* Enom ate my domain!

My domain expired on October 28th, 2006. This is usually a bad thing to let happen, but the login that my reseller previously gave me didn't work, and he's long gone. So I contacted Enom, who gave me a month and a half runaround trying to verify my identity.

I'm a high school student, so the only ID I have is my high school ID, which they wouldn't accept. Then they conceded that since public school is run by the government, it must be a real ID, but it needs to show an address. After an arguement and a phone call, I scanned my mom's ID as well. Her address didn't match my comtact information, because I used the post office box, since recieving mail at my home address isn't exactly safe with kids running around stealing mail and leaving it torn up in the middle of the road. Some time later, when they got back from Thankgiving vacation, after being told no a few times, I scanned a piece of mail that went to my mom at the post office box. On December 12th, the domain was mine again.

And what do I find? My domain is in extended RGP. This means that I can't renew it without paying them $160. It was already a pain in the bum finding the $30 I expected. As well as being a high school student, I am also an artist, and the combination of the two means I might get $160 in the course of a YEAR. So fine, I'll let it expire and register it elsewhere. I check the WHOIS every Friday with a Firefox extension I downloaded. The last time I checked it, it now says my domain is registered to Enom themselves, and won't expire until October 28th 2007.

Enom ate my domain. ;;

I do not think they ate your domain name. You/Your client are just sloppy and are trying to blame enom for your problem

eNom is not at fault here. You are. For allowing your domain to expire.

Now you are upset because you are suffering the consequence of your action.

If you want your domain, then pay the $160 and consider it a valuable lesson learned.

BTW - If you can prove people are stealing your mail, then contact the US Post and they'll install a lockbox maildrop for you.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I contacted Enom BEFORE my domain expired, so don't think I was just lazing about. It's disgusting that I had to go through all that to prove who I am, and doubly so for the amount of time it took. If I could find the reseller who registered my domain I would thwack him for leaving me out to hang like that.

I am upset that my valid government-issued ID was not accepted in time to save my domain from destruction, and I consider it offensive that Enom has registered it to themselves until October 2007 because I was interested enough to fight with them to prove my identity. My bank and my employer accepts that ID. There was no reason for this.

But in the end, what bothers me most is the fight I had to put up to prove that I'm me. I can live with having a .net address instead of a .com, now that I've taken a breath and stepped back. I understand how easy it is nowadays to steal somebody's identity, but anyone without a driver's license or military ID is considered a non-entity after all the rules and regulations in place to prevent such fraud, and that is a scary feeling, even when it's something as trivial as a domain name at stake.

I am getting a learner's permit as soon as my birthday happens. >.<

Oh, and thank you for that tip, Mrzippy, this whole neighborhood will appreciate knowing that. I hope they have something that can withstand baseball bats. o.o;

some states will issue identity cards to people who don't have driver's licenses. or people who just want a second ID

if you really want the domain, see if it is in enom's club drop, then bid for it.

Inviting Federal Intervention

Mr. Zippy isn't going to like my post.

I'm having the same experience as Amauril. Enom has kidnapped my domain name and is holding it for ransom. There's no other way to describe it.

I don't think I have to tell you, but the Democrats have just taken over congress, they're looking for new ways to "fight for the little guy", and Mama Pelosi is feeling her oats. New Hampshire has two new Democratic congressmen who are looking to make their mark. They already hate the Internet with all its freedom and are looking for any excuse to reign it in. This is perfect: beat up on business AND take more control of the Internet. We may even get a full-blown federal bureau like the ATF to "help" things along. Pelosi has already promised everybody broadband access.

So, there's this CORPORATION (eNom) that's steeling domain names from high school students and little community non-profit organizations and charging exorbitant prices to get them back. Nothing was done that was illegal so there ought to be a law. If the government takes over domain names then it will be done "fairly."

As far as I'm concerned, the Democrats can take all their regulations and stuff them where the sun don't shine. But, someone's going to scream and the government will "do something." The Internet can police itself or Mama Pelosi will be more than happy to grab more power and police it for you.

From there, they'll look for new ways to "help" the Internet. eNom is helping to make the Internet a target for regulators. Perhaps they'll find this a "valuable lesson."