally posted by DizixCom
    . . . . . . . . .

Any questions?
    Yeh. I have a question.
    Seeings how a fly can't fly upside down; how far is he away from the ceiling before he makes that little flip so he can land there?

Jbiz - Get a life!

No company has been turned down due to a conflict of interest with Rackshack, although that would be completely within my rights.

As inquiries come in, Michelle is now handling those inquiries and has been able to add additional advertisers to the fold. ALL advertising requests are subject to my personal approval.

There is one potential advertiser that we have declined the business because he violated the rules here and was banned. There is another that was a former advertiser who we have also just decided to decline the business due to the abusive nature of emails that we recieved.

The address for advertising is [email protected] . Paypal the money, and you could be up and running. It isn't cheap, but the CPM turns out to be very low.

Just about anyone can advertise in the advertising section. There is no cost and few limitations. I believe, Joe, that Webreseller has also made use of that free advertising area.

According to a prominent research company, the total market of dedicated servers is about 60,000. Rackshack has over 6000 of those. So, there is a one in ten chance that any particular reseller that is using dedicated servers will be from Rackshack. The only company with a higher probability is Interland thanks to the Dialtone acquisition.

Lastly, there does seem to be a higher amount of Dot5 impressions. I am unsure how the software works that servers our ads but we're working through that question.

Your logic, or lack thereof, makes no sense.

Why not concentrate your efforts on selling more servers instead of griping about how Rackshack is selling a few ads to cover their investment?

There is enough new business in dedicated hosting (taking the low hanging fruit from shared hosting companies such as Interland and Earthlink AND managed hosting outfits such as Rackspace with sky high prices, advertising to grow the dedicated market, etc,) for EVERYONE, even you Joe.
    Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer

Company

Issue sent to Robert via PM
    Last edited by JBIZ718; 06-27-2002 at 12:01 AM.
    ---------------------

He owns it he can decide who he wants to sell advertising to and he charge BS prices if he wants, his business his prices don't want to pay em go elsewhere.
    Thats pretty simple, he allows you guys to advertise for free in his advertising section and you take good advantage of it.

Would you rent a server to some one you didn't want to do business with?

I doubt it.

BTW tell Robert next time you see him I am STILL waiting on ANY document what so ever showing he kept his word and refunded my money.

Well, to change the tone of the thread....are you behind on those emails? Our office told me they had emailed (though I dont know how many times or when). So figure maybe I could get some sort of answer for them..

WorldzonePro.com

If an approximate CPM of $2 to $5 to $9 is "BS" prices, you are definitely smoking something.

Rackshack has paid as much as $40 CPM over the past year for highly target advertising.

So, our prices stand where they are. If you want to buy ads, that's great. If not, that's ok too.

No one willing to pay a fair and equitable rate, other than those mentioned, have been turned away.

I find nothing outrageous or BS at asking for a minimum $600 to $1250 for a prime, limited sponsorship. Try getting that at another well established highly targeted site.

Heck, we even offered a limited number of "space available" Standard Sponsorship packages at $400 to $650.

So, I say again, get a life and go back to doing something productive in this industry other than bashing myself or Rackshack.

If WHT is so biased for Rackshack, where are Rackshack's banner ads?

Premium Sponsorship
    >
    > Large top banner with a logo and text description.
    >
    > Guaranteed 250,000 impressions per month but will receive a prorated share of all unsold banner impressions.
    >
    > Max CPM=$5. Placement of all Premium sponsorships takes priority over Standard Sponsorships.
    >
    > $1250 Monthly- Paid Monthly
    > $1100 per month - Paid Quarterly
    > $600 per month - Paid Annually
    >
    > Standard Sponsorship
    >
    > Large top banner with a logo and text description. 75,000 Impressions per month. Max CPM=$9
    >
    > $675 Monthly - Paid Monthly
    > $600 pre month - Paid Quarterly
    > $400 per month - Paid Annually
    >
    > All campaigns must be paid via Paypal in advance to [email protected] .
    > All advertising subject to approval.
    >
    > Thanks again for your inquiry. Michelle Marsh ([email protected]) will be handling advertising placement starting 6/15 when she returns from vacation.
    >
    > Webhostingtalk.com
    > Advertising Department

One former advertiser, who used to pay $550 per month, refused to signup for one of our new packages. This was the same advertiser that rather abusively emailed me about how his sales were off around 30% since his run on WHT had ended.

No one has a RIGHT to buy advertising nor do I have a RIGHT to their money. Business, as in life, is not always fair. The most successful press their advantage and grow more successful. The big get even bigger. Agreements are reached by arms length negotiations between two or more parties.

I've left WHT pretty much the way it was before I bought it with a few small changes. Unlike other web properties, WHT has a limited amount of paid advertising.

In addition to our purchase price, we've invested in full page ads in Hosting Tech to promote the WHT site and are gearing up to deploy a new multi server platform for WHT. A site free of banner or sponsorship ads from Rackshack.

If you want it, and we have available inventory, we'll discuss approving your ad. In the end, it is a negotiated transaction! Nothing more and nothing less.

Lastly, in reference to Dot 5 hosting, had I known at the time that they were a Rackshack customer, I probably would have given them a discount just to say thanks for supporting Rackshack.

Friendly competition is one thing. You've gone past that now.

