Fourth Level Domains....who allows them?

Greetings! I'm glad to have found this forum. :-)

Can you please recommend a reputable host who allows fourth level domains (apologies if I have worded that wrong)?

What I need is someone who will host my domain name:

"ddddd.com"

...and allow me to use subdomains like:

"aaaaa.bbbbb.ccccc.ddddd.com"

....or at least:

"bbbbb.ccccc.ddddd.com"

Who would you recommend?

CHEERS!

David

Hello,
    Any host would allow you that, as long as you have access to your domain name DNS settings. You can easily setup a DNS A record for your domain dddd.com and point your aaaa.bbbb.ccccc.dddd.com to the IP where dddd.com is created.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaw
    Hello,
    Any host would allow you that, as long as you have access to your domain name DNS settings. You can easily setup a DNS A record for your domain dddd.com and point your aaaa.bbbb.ccccc.dddd.com to the IP where dddd.com is created.

Cheers

Man, oh man....I wish that were the case. But GoDaddy made it clear to me verbally and in an email follow up....that they would only allow....

"ccccc.ddddd.com"

.....and not even....

"bbbbb.ccccc.ddddd.com"

Do you think I'm misunderstanding them (both the verbal and email)? Or is there something else about this that I'm missing?

CHEERS!

David

Quote Originally Posted by student_of_hosts
    Do you think I'm misunderstanding them (both the verbal and email)? Or is there something else about this that I'm missing?
    Yes you misunderstood them and you're missing some points OR you didn't explain what you want to do
    If you want the DNS to remain to godaddy then it's by their rules. If you host the domain to a host provider you do whatever you want from your control panel

Also a quick note. If you want so long subdomains for search engines only don't. They will ban you easy and fast. Few domains still survive the sweep
    --- ZARDEN.com : Buy and Market Domain Names ---

Quote Originally Posted by domnom
    Yes you misunderstood them and you're missing some points OR you didn't explain what you want to do

Hi Domnom....thank you for the reply! Here is what GoDaddy emailed me (and confirmed verbally). Can you tell me where I might have miscommunicated what I was after?:

Hi David,

We only allow the subdomain, so 1 level. (ie david . david. c o m)
    So what your asking for is not doable on our system.

Regards,

Executive Accounts Manager
    godaddy . c o m
    Monday-Friday 8:00-4:30
    480-505-8885

on our system
    You continue not clarifying where you will host your DNS so in case you host it to godaddy you misunderstood right there

You continue not clarifying where you will host your DNS so in case you host it to godaddy you misunderstood right there

Hey DomNom...I'd ask that you forgive me my naivete, and that you accept my sincere gratitude for your continued goodwill in helping me. I think I now better understand your point, and I should have made the following distinction earlier.

My conversation with GoDaddy was not related to registering the domain "ddddd.com". It was exclusively about having them host the website "ddddd. com" and what I had hoped would include the ability to have them host my four level subdomains....down to...

"bbbbb. ccccc. ddddd . com"

I hope I said that right. If so, does this help you to be able to advise me on what the issue might be? If I don't care about SEO...and just want to be able to make use of and distribute four level subdomains.....is your point that pretty much all first tier hosting companies would allow that? If so, what do you think the GoDaddy issue with it is?

CHEERS!

David

.....is your point that pretty much all first tier hosting companies would allow that? If so, what do you think the GoDaddy issue with it is?
    It's possible that GoDaddy's system doesn't support it. It's also possible that they actually do support a subdomain of "bbbb.ccccc" giving rise to the desired "bbbbb.cccc.ddddd.eeee" but that their support person has absolutely no idea.

As far as I know it's possible with cpanel. Whether it's possible with Plesk or Ensim or any of the others, I have no idea. It does depend a bit on what you actually want to do with the 4th level domains as to how well it will work with each control panel.

hi,

I completely agree with thelaw any host can allow you the subdomains as you want. There is no restriction on that as as long as you have access to your domain name DNS settings.

Quote Originally Posted by brianoz
    It's possible that GoDaddy's system doesn't support it. It's also possible that they actually do support a subdomain of "bbbb.ccccc" giving rise to the desired "bbbbb.cccc.ddddd.eeee" but that their support person has absolutely no idea.

As far as I know it's possible with cpanel. Whether it's possible with Plesk or Ensim or any of the others, I have no idea. It does depend a bit on what you actually want to do with the 4th level domains as to how well it will work with each control panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by varshadembla
    hi,

I completely agree with thelaw any host can allow you the subdomains as you want. There is no restriction on that as as long as you have access to your domain name DNS settings.

Hey Brianoz...Varshadembla :-)

Thank you so much for the input. It is instructive, constructive, and reeeeeeally appreciated. With your help, and the help of domnom and everyone else who is participating in this thread....I now have some new "ammo" to go back to GoDaddy with on Tuesday.

