Lots of problems with Softlayer

I originally signed up with these guys because it seemed that everyone here unanimously thought they were a good company (as per my research anyways).

When I initially signed up, I suffered (as did many of their clients apparently) intermittent 10 second slowdowns due to the Softlayer nameserver problem.

Then their proposed solution prevented my server from sending mail.

Then their proposed solution for sending mail was to once again use softlayer nameservers which no longer caused lag (which means it was their fault to begin with, even though they claimed there was no issue with it, and they charged me for this support request)

Then the server started randomly freezing. Sometimes it would just be apache and other times it would be the entire machine. They found nothing wrong with it so just rebooted it initially... eventuall they replaced the ram claiming it would go away.

Shortly after replacing the ram, the machine then started (today) having a "write protect" issue that prevented mysql and apache from working properly causing all my database driven sites to go down.

All in all the server has stopped serving pages about 4-6 times in the last 1.5 months I've been with them. I've received no partial refunds or adequate reasoning behind why all these issues are ocurring.

This leads me to be very unsure about the stability of the machine and hardware in the near future.

That being said, I can't say their service is as bad as what I've suffered in the past. They answer tickets quite fast and generally provide a quick fix but the fact remains that these problems keep ocurring, and there is no real reason given as to why it may be happening.

Is this just me or are other people also having issues?

No issues here but no hosting company is perfect.

As for hardware issues you are bound to get a few customers with hardware problems in a large company such as SoftLayer.
    I dunno about you but SL seem like the company which you can talk to about these issues.

Maybe it might be an idea sending a ticket or talk to someone through LiveChat or their forums explaining your issues with them.
    Centation Web Services
    Bristol based web design
    Offering website design, SEO, website hosting, website development and domain registration.

We'll I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt since their service seems quite up to par which is generally very difficult to find nowadays. I'm still assuming it's an isolated case and recommending people to them. But time will tell. If the problems keep ocurring I will just have to move elsewhere.

I'm not having any issues, but I run my own DNS.

If you're seeing your filesystems going read-only, that sounds like you're having disk errors, and your drive may be on the way out.

It's a real pain if this happens with the /var filesystem. That's where MySQL keeps its databases, and it's also where the system keeps its logfiles. So if you get an error, and Linux does its "write protect" thing, not only does MySQL stop working, but there is nothing logged anywhere to indicate what happened!

I have 2 high end servers and one smaller dual core server with SoftLayer. God I couldn't be happier. The DNS issue was something that we did not experience as we run our dns dedicated servers in other datacenters.

Back in July when I ordered my first server they did have to replace a faulty RAID card. No other hardware problems since. Knock on wood. Just brought a quad core dual xeon server online with SoftLayer a few weeks ago.

Yeah, it was the "/var" mount that had the write problem. Never seen it before.

The problem is resolved so we'll wait and see how it goes.

Err, the problem was not DNS.. it was nameserver or something. In the /etc/hosts file.

I also have a server with them, and have gotten great support so far.
    Had to get O/S reload due to a hard drive failure and got a free upgrade to RHEL4 with it.
    I did however had the same problems with their nameservers. A quick search on their support forums pointed me to a post saying not to use them, since they sucked, and to use these instead:

nameserver 208.67.222.222
    nameserver 208.67.220.220

Both public name servers. Since then, no other problems I've had.

Give em another chance

-d

DNS = Domain Name Server = nameservers which are specified in your hosts file :-0
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

So, this is the 4th time my server has gone down (again since I posted this thread). Every time I get a support response "your server is back up. please confirm" and that's it. No explanation, no nothing.

It looks like I need to hire a monkey to submit support requests every time the server goes down because this isn't professional.

Imagine what I must be trying to tell my clients.

I'm getting quite dissapointed at this juncture.

40 minutes and counting.

I have all most 75 servers with them, they are the best.

I have been hosting Web sites since 95 and you are allways going to have issues with hardware , software, network, but whats important is how fast the provider is willing to work with you on getting things fixed and softlayer is the best.

Jay

That's all fine and dandy... But the "you'll always have issues" doesn't have much relevency here.

This is the 4th time in 30 days, this time it's gone for more than 40 minutes and every time there's a problem there doesn't seem to be a very clear understanding of what went wrong (in order to prevent it in the future). Case in point... it KEEPS HAPPENING.

75 servers?

Why dont you pick up the phone and call them ?

Yes, 75 servers, my monthly bill is about 17K/month

Jay

"Your ticket has been assigned and is currently being reviewed. An update will be available soon."

No reason to call... unless I think they are lying to me.

Sit patiently

2 hours and counting. Server is accessible, but nothing is being served. Problems all started when server froze and needed to be rebooted. I'm assuming that there's a corrupt file or something.

Well, it's back up now. No rhyme or reason for why it crashed. Previous issues were hardware related. I have to assume these are too.

Regardless, I've giving them one more chance. If it crashes again, it's back to my previous host.

have you asked them to diagnose your hardware like checking the disks and ram etc, after of course ruling out any possivbility of it being software related, which is also possible. They will not voluntarily replace or test hardware unless youve ruled out software issues yourself and request them to rule out hardware issues also.
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

This is a f***ing nightmare. The entire server started acting very odd... apache was stopping serving in burps and the server load was jumping up to above 400 with no visible processes. Then I got some I/O errors and mysql and apache eventually didn't even start.

So now everything is dead. After calling them they are provisioning another server which I will try to copy stuff unto from the old HD which they will put in it. Said it will take about 3 hours.

All in all the server has been down about 6 hours today. I have to stay awake now to configure the new one once its up. Couldn't even successfully backup data because of the load problem.

What a nightmare man. I've never had this bad a problem with a server before. And this machine is supposed to be twice as powerful as my last one. I was running the exact same sites on a dual xeon and they ran fine. Now on a dual core dual processor it's getting killed.

The software issue isn't plausible.. nothing has changed and software issues due to my alterations couldn't have possibly resulted in this. This server already had memory issues that were acknowledged by the staff. I'm guessing the hard drive has been corrupted as well.

All in all this swap should have been suggested by them a while ago in my opinion. Hardware is their responsibility and they certainly left it up to me to make the decisions about what needs to be done. I'm the one who requested the swap. I'm the one who requested the FSCK check.

The one thing I cannot stand is a host with no accountability. They shouldn't be trying to offload their responsibilities by constantly claiming it's a software issue when they can't offer any explanation for the effects.

What a horrible day. I'm overly stressed and totally dissapointed. I've contacted all the people I recommended to Softlayer and have told them to hold off. I am going to move back to Ethr.net after I get the sites back on temporarily. This is how you lose your business man.