Is it time to get a new ISP?

I've been with comcast cable for about 2 or 3 years. My mpbs is 2.5. I was wondering if its time to upgrade to a "faster" isp. What ISp would this be? And how would i know what ISPs are available in my area?

what state are you in that would help us narrow down options

I want to keep it confidential. Just list me that possibilities.

Not sure what speeds are available in the US, but if you can get a faster speed, go for it..

I was paying 14.99(GBP) per month for 8mbps, upgraded to Sky Broadband which is 16mbps for 10.00(GBP) per month. Loving the speed! I get a consistent 1,200kb/s download..

We need to know the states.

There are many different companies operating in many different states.

If you want to keep it confidential, your best bet is yellow page for phone service.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Comcast offers speeds up to 12 Mbps in many locations so you may be able to just upgrade your existing service. Many places also have DSL service up to 8 Mbps some even up to 16Mbps. Some parts of the US also do have fibre service as well.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

There isn't much to tell you other than a USA national ISP such as AOL, Earthlink, MSN, etc, because you don't list location.

Not every location has competition.. I know my location (Lubbock, TX) has one cable provider, 2 local DSL companies, 1 high speed wireless provider, and.. a lot of people using ATT ADSL.

I know my internet sucks.. 4mbit/512k = $40/month

IMHO the best choice available in the US is Verizon FiOS. If it's in your area - get it!

I have been using it for many months now - 100% uptime, never a reduction in speed.

I have Comcast, and my service is 6m/384k.

Quote Originally Posted by MGCJerry
    I have Comcast, and my service is 6m/384k.
    I have Comcast as well - my service has been really patchy lately - up-and-down all of the time. Sometimes it just randomly shuts off, and then turns back on. I don't know what makes it do that. But I'm really considering Verizon Fios. I know several people that have this and they say its 100x's faster than any cable internet they have ever had.

I've been having the same slowdown issues and when calling them I get the canned "we are upgrading" message. Going on what, 5 months now.

Anyway, my other options (financially viable) are DSL, Satellite, or dialup. Fios isnt available in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by akasixcon
    I want to keep it confidential. Just list me that possibilities.
    I hope you don't keep your location confidential for whichever provider you choose to call! Without knowing even the slightest information about where you're located, we can't begin to provide any sort of valuable information to you.

ISPs, services, speeds, etc... all vary by market/location. If you don't want to give us any information about where you are, you won't find the help that you're looking for.
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

Check out thelist.com for some options in your area. We have a choice mainly between Comcast and Qwest.

Here ya go... link

Without a location, its now your job to fish through them and search if you are not happy with comcast.

Fios sounds very promising. We bought our cable service for the past 2 or three years paying about $50 or 60 for just the internet, I think($100 total including the Cable TV and Internet combined).

But yes I knew somehow that my internet technology was somewhat outdated. But what would someone living in SC be expecting for internet service? I tried putting my address on Verizon's website but there was an error, I will call them tomorrow (or today if they are open durign sundays).

So Optic Fibers are better than cable? Pros/Cons?