Largest Hosting Companies?

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the largest hosting companies, ranked by number of sites hosted? I would like to find a list that shows at least the top 100.

Thank you
    billyww

I don't know a list..
    but to name a few.
    godaddy, liquidweb, westhost, bluehost, 1&1.

Hope that helps!

www.wattproxy.info

http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/global/

No idea how accurate that is, but there you go

Thanks for the quick replies.

I just finished looking through the list at webhosting.info, which shows the top 50. But I'm puzzled because GoDaddy appears to be missing

It's on such tables that we see that most domains are parked... what a waste.
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

Quote Originally Posted by billyww
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I just finished looking through the list at webhosting.info, which shows the top 50. But I'm puzzled because GoDaddy appears to be missing
    Godaddy and yahoo outsource their hosting services to a white-label company. I have yet to see a list with any credibility.

wildwestdomains btw is godaddy..
    I forgot this host..but I remember they hosted 6million domains.

www.wattproxy.info

hi

it will be hard to tell who is the top 10, most ranks are done on registration of domain names not actual hosting, the top 10 id say

1and1
    web.com
    hostgator
    site5.com i think they are still growing fast

the list of top 50 would be nice based on hosting and not domains, id like someone to make a list and have company submit there info , just so people can see where they stand with growth and numbers

add ipower to the list
    Alex Maleki -/- 1.866.596.8401
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.
    http://www.iteraweb.com | 24x7x365 Phone/Chat Support

Your best bet would be to check on a site like ipwalk

Be sure to use your judgement to knock the domain registrar's off the list to start as a lot of them host the dns on behalf of their users but not the sites.

1and1
    ipower
    yahoo
    bluehost
    hostgator
    midphase

The above are definitely 'up there' in terms of size.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I wonder how many times this subject has been posted on??
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    I wonder how many times this subject has been posted on??
    You're brand-spanking new here. Get used to it: I'm sure a about a thousand of my posts have been in threads named similarly

New threads keep the site going! Don't see it as a bad thing, if everyone used the search function there would be a lot less 'visible' activity.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I do not disagree with you at all. However it hasn't changed much from the last time this type of thread was created.

Same companies still dominate.

baa humbug hostfrog, this guy just wanted to start a thread, oh ill make a prediction someone will start the same thread in 7 days or less

heh, didn't mean to be the grinch here. On with the thread!

1and1
    ThePlanet
    Web.com
    HostGator
    Hostway

next week??

1and1
    ThePlanet
    web.com
    HostGator
    Hostway

Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    heh, didn't mean to be the grinch here. On with the thread!

1and1
    ThePlanet
    Web.com
    HostGator
    Hostway

next week??

1and1
    ThePlanet
    web.com
    HostGator
    Hostway
    1and1 and hostgator are almost brand new to the list. It takes time to 'surpass' the larger players in the industry but it's certainly by no means a stagnant list.
    David

Exclamation GalaxyWebs

i think galaxywebs are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    i think galaxywebs are good.
    Good ! = Largest

I'm sorry if I caused an issue. I wasn't "just trying to start a thread". I'm a novice about webhosting, but I have two small non-commercial sites which I created as a hobby, and I need to find a new host for them, and came to this forum to try to get some leads.

Quote Originally Posted by billyww
    I'm sorry if I caused an issue. I wasn't "just trying to start a thread". I'm a novice about webhosting, but I have two small non-commercial sites which I created as a hobby, and I need to find a new host for them, and came to this forum to try to get some leads.
    Billy,

Don't worry No harm done!
    Some users simply get their panties in a bunch when they see similar threads being created daily: The remainder of us don't seem to mind.

With that said your best option might be to start a thread looking for recommendations. If you post an exact listing of what you want such as:

1. What control panel
    2. What amount of bandwidth / space you require
    3. What price you're willing to pay
    4. Any location preferences

You should be able to get a decent list of recommendations. Just be sure to be as thorough as possible to avoid problems.

Best of luck with the hunt!
    David

Largest Web Hosting Companies

Quote Originally Posted by Affiliate7
    It's on such tables that we see that most domains are parked... what a waste.
    Its really difficult to find a truly accurate gauge of the largest hosting companies.

To do so you have to do alot of sifting through affiliate motivated Top 10 lists, lists biased towards advertisers, and lists generated from domain name registrations only (which is not a great indicator, because some users manage their domains with one company and host with another, and others are just domainers holding onto them as an investment.)

Alot of the challenges are certainly not exclusive to the web hosting industry though. (minus the domain name registration issue).

It'll be interesting to see if anyone digs up a site with an accurate list.
    Hostway: The Hosting Company
    Web Hosting | Hosted Exchange

David
    Thank you for your quick reply. I'll follow your advice and start a new thread on the subject within the next day or two

I do agree. It is hard to truly get a feel for what hosting provider is largest out there or should I say - which group of providers are the largest. You can get a since for it through many of the review sites or list that are available out there - but those can be biased and flawed in their legitimacy.

To me - it is a hard question to answer because I would judge not only on the number of actual clients the host has - but several other determining factors, such as support and client satisfaction.

The reason being - you can have a provider offering a butt load of space and bandwidth on a single plan for what it cost you to buy 2 sodas and stick of gum that has racked up on the number of clients they have but their staff is limited and their support is bad.

Maybe a more accurate account would also include a ratio of staff:clients. Number of actual DC's owned. A server:client ratio to show performance and stability. Etc. Etc.