I will update as to their response.

CHEERS!

David

If they said they will not host it why go back to GoDaddy ?
    They don't change their policy for one person

There are 1000s of hosts willing to do this and much more if you will them your $X.XX dollars per month

Why you torture your self with Godaddy if it's a webhosting issue only ?

Go this forum and post a request about this and you will see a lot of people offering their services with pleasure

and by the way Happy New Year for all of us

I'm sure that any host with DirectAdmin or cPanel can do this for you.

I have a server with DirectAdmin and many of my users have setup subdomains like that. I also have a reseller account with cPanel and it works.

Godaddy's system probably can't do it, just find another host.

I see centralnic domains on the dotster search page. they are like uk.com

is this what you are looking for?

Drat! I reeeeally must be doing something wrong.

I just called Network Solutions.....and asked about this. I explained to the tech support guy that the url that I used to find their tech support number is:

customersupport.networksolutions. com/contact. php

....and that I wanted to host/register domains with them that would allow me to do the same thing. The example I gave (in addition to the one above) is.....

"if I register "www. myspace. com" and then want each of my users to have their own page.....

david. myspace. com
    andrea. myspace. com
    william. myspace. com

etc....etc....

can I do that?"

The tech support guy said they do not support that...and that I couldn't do that without registering EACH SUBDOMAIN as a separate domain name.

I promise....I asked five different ways.....and the answer was the same. "Nope!".

Can someone just refer me to one of the "big boys" hosting companies that DOES support this sort of thing so at least I can start there and then consider more "boutique" companies for my hosting needs based on better service, more features, etc.? I'd just like to hear directly from the mouths of one of the most established, first tier hosting companies that this sort of thing is ok to do. My entire business model relies on it. I need....

http:// aaaa. bbbb. cccc. com (with at least 15 text characters for each of those levels)

Who should I call?

CHEERS!

D

For some reason you refuse to hear what people say in this forum

The best advice i can give you is to go to shared webhosting area and ask there for webhosting suggestions
    It's not a name related issue

Also a tip, ask for wildcard subdomains, these will do what you want

The tech support guy said they do not support that...and that I couldn't do that without registering EACH SUBDOMAIN as a separate domain name.
    Unfortunately in this case you're just dealing with a dumb tech. The simple truth is that once you register "myspace.com" (poor choice of example here, may not have helped) you ALREADY have every subdomain under it registered. I don't care what any ignorant tech says, that's the truth. Whether you can host it or not with their service is another matter!

Can someone just refer me to one of the "big boys" hosting companies ...
    Save yourself some time here the big companies don't understand this stuff, find someone who does on here and go with them! I promise this all works - I've lectured on it. Your assumption that the big companies can help more than the little companies is wrong here - perhaps if you got through to a second or third level support person that would prove true, you'd have more success from them than the 1st level guys, but that isn't going to happen (the 1st level guys are meant to prevent you having access). I'm equivalent to a third or fourth level support guy if that helps!

For some reason you refuse to hear what people say in this forum

The best advice i can give you is to go to shared webhosting area and ask there for webhosting suggestions
    It's not a name related issue

Also a tip, ask for wildcard subdomains, these will do what you want
    Hey Domnom....thank you for your continued contribtion. Very kind of you. Regarding "wildcard subdomains", I'm not sure that's what I need. Seems that wildcard subdomains provide for someone typing in a "non existent" subdomain.....with the result being a redirect to the main domain. Is that right?

So....if you have and use a legitimate subdomain like "cccc. dddd. com" and someone types "xxx. dddd. com" by mistake or intentionally....it would redirect back to "dddd. com". Do I have that right?

Would you say what I need is "unlimited sub domains"....or do you still think "wildcard domains" permission is what I need?

CHEERS!

D

Quote Originally Posted by brianoz
    Unfortunately in this case you're just dealing with a dumb tech. The simple truth is that once you register "myspace.com" (poor choice of example here, may not have helped) you ALREADY have every subdomain under it registered. I don't care what any ignorant tech says, that's the truth. Whether you can host it or not with their service is another matter!

Save yourself some time here the big companies don't understand this stuff, find someone who does on here and go with them! I promise this all works - I've lectured on it. Your assumption that the big companies can help more than the little companies is wrong here - perhaps if you got through to a second or third level support person that would prove true, you'd have more success from them than the 1st level guys, but that isn't going to happen (the 1st level guys are meant to prevent you having access). I'm equivalent to a third or fourth level support guy if that helps!

Brianoz.....thank you! I'd love to post a "hosting request" in the appropriate forum, but I don't yet have the requisite 10 posts under my user name to do so (this is post #8...woohoo!!).

