Monitoring for Bad Content

Hi Everyone,

I'm just curious as to how each of you monitors your server for bad content. Naturally, it doesn't make sense to snoop within every clients user directory every day to make sure nothing bad has been uploaded, and heck, it wouldn't even be practical to do this once a month if you have a lot of clients.

Do you have some sort of commercial software installed that alerts you of specific file types or uploads containing certain keywords? I think something like this would be extremely useful, if it exists...

I'm eager to hear your responses, and thank you very much for any contributions to this thread.

If your using cPanel I believe it emails you when there is a cgi script uploaded. Other than that you can just search for a ext in the files (such as ".mp3").
    VPSFuze.com - Performance should be noticeable - VPS Hosting at its best.
    HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

Just dont monitor at all, your datacenter will notify you if anything needs to be removed, and as long as you are quick about it there will not be any problem.

You are not expected or required to check up on your customers.
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ultra
    Just dont monitor at all, your datacenter will notify you if anything needs to be removed, and as long as you are quick about it there will not be any problem.

You are not expected or required to check up on your customers.
    Not true, a few threads around here have been explaining datacenters shutting down their servers and recycling them without any backups.
    VPSFuze.com - Performance should be noticeable - VPS Hosting at its best.
    HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

There are a few programs out there but nothing is 100% to pick up anything quesitonable.

We have something like you are describing in our client managment panel and were thinking of making a stand alone version but have not been sure if there would be enough demand for spending the resources for it.
    www.ihostdev.com iHost v3 in beta Host Automation - iPanel v4 beta With Forced Ads in User Sites, illegal file scanner, and new post 4 hosting feature
    www.domainuptime.comSite monitoring

Some kind of system that knows the MD5s of a list of "bad files" would be awesome. Never seen anything like that.

We have crons comb trough logs and pick out any activity that doesn't match a users normal pattern, in case their account got hacked etc.

If you have cPanel, you should really check out WHMXtra (http://www.whmxtra.com). It has tools for scanning for various files that would certainly raise red flags for most hosts. I've used it on every VPS/Dedicated I've run since it came out and really love it.

We used to check on occasion, no more than once or twice a month on each server, for .mp3, .torrent, .mpeg, an .avi files. Obviously monitoring for pictures just isn't feasible, so you're really left up to the 3rd parties (internet users) monitor, and alert you of bad content there.