Do it yourself or outsource?

I'm looking at some email hosts (everyone.net, fusemail, mailsnare, ..) to handle my email for me. I have spent lots of time reading the product offerings, terms of use, privacy policy, their setup and configuration. Still did not choose one.

i have admin skills, but I wanted to save time. The time to configure and secure Postfix-SMTP-AUTH-TLS, SpamAssassin, ClamAV, virtual domains, ... Plenty of guides on the web, don't know how good and complete they are.

For those who have faced this before, is it really a timesaver to outsource this type of task? I have a gut feeling that to use a 3rd party i'd need to know almost as much to do my own. There is also the time to establish the relationship with the provider. Accounting is a nobrainer - outsource it. same with legal. This stuff, not so sure.

Is is just an email provider you want? Have you checked with some hosting companies as well? Handling it yourself can ge pretty cumbersome and I am guessing you would have your own server as well? The problem with that is that if it goes down at 1 a.m., are your prepared to wake up to fix it?

Outsourcing can usually save a lot of your own valuable time - which is what a lot of people realize once they are ready.

Through outsourcing you can always push the blaime and kick up a fuss to someone else when its not going well, but in the same token you have to upstick and change companies as a last resort when things arnt going well your not in control of your own sucess as it were.

Setting up postfix/spamassasin/clamav/virtual domains is alot easier than some of the HOWTO's would have you think!

I used everyone.net for some time, but it was getting expensive with the number of users. The hosted gmail solution is really my favorite now.
    Two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors, previously a super-affiliate.