Robert
    Last edited by headsurfer; 06-27-2002 at 12:42 AM.
    Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer

w00t

Way to lay it down Robert.

Nothing beats jealous accusations like logic and sense.

-davidu
    EveryDNS.NET :: FreeDNS and more.

Robert, did purchase this forum, and it is to his descretion, if he wants to sell advertising or not, and to which companies. He has the right to decline advertising to whoever he likes, it is none of anyone's business.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Yeh. I have a question.
    Seeings how a fly can't fly upside down; how far is he away from the ceiling before he makes that little flip so he can land there?
    Drum roll please! Many more questions remain, such as how insects use these mechanisms to steer or, like flies, land upside down. For example, Dickinson suspects that insects maneuver by changing the point in the stroke at which they begin to rotate their wings.
    Research available here: http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r...6-15-1999.html

<!-- boo! -->

You're just too quick for me, Scott.

Headsurfer

I could give a rats ass what the prices are, my beef is that I have asked twice without getting an answer. Then I posted publically about it and didn't get an answer. Then in this thread is where someone from rackshack decided to answer. That concerns me. That makes me feel like when the competition comes a nocking...no one answers. BUT I could be wrong. I'm sure if I sent one e-mail to hostsearch that I would get a response in the same day...or at least within 24 hours. People always are ready to take your money. I just sent a 3rd request for pricing. We will see what happens.

I agree that originally I thought you would run things in the Matt method and not plaster Rackshack all over the place and I've been pleasently surprised in the fact that you have (not plastered rackshack everywhere). In fact, except for maybe two small spots and the people talking about it, no where does it even mention Rackshack. Nor have I seen posts get deleted who were direct competition with rackshack, so I think that the forums REPEAT forums may be intact as Matt left them.

I do find it odd that out of 10 clicks your DOT hosting company banner add shows up 4 times, thats almost every other click. But then again, it is your forums.

Mike, as I said, do you think Will (PPC for hosts) just thought it would be a nice idea to advertise, sent in one email last week sometime, and now this week his ad is up?

In other words, if you're taking personal offense to this, don't.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Humm ..

noncense thread is what I see here, the man bought it, the man runs it as he pleases, nobody here pays a membership fee, so why do people think they have the right to anything ?

And MikeA .. this was not directed at you bud

As for advertising on WHT .. the rate per CPM is quite good, the problem is the clients comign from WHT is quite CHEAP, everybody these days seem to what the world for a penny and then we all wonder how come companies cannot post profits ..

ho well
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

Being fairly nuetral on it myself, yes he bought it and had every right to do so. Yes he can run it how he wants, but most here are forgetting just how he wants to run it. He's not some little nobody who doesnt care who is disgruntled at him. He is a person who has built a successful business that many here are jelous of, and he would much prefer these forums go the same route in that business.....not become the bitchboard that it has become.

At first I was a bit irrated that another host bought WHT, it was natural to be so....but I got over it. So far, I havent seen any of the complaining solve any issues, and they are typically complaints about small things blown to big proportions. At this rate, I wouldnt be surprised if at times he has regretted buying WHT. What's done is done and cant be changed....on anyone's part.

As I said I would, I went to their office today. I didnt know what to expect when I got there. I didnt know if things would be friendly, or if I would be shown some hostility. For a cold contact, it went well and they were friendly. I didnt get what we wanted, but it went fairly well nevertheless. What I did see that was a bit impressive though was almost two whole floors full of cubicals full of techs and support personel in a decent sized building. For the amount of servers they host, even that's not enough, but I'd say give them time to gain more personel. With as many servers as they host, I'd say they stay quite busy.

Another thing I noticed was they didnt seem used to having visitors there. People kept staring at me I guess wondering who this guy was, which helped make me a bit nervous

Originally posted by Webdude
    People kept staring at me I guess wondering who this guy was, which helped make me a bit nervous
    Robert .. I know you for almost 2 years now, I bet you where makign THEM nervous
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

Re: advertising on wht hmm a little BS

Originally posted by JBIZ718
    Ive heard of companies not being aloud to advertise do to conflicts of interest with rackshack.
    I don't know ...but i've sent 10+ emails to the address listed on the bottom over the past 2 months and never received a single reply.
    Marc Wyss - [email protected]
    MCHost Inc - Experts in Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://www.mchost.com

Nah, cant make them nervous on first contact. Bad for business

Too bad HS wasnt there...or maybe he was. I dunno...

Kiwi, you could always walk in the front door like I did.

So what does it cost to advertize on WHT then? Let's see some rates published...

We respond as we have a chance. With Michelle on the job of handling advertising inquiries, we'll try to make sure everyone gets a response.

HOWEVER, with that said, we retain all mail to the whtads box. I have searched for "10+ emails" from [email protected] and find NOT ONE SINGLE email from that address. Further, searching back 2 months to April 13th, I can find NO email from anyone with an address at mchost.com.

Robert

**** Rates are posted in a reply earlier in the thread *****
    Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer

I got a response so I'm a happy camper now.

Since I became an unauthorized "WHT ADS SALESMAN" you are welcome to send the money to my paypal account .. allways happy to help you out of some $$
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

headsurfer: I even cc'ed 2 of them to your email address. Anyways, will try again tomorrow
    Marc Wyss - [email protected]
    MCHost Inc - Experts in Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://www.mchost.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast