FTP not responding, and other weirdness

Hi there, I'd really appreciate some help...

I have an XTR which has developed a few problems of late. I have the yellow gui alert for ftp not responding and, sure enough, cannot ftp to any sites, or they are very, very slow and eventually hang. The red alert for the smtp email server comes and goes.

I tried a reboot and it seemed to fix another problem I had with a failed hard drive in my RAID-1 configuration. A reboot seem to cure the failed drive and it appears to have been rebuilt and has a green normal status alert.

SSH was not working for a while, resulting in refused connections, but is now back. I'm getting an on/off alert for a failed fan - it comes and goes and temperatures seem pretty cool and I have a replacement one on order.

I've had a look through logs and messages and may need a few Q & A prompts to come up with any clues to the instability, so if you have any ideas do let me know!

How is your CPU doing? Load and temp? Maybe the server
    is overloaded from some script or abuse that everything
    else fails..

Quote Originally Posted by ironfist
    How is your CPU doing? Load and temp? Maybe the server
    is overloaded from some script or abuse that everything
    else fails..
    15-minute CPU load average is 0.00...
    The processor is currently 33 degrees Celsius...

Hardly overworked, but ftp access does come and go now, so maybe some other process is causing it to struggle?

Check power supply and fan...

I had a raq4 that was acting up periodically with similar symptoms. I replaced the fan and power supply and all was good.

Best of luck!

Slow and/or problematic connections may be due to a DNS resolver error. Has your ISP changed their DNS server IPs recently?
    http://www.lamphowto.com/ - LAMP and LAMP+SSL HowTo
    http://www.cobaltfaqs.com/ - Cobalt FAQs and HowTos

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT
    Slow and/or problematic connections may be due to a DNS resolver error. Has your ISP changed their DNS server IPs recently?
    Thanks for the replies folks.

My colo did change the reverse dns IP recently, although the old IP was still in operation.

I'm also getting regular fan failing messages although the fan speeds are fine for most of the time. I replaced a faulty hard drive and the RAID side of it looks fine. It uses about 78GBs of data transfer each month and has 1GB of RAM with about twenty sites on it.

There were no specific ProFtpd error messages in the logs so perhaps it was just overuse, unless anyone's got any more ideas?

I also lost the two folk near the data centre that used to be on hand for fixing my RAQs at short notice, so I'm looking around for managed hosting now. I used cobaltsupport.com for a few problems and they were very quick. However, their charges are very steep and they failed to reply to several emails when I asked for further information and assistance...