Any chance you can just throw me a bone and recommend three different hosts who you think will both handle my "subdomain desires" and also who will have a phone number I can call (right now if possible) to speak to a real person there? I ask for three names in order to keep things fair and balanced for host providers.....this way you're not steeeeeering me in one specific direction.

Up for that? I would be in your debt.

CHEERS!

D

student,
    A wildcard would certainly work and with properly done scripting if the persons 4th level domain works it would direct to there and if it does not exist to the main page.

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen)
    student,
    A wildcard would certainly work and with properly done scripting if the persons 4th level domain works it would direct to there and if it does not exist to the main page.
    Hey Stephen....I would be "wildly" grateful if you could take up my humble (on bended knee) request above (two posts up) to Brianoz.

Got a few names of providers who fit the description?

CHEERS!

D

Would you say what I need is "unlimited sub domains"....or do you still think "wildcard domains" permission is what I need?
    I don't mention terms randomly
    Unlimited subdomains is just an option to have unlimited subdomains
    Wildcard subdomains is *.domain.com
    In other words whatever you type before .domain.com nomatter how deep (levels) the full domain url becomes it resolves to .domain.com

You don't clarify what you want to do so i don't think i can help you more
    Don't search someone specific to do this
    Visit the shared hosting area and read the posts of others

There are lot of companies capable to do it
    I asked the same from one webhost provider from one of my customers and i had about 5-10 emails to give them understand what i want until i contact the owner (which is not possible with the big guys you're searching) and sort it out in 10 minutes

Research and cooperate with the community
    This topic would be smaller if you read and explain in detail what you want to do
    Google it. If it's so important for your business as you say search a bit more

I don't mention terms randomly
    Unlimited subdomains is just an option to have unlimited subdomains
    Wildcard subdomains is *.domain.com
    In other words whatever you type before .domain.com nomatter how deep (levels) the full domain url becomes it resolves to .domain.com

You don't clarify what you want to do so i don't think i can help you more
    Don't search someone specific to do this
    Visit the shared hosting area and read the posts of others

There are lot of companies capable to do it
    I asked the same from one webhost provider from one of my customers and i had about 5-10 emails to give them understand what i want until i contact the owner (which is not possible with the big guys you're searching) and sort it out in 10 minutes

Research and cooperate with the community
    This topic would be smaller if you read and explain in detail what you want to do
    Google it. If it's so important for your business as you say search a bit more

Thank you, domnom. I am indeed heeding the advice you offer...and Googling like crazy :-)

Here's what I want to do. I want to register the domain "dddd. com", host it somewhere, and then sell my website users subscriptions that would give each user their own unique subdomain that they can custom create the name of.

So....let's say that user #1's name in real life is Joe Jackson. He might choose to buy the rights to "joejackson.dddd. com".

Further, what I really want to be able to do is offer more depth....so that there are two levels of system generated (by me) prefixes...and the user's prefix as well. So I want to be able to set up:

"bbbb.dddd. com"

And then sell a subscription that gives a user the rights to use:

"joejackson.bbbb.dddd. com"

So....I would set up the subdomain...."bbbb.dddd. com"....and then the each user would get to select their own prefix to attach to that. We might end up with something like this:

user#1, whose real life name is Joe Jackson

user#2, whose real life name is William Schumacher
    "williamschumacher.bbbb.dddd. com"

etc....

Whew! Does that make sense?

CHEERS!

D

Just to clarify my post above.....I don't want all the subdomains to resolve back to the main site.

So...if a user types in their unique subdomain:

I want it to go to their own page on my site....not to the main home page for "dddd. com".

Make sense?

CHEERS!

D

If you said that from the beggining you would save some 100s keystrokes

This is subdomain redirection and usually offered free by many services around the web. This is not a simple request to reply, you need a script capable to maintain and administer the accounts and if you think you can do it manually then i'm saying for sure you can't because as a customer i want to change the setting whenever i want and not send an email to update them for me

Also i don't think it's a good business plan. Are you sure you didn't search the internet and didn't find many of these service to have very low traffic ? (and i'm talking about paid services but for free)

If you said that from the beggining you would save some 100s keystrokes

This is subdomain redirection and usually offered free by many services around the web. This is not a simple request to reply, you need a script capable to maintain and administer the accounts and if you think you can do it manually then i'm saying for sure you can't because as a customer i want to change the setting whenever i want and not send an email to update them for me

Also i don't think it's a good business plan. Are you sure you didn't search the internet and didn't find many of these service to have very low traffic ? (and i'm talking about paid services but for free)

Domnom....right you are. I should have been much clearer much earlier. I won't make that mistake again....and I appreciate your good natured and patient handling of replies. Thank you so much for seeing this through.

As for the business plan...it's a work in progress. :-) Are there others that readily come to mind that crashed and burned memorably?

CHEERS